Stately Play Decathlon 2021

Hi all,

An update on the final two games for the Decathlon…

We had one clear winner and several that could have gone one way or the other if everyone had voted.

So, we will add Wingspan as our tenth game “Players’ Choice” selection.

Please vote for at least 1 and no more than 2 of the following to determine game 9:

• Galaxy Trucker
  • Le Havre
  • Patchwork
  • Terra Mystica
  • Viticulture

0 voters

Thanks again for your patience!

I did indeed get cut-off and couldn’t complete most of my routes. Good game!

Well, our game just finished. What a beating. @Baelnor took me and @Codington to the woodshed. GG!

1 Like

Yeah, not only did I forget the cardinal rule of TtR (don’t start placing trains until you can complete the whole line), but also forgot that the app doesn’t actually tell you when it’s your last turn. :roll_eyes:

Anyway, we’ll give @Baelnor a chance to post the winning screen but suffice to say it was a train wreck! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yeah…. I didn’t realise you lost points for unfinished tickets!

Good game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, it was a close vote (no surprise!) but Patchwork wins the #9 slot!

We are just waiting for the unfortunately re-started Table 6 on Ticket to Ride (no rush, plenty of time left in August still!) and then I will update standings and post the next set of tables.

Head on over to the Decathlon Practice Arena if you want to get a game of Patchwork or Wingspan in!

Happy gaming!

1 Like

I guess I should probably buy Wingspan and learn to play it.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Womgspan tutorial is particularly helpful but the app is pretty solid regardless.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind the tutorial but then it’s not a particularly complex game. The fun (as far as I’m concerned) is in the replayability / trying to adjust the basic strategy to get the bonus points in each round.

The theming, on the other hand, is excellent! I’m not a birder, but the variety of species and their unique abilities is a great combination of mechanic, variety, and interest. And the other game mechanics (food, eggs, variety of habitats) work quite well IMO.

Definitely worth the purchase for the Decathlon in my books!

Oh, and of course for this crowd I should mention that other than the usual Game Center quirks (read: f@$ing annoyances :stuck_out_tongue: ) the online system seems solid and the brief speech bubbles from opponents works quite well in place of a cumbersome/time-wasting animated replay…

2 Likes

For the record, and while we will still play it, I am very dissapointed that we have chosen to add Wingspan to the Decathlon considering that it has no next turn badge. For someone like me that gets 50+ notifications a day on a light day, I consider the red badge the only real notification of turn for Async, and we exclude games from the Decathlon for insufficient notifications all of the time. I feel like I threw $10 away.

Edit: I was being cranky this morning. Take any complaints from me with a grain of salt. I have enough privilege in life that perhaps I need to remember more to not complain about stupid things like this.

@kennfusion sorry you are feeling like that. For myself, I’m so used to Game Center games being hit and miss with badges that I just take it in stride now. Regular notifications for Wingspan seem to work fine, so there’s that.

As for excluding games, I have to push back a bit as I don’t think we have excluded games that are imperfect with respect to notifications - only games that don’t function at all or have a high risk of games being wiped out mysteriously. As an example, in the current Decathlon my table at least had to send messages here multiple times due to inconsistent badges in Brass.

So, I’m glad to hear you are willing to put up with this because it’s not a reason for disqualification in my books.

FYI, I’ve also joined the Wingspan Discord channel (https://discord.gg/sWwubm5R) and requested a fix for this issue - since regular notifications work, I am hopefully Monster Couch just missed a setting somewhere - I would highly recommend that you and other SP players jump on their and “upvote” my post. (The app does appear to still be in that honeymoon phase where the devs are putting out regular tweaks still.)

2 Likes

Table 6
@JaneHatke
@whovian223
@js619

September is here! Just checking in to see if your game is finally progressing without anyone being replaced by a bot? Standing by to switch from criss-crossing trains to cross-stitching quilts! :stuck_out_tongue:

As of last night, everything was fine. We’re progressing, probably fairly close to being done.

1 Like

Yup, another turn or two and we should be done

1 Like

Good game all!

3 Likes

Good game! I thought I was screwed early and it turns out I was right. LOL

1 Like

Hi everyone! Apologies for the delayed start here…

Our ninth game is very different to the rest in many ways, ranked #93 overall on BGG (but another perennial favourite here on SP!) and can be misleading with its 1.63 / 5.00 Complexity rating…

Patchwork! Link to the App Store

This is another 2 player only game, so the first two players will please invite the player(s) below them so that everyone plays everyone else at the table once (we have not done best of 3 for Patchwork in the past.)

Start a Casual game with “Shuffle” checked, invite your opponent, and you’re off!

Please capture and post a screenshot of all final scoring details as they will be used to break ties - especially the possibility of each player winning one game.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Here are the tables, in standing order:

Table 1
@feederofgoats
@Hardco
@geigerm

Table 2
@JMH.75
@jason1002
@KYakerDude

Table 3
@Schlotzky
@Baelnor
@JammaTal

Table 4
@kennfusion
@irishdomer08
@JaneHatke

Table 5
@doublebullout
@Codington
@SpiceTheCat

Table 6
@johnl
@JHTaube
@js619

Table 7
@whovian223
@HostileApostle
@Mirefox

@HostileApostle what’s your name in the game? I can’t find you on my friends list.

Games created with both @JaneHatke and @irishdomer08

1 Like

CoachSchlotz