What are you playing?

I’ve always enjoyed the general media discussion posts on The Other Site (as well as other sites) and figured a place to have some freewheeling discussion about whatever games currently have our interest would be a good thing to have. All games are welcome: video, board, folk, mind, stately, undignified, etc.

Most of my video gaming time recently has been tied up in Titanfall 2. I usually stay away from the Call of Duty-style FPS games, but I heard some very intriguing buzz about the campaign and decided to pick it up. I didn’t play the first at all, so all I really was expecting was a CoD game with big robots and wall-running. What I wasn’t expecting was one of the tightest, most creative campaigns I’ve played in years. The structure reminds me a lot of Half Life 2, where a new mechanic gets introduced, explored fully, and then discarded in favor of a new one. And in Titanfall 2, there’s a stand-out mission at about the half-way point that introduces a mechanic that you could easily build an entire game around. It’s so hard to talk about because so few people seem to be playing this game, and I really don’t want to spoil it. The introduction of the mechanic in question has the best button prompt I’ve ever seen in a game. Beyond all that, the game just feels so good to play. It’s maybe my favorite game to control since Mario 64. I’m also enjoying the multiplayer a lot, but if you don’t enjoy CoD style multiplayer, this probably won’t change your mind.

1 Like

The short answer: too many games. I’ll stick to the highlights.

On my phone, a couple of games refreshed with recent expansions: Imbroglio and Letterpress. I like the new characters and weapons in Imbroglio, but I really appreciate the not-quite-daily-challenge mode, in which you’re restricted to one character and a few weapons to use over a four day period. Letterpress finally added stat tracking so I know just how well or poorly I’m playing.

On my iPad, a lot of Frost, Mini Metro, and Gems of War. I’ve grown used to the ever-changing nature of GoW and the relatively new guild seals motivated me to play more, for some reason.

And, for something completely different, NCAA Football 14 on my PS3. I’m a Michigan fan, so after they lost to Iowa, I fired up the game and beat the crap out of Ohio State to make myself feel better.

1 Like

I had to remove GoW not long after it came out because I was developing an addiction. Not pretty. I bought the Imbroglio expansion but haven’t really checked it out yet. The array of new items was too daunting, so I decided I would save it for a rainy day. I should give that challenge mod a go, though.

I’m sorry for your loss, but not too sorry. As a Northwestern alum, watching Michigan lose always brings me some degree of schadenfreude. I do hate Iowa more, though.

2 Likes

On pc I play some World of Tanks and recently some World of Warships. I dont like the grind and now just play some tanks/ships I enjoy.
When I have some more time to play I start up Squad (joinsquad.com) It is lot more strategic then CoD/Battlefield but not as much as Arma3. Mic required tho.
I still play Gems of War on the phone. Those devs keep pushing out updates which keeps it interesting. Star Realms lost my interest, but when another tourney shows up I certainly join.
Almost no more game-time on the ipad. It is getting old (iPad3) and my kids claim it more and more :wink:

1 Like

i must admit i am addicted to Gems of War :flushed:

as @Jules and @geigerm already pointed out GoW is an everchanging, always evolving and regularly upgraded phenomenon.
i need my daily dose on my way to level 1000 (910 now).
btw we had a GoW Guild thread on “the other site” and should think about a restart here.

always a game of Brass running for me. just now in the Stately Play tourney [1st Stately Play Brass Tournament] (1st Stately Play Brass Tournament), but even games with strangers are ok for Brass. no quitters, a special community.

Sky Force Reloaded http://discourse.statelyplay.com/t/sky-force-reloaded-high-score-tournament-competition/57/36 has kept me busy and will do for a loong time coming.

Darkest Dungeon (playing on PS4. but might come to mobile too!) is an absolute blast! tough, unforgiving, old school feeling. heroes come, heroes go (fired or passed away).

Steamworld Heist. yeah! the long wait is over! woot!

shame on me, but i’m still playing Boom Beach :pensive: :kissing_closed_eyes:
i never spent a single cent. one of the well done FTP games.
short before maxing out the buildings and troops.
anybody else? you could join our Task Force Fnorfenstein then :wink:

2 Likes

I can understand that reaction–most of the Michigan fan base has an arrogance that basically invites others to root against them. I’d like to think I’m not one of those jerks.

I forgot to mention Hero Generations: Regen. I was lucky enough to win a copy when the devs ran a promotion on Twitter a few weeks ago. It’s a bit shallow (or I’m not putting enough thought into it) but still has enough progression to make things interesting.

2 Likes

Digital Board Game-ish: Nyheim, Frost, Guild of Dungeoneering

Story: Replica (though the fact that it doesn’t save before reaching an ending irks me), Firewatch

Strategy: Mini Metro, Polytopia (beta on Android), Gumballs & Dungeons, Civ VI

Action: Sky Force Reloaded, THUMPER, Owl Boy

1 Like

I’m pretty sure NCAA '14 is the only place you’ll see Michigan beat The Ohio State :smile:

I only game on my iPad and occasionally my phone lately - I just don’t have time to sit in front of the computer anymore, unfortunately. Mostly my phone gets used for quick snippets - Mini Metro, Hoplite, and Threes are in steady rotation.

On the iPad, my most played would have to be Ascension and Twilight Struggle, although I have a steady game of Carcassonne going with @whovian223. I’m also deep down the rabbit hole that is Pathfinder, and an occasional game of Dream Quest.

I tried Guild of Dungeoneering and just couldn’t get into it, not sure why.

1 Like

Geez, I thought you were a good guy, but now that I know you’re a Buckeye fan I’ll have to reevaluate that assessment. :joy:

Back on-topic: I miss playing Carcassonne and would be happy to get a friendly game or two going …

If it’s any consolation, I’m an Ohio fan by marriage… my school’s football team competes in the 2 hand touch division, I think.

I’m always up for a Carca game - I’m js619 on there as well if you want to shoot over an invite. We could see about getting a 3p or more going too; pretty sure @whovian223 would be up for it too?

I swear I’m the only person I know born in Ohio that hates essentially every sport. (aside from Rollerball but that doesn’t technically exist, and yes only the James Caan version)

2 Likes

IPad:
Star Crusade CCG - I find the combo of mechanics to be pretty good. The modules + Hearthstone mechanics really set it apart. I wish the ShanTi had more viable strategies and deck compositions but otherwise I enjoy it. It covers my Hearthstone-style craving and want for more depth pretty easily.
Yomi - Never can get enough :slight_smile:
Puzzle Strike - Still fun as well.
Invisible Inc. - I really hope they bring the DLC to the iPad.
Phoenix II - Almost have all of the ships (missing 4 3 star ships). Overall I like the quick gameplay.
Sky Force Reloaded - Still grinding away.
Junk Jack X - just got a really big update, so I’m back in and crafting away.
Templar Battleforce - Another play through with the new flame engineers :slight_smile:
Plague Inc. - Stupid vampires. Why you gotta be so hard?
C:DDA - Battle vehicles with more dakka. So many things become paste when you hit them at 200+ mph.
Armajet - So. Much. Fun. I suck so badly some games, but it is really a boatload of fun. Controls are tight (sometimes the jetpack start up can be a bit slow), the weapons feel great. I just wish the weapons weren’t gated.

PC:
Starcraft 2 - now that my boys are old enough to let me play for a bit, I’m back in with LotV. And I suck again. Time to drag myself back up the GM league! I’m looking at using the Core hotkey layout and working through the Staircase method to get me back up to where I want to be.
Stellaris - Love the early game. Love the late game. Screw the mid game slog. Once it gets more of the Paradox treatment (i.e Expansions, expansions and more expansions or and some more cosmetic expansions) then it’ll likely be great. Until then, screw the mid game.

1 Like

Did you add your ID to the Star Force Reloaded thread? I don’t think I’ve seen you in my leaderboard.

Definitely would be up for that!

1 Like

I’m always up for Carcassone! -@JHTaube on game center too. My brother and I enjoy “mega” games with all the expansions plus double tiles, but that’s not for everyone.

Other than that, I’m playing Ascension, a rolling games of Summoner Wars with @Blackfyre, Agricola with @Hardco and @Snotty128, Star Realms with my brother, Lost Cities and Stone Age with @johnl plus Patchwork, Ticket to Ride:Europe, Letterpress and WELDER occasionally.

I’ll be looking to add Paperback games if/when the multiplayer async is added.
And I’m up for Red7 games if the bugs are worked out.

1 Like

Added. I forgot to add it in after I replied about the Apple Pencil.

1 Like

I’m not much for gaming on the Mac, but I’ll be reviewing Civ VI. It’s Civ. To me, that’s awesome, but it also means there’s virtually unlimited room to quibble.

On the Xbox, XCOM 2. I feel a little bad that my kids love watching me play, but they do, so it’s almost exclusively reserved for playing when they’re awake. Simultaneously the best and buggiest game I’ve played on the platform. I’m kind of between other games for the system at the moment. For a long while, if I didn’t have anything else going on, I’d play Destiny, but my crew got far enough ahead of me that I don’t really have one now, and didn’t bother buying the latest expansion. Played Overwatch for a while, and liked it a lot, but what I’m really hankering for is a follow-up to the multiplayer from Mass Effect 3. Still my favorite multiplayer experience. I think I just don’t much care for online play against other humans anymore. Maybe I’m too old and slow now?

On the iPad, I mostly play the daily challenges for Bonza and Deus Ex Go, and the old standbys of Honeycomb Hotel and Ascension. Every once in a while I’ll throw in a game of Battle for Hill 218. But I’m in between games for review on iOS at the moment, having put as much time as possible into Civ. Hopefully I’ll play some more Pathfinder and Twilight Struggle soon. I still dip into Marvel Puzzle Quest from time to time, but always feel bad that some of the folks in my alliance keep dropping $100 at a time (which gets me bonuses). I never spend a dime, and I’ve started wondering whether the game is brilliant enough to fake some of those sales in order to make me think it’s reasonable to spend a ton of money on it, because my allies do.

I got a new phone recently, which was an upgrade from a 5S to a 7+, so that was a big jump in size. Figured I’d put Dream Quest on it to put the format through its paces, and that’s still such a lovely design. Not totally balanced, but it explores the design space it’s in so well. Really dig it (again).

Not to get too off topic, but how do you like the size of the 7+? I always thought my 6 was a little too big, but then my job issued me a 5S - I’m not sure I could ever go smaller than the 6… but the + seems really large in comparison.

I like it.*

*: I was nervous about that, so I tried holding one in the store, and it felt grand. Much easier to hold than I was expecting, easy to get my thumb everywhere–it was great. But I noticed I had a finger crooked around the security device attached to the back. When I got it, sure enough, it was a little too big to hold comfortably, so I went shopping for a case with a nubbin or ring on the back to let me do the same thing, and couldn’t find one (I eventually did see one with a ring at a kiosk in a mall, but too late).

So I drilled a few holes in the back of a relatively cheap case, and built my own solution out of instamorph (very neat stuff). Here’s a photo:

So, now, I really like using it. It is a little harder to get in and out of pockets while sitting, but that was always hard, anyway. Plus, after they announced the new Apple Watches, the old ones went on sale for almost half off at Best Buy, so I got one. I use it for virtually nothing other than notifications, navigation, weather, and time, but those alone are marvelous, and keep me from having to pull out the phone very often. The biggest features which sold me on the 7+ were the waterproofing and camera; my kids are old enough now that I’m a little jaded on photos and rarely bring the big camera anywhere, but I still wanted to be able to take better photos than my old phone camera took. It’s been quite satisfactory.