Stately Play Decathlon 2021

Wingspan does come out in a few weeks as well. It is by far the superior game of the two, but a Railroad Ink challenge might offer the better variety as Wingspan is kind of “yet another engine builder.”

Our test game of Evolution also seems to be working with maybe one small bug that let @Baelnor end his turn when he didn’t mean to.

What’s game 9 again? I feel a Roll and Write would be a little anticlimactic for a final battle. I’m not sure what would be suitable (other than queuing up Through the Ages for a second round).

I’ll nominate Istanbul though…

Game 9 will be Ticket to Ride.

Thanks for the nomination!

let’s wait for Concordia!

Gg! JMH got out fast. I couldn’t hit a decent planet for my doomed world and had to scramble to stay up. Super fast!

Um…@Baelnor I think you posted the wrong screenshot? I see all zeros…

Reminder that if there was a tie of some kind, I’ll need to see how many cards and goods each player had left at the end.

Gg @johnl @Baelnor. Hereby a screenshot with results :grinning: image

3 Likes

Something I was thinking about as after a couple days of trying, beat @whovian223 Ironclad high score. It would be interesting for Decathlon to do like a STS round. Maybe not this time, but something for the future. I might do it as a timed event. Like 10 days to submit your highest score on all 4 STS characters, and your event score would be the average of the 4. Or just the 4 scores added together.

Edit: we could use seeds, so that everyone had the same paths? And we would submit scores from the Run History, so it would have the seed on it.

2 Likes

A neat idea with the one caveat that I believe the iOS and PC games are on two separate versions with some differences, so we’d have to make sure everyone was on equal footing.

2 Likes

Well now you’ve just made me have to break out the Ironclad again! I’ve been trying to get my 3rd Ascension for the Watcher.

2 Likes

Maybe we should do a StS test run before throwing it into a decathlon … ?

2 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea, but not for the decathalon. The biggest problem for me is that a challenge like this rewards grinding over skill. Yes, skill can matter but someone who plays 8 hours a day will likely just have better scores than someone who does 1-2 runs a day. That doesn’t jive with the structure of this decathalon.

That said, I’d totally be up for a different decathalon (or however many games) with score-based games. Someone had mentioned Railroad Ink earlier.

Idea percolating….

1 Like

I’d be way down for some sort of Slay the Spire action. It’s been my work from home lunch game for a while now. I’d shudder to see my /played number on that one…

Hi all!

I’ll give it a few more days here to see how the Terraforming Mars update settles out. Sounds like we may need to swap Ticket to Ride.

I will also post a poll this week with some options for Game 10, so please post here or direct message me if you have a nomination (I’ll start with the short list that did not make the cut originally and add any new nominations.)

Happy gaming!

Two test games of TfM appear to have kicked out a player and replaced them with a bot for no good reason. Maybe we don’t have a round of TfM.

1 Like

That is concerning… @JammaTal do you have any sense of whether this might be related to your concerns about the game being updated and games disappearing?

@SpiceTheCat do you know if those players all upgraded the app or if there is a mix and match of versions happening? Wondering if that might be causing the issue you are seeing.

In any case, I agree we should at least swap the order here and go with Ticket to Ride next.

I was one of the players that got kicked out of TfM. I had updated the game at some point and I believe I continued to play after the update. It seemed to drop me for no reason.

something like this never happened in all my 14 games.
maybe the timer had run down?

i think for two times essential updates have erased all running games in total.
but that’s another cup of tea.

The timer said I still had 10 days left. It was odd that two of us were kicked off around the same time.

Our eighth game is one of the classics - it is only ranked #180 overall on BGG, but is considered by many to be a “gateway” Euro. It is also the “lightest” game in our event so far with a 1.85 / 5.00 Complexity rating…

Ticket to Ride! Link to the App Store

The first player at each table will please create an “Invitation” online game, choose an agreed upon map, and then invite the other two players.

Note: any missing friend requests need to be sent via the Asmodee website.

Recommended settings:

• Standard USA map
  • 15 days

As always, each table can decide if they want to play with a different map.

The winner of each game will please post a screenshot of the final outcome, including scores.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Here are the tables, in standing order:

Table 1
@feederofgoats (side note: 6 out of 7 wins so far!!!)
@KYakerDude
@Hardco

Table 2
@geigerm
@Schlotzky
@jason1002

Table 3
@JMH.75
@irishdomer08
@JammaTal

Table 4
@Codington