Stately Citizen Journalism

Haven’t had the opportunity yet to verify this, but I don’t think the update prevents players from using profanity (so long as it appears in a dictionary, like scrabble), it’s just to keep the AI from using profanity if it has another option.

Actually curious if anybody has determined the general theme of each genre’s abilities? Like is Adventure the primary source of extra points and Horror the key to earning removal tokens?

From the rules:
Mystery: modifying wild cards (still count as whatever letter you picked, but now you get it’s bonuses too) / removing cards from offer row / jailing cards to buy later
Horror: only set with ink remover (kills other players timeless classic cards) / synergy bonuses for coins or VP
Adventure: prestige on purchase for some cards / trash this card for coins
Romance: Trash cards in discard pile / double adjacent cards

Doh, sorry I missed this in the rules, my bad.

I do love, however, that they each have such appropriately themed powers. While it would be fun to dabble in all of them. much like Star Realms, if you don’t focus on just a couple you’ll be spread too thin.

It may be a little off the Stately path, but Battleheart 2 released today. For those not familiar, the original Battleheart was an RPG where you fielded 3 heroes and dragged lines and tapped to fight off waves of enemies. It sounds simple but it was an early example of using the touchscreen to direct RPG action. The original was very charming and I for one am looking forward to delving into the sequel*.

*There was actually sequel named Battleheart Legacy that was a really good ARPG, but was different in many respects to the original Battleheart. This release is a direct sequel to the first.

3 Likes

Had some interest in this one too until I read a review on reddit that said it’s pretty much more of the same - reused graphics and audio and very grindy. I’ll try to find the link later; reviewer seemed pretty bummed that he’d spent money on it, fwiw.

I haven’t played it, but I do have a couple thoughts:

1. I believe there are some new classes.
  2. There is also multiplayer, which is a first for the series.
  3. The original was grindy, too. That’s kind of the point. You aren’t exploring the world or anything like in a traditional RPG, you’re picking a battlefield and fighting off some waves. You gain some XP, then do it again. And again. And again. In this respect, the original was a great mobile title.

This isn’t to say his complaints aren’t valid. I’ll probably pick it up over the weekend and can offer some impressions. That said, I haven’t played the original for a couple years, so I don’t know how well I’ll be able to compare it with the first.

Fighting Fantasy Legends is out too - they’ve released so many that I don’t remember if this is the one I was looking forward too…

Link to TA since App Store doesn’t post correctly here.

Seems like it’s a sequel to the last Fighting (not Final) Fantasy Legends app they released, with three different gamebooks, but the same gameplay. I’ve been sufficiently confused to just steer clear of all of them.

Hey, red mage, I think you meant “Fighting Fantasy.”

:smile:

1 Like

Nope, it’s all about Final Fantasy, all the time. :joy:

3 Likes

Agreed… I downloaded one a few months back, thinking it was the one with dice and character development, and it was purely a digital game book. Dunno if this is the one reviewed a few months back or not, that now goes to a dead link?

ETA: an App Store search shows about 10 different Fighting Fantasy titles, and TWO Fighting Fantasy Legends… no idea what the difference is, but I’m gonna steer clear for now too.

Interestingly, that link leads to the new app, but Nomad still has a page describing the “old” Fighting (yes, I wrote Final AGAIN) Fantasy Legends app, too.

I was a huge fan of the first Battleheart, and I was really disappointed with Legacy changing up the format to controlling a single guy. I’ll definitely pick this up tonight.

Motorsport Manager 3 has been announced and is “coming soon.” I know a bunch of people here were fans of the first two iterations; I have MM2 but have yet to delve deeply into it…

2 Likes

Ah, tycoon games. Games that I want to love so much and put down so quickly.

I believe my problem is that I want tight control over my creations; I want things to be laid out the way I want, look the way I want, function the way I want, etc. What I want is a sandbox. Yet sandboxes don’t have the gaminess of a tycoon game. It’s a cyclical love/hate relationship. I wanted to love MM, but once I got in to it and saw how many levels of decisions there were, and realized that I actually had to lose before I won, I started to get lost.

I’m going to try Jurassic World Evolution this weekend (more on that to come), so I’m hoping that scratches my tycoon itch as I’ve read it is slightly less complex than others in the genre.

1 Like

FF Classics = the old gamebooks. It’s also a library of sorts – the idea is that new books will just be released into the app as IAP. The old method of one app per book is being phased out.

FF Legends = a new engine for playing original adventures. It’s heavily influenced by the classic FF stuff, but is definitely different.

Wait … what the eff?

I see the confusion now. Two apps, same name (except for a weird apostrophe on one of them), and neither looks technically new at all.

Also … where’d my purchase go? I paid for one of these the day it came out (the blue logo, I think). I’m not buying it again.

Asmodee: Far more money than sense.

1 Like

IIRC, the original FF Legends app wasn’t published by Asmodee. When Asmodee took over Nomad, they put out a different version of that app, which is complete BS.

Fully agreed on all points - I think the best compromise is a tycoon game that also has a sandbox mode… I gave MM2 a good three hours of play yesterday and am really enjoying it, despite not knowing fuckall about racing (other than drive fast, turn, don’t crash). Wish there was something to explain things to a noob other than having to google wtf a blue flag for my driver means (spoiler: it doesn’t mean it’s going to rain, as I assumed). Wish I could zoom way in and see my tiny pink (yes, the daughters were there when I was picking colors. Least I got to name the team SixOneNine Racing instead of Sparkle Rainbow Unicorn Sprinkle or whatever they would’ve picked) F1 car going around the track though…

1 Like