Stately Play Decathlon 2021

Well played, @KYakerDude - those 6 development cards definitely helped!

And @Schlotzky managed to complete the empire at least, which is more than I can say for myself.

(I always seem to forget that the key word in the name of this game is “Race”… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Nice game, @JammaTal!

I really suck at Race for the Galaxy.

1 Like

Congrats, @JammaTal, nice win!

I hear you. Our game is about to finish and I am sitting on 3 6-cost developments worth between 7-10 points each, none of which I’m going to have a chance to play. Whoops.

1 Like

thanks, @whovian223 and @doublebullout, but it was like on rails.
just like Hardco “I was pushed towards military early”. but what failed for him worked for me.
the cards came to me and i just had to play them.

so is Race nothing but a luckfest? you get the cards or not, and that’s it?
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for posting @whovian223 - do you have a screen cap showing more details? (Or perhaps @JammaTal or @doublebullout can grab one still…)

I believe the tie-breaker in Race is number of cards in hand, followed by a second tie-breaker of number of goods on cards…

Barring that, I may have to go with your Decathlon rank from the previous round, or the really ugly “2 points each” solution.

I don’t have one, unfortunately. I didn’t even realize it was a tie until the scores came out.

I tapped the “done” button while the scores were tallying in my game with @js619 and @JHTaube and it sent me right out to the lobby with no way to see the scores again. Whoops. Our game is done and I’m pretty sure I lost, but here’s hoping of of the others took a screenshot…

1 Like

Only by 1 point @Mirefox! Not sure what happened after my last turn for that extra point but I’ll take my first win of this decathlon lol. Gg!

3 Likes

the Log is helpful with details.

you must tap the X and then you can take extensive lookarounds or go back and forth through the whole Log.

Today I learned there’s a log in Race.

1 Like

Thanks to @JammaTal for sending these…

@doublebullout takes 2nd place with the tie-breaker (5 cards + 3 goods vs 2 cards + 2 goods.)

I think the idea is for the player to have to balance what they want to build against what they can build quickly, but it sure looks like there’s no way to avoid the luck of the draw in the early stages. I got the mining card trifecta (League, Conglomerate, Robots) all in my opening hand. That seems like it should be a big advantage, but it meant holding onto a big 6 cost development card through the opening rounds and not being able to discard Robots or Conglomerate either if I wanted to get the full VP bonus. Then I drew Diversified Economy early, and I thought I’d better prioritize that too as it’s a strong card. Probably a noob mistake in strategy on my part, I think. It’s a race to build a ramshackle empire, not the one with the best feng shui.

2 Likes

Good game @SpiceTheCat and @irishdomer08

2 Likes

Having connection issues at the moment whilst on holidays, can’t seem to connect, will try when I have stronger internet

Hi all! Holidays with intermittent internet are coming up for me as well, so we will take a little break before kicking off Terraforming Mars.

Head on over to the Decathlon Practice Arena if you want to get in a practice game in the meantime!

I also almost forgot we need to pick a 10th game still!

Unfortunately, I don’t recall any new and exciting games coming out in the past 6 months, but we had a pretty rich list of alternates coming into the tournament so there should be plenty to choose from.

Please feel free to start posting your nominations here and I will put out a poll later this month.

Happy summer and happy gaming!

1 Like

Patchwork or Galaxy Trucker

2 Likes

Just thought of a fun idea. Not sure it will work or not.
Railroad Ink Challenge is a roll and write. So it should be able to accommodate many players. Could we all get in a group game? To those that have the game, is this even possible? (I don’t have the game.)

Top third get first place points, middle third get second place points.

Otherwise I love Patchwork and Potion Explosion.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure we could get in a large group challenge in Railroad Ink. Might want to make it the sum of 3 games or something like that to mitigate some of the randomness, but that’s a cool idea.