What are you playing?

$12 is officially Too Much for me to lay down on a game whose content can be exhausted in a day.

1 Like

I have not exhausted the content. Also, I have 18 hours played, and I always feel that if I get at least 1hr per $ spent, it is a good value.

Regardless, I have not even unlocked like half the content yet in the game. Plus scoring system and leaderboards.

Still playing Gems of War with the Stately Play folks.

Diablo III starts Season 13 this Friday, Iā€™ve got a group that did Season 12 together, weā€™re planning on getting back together for Season 13, we enjoyed leveling and doing the Seasonal unlocks.

Rise of Flight has had a good 66% off sale going on, I dug out my joystick and picked up a few planes. Rise of Flight has been the leader in the niche within a niche as far as WWI flight simulations (http://www.wargamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15828&p=23738#p23738). The successor was recently announced, development of Rise of Flight had essentially stopped as the team combined studios to work on the celebrated IL-2 Sturmovik combat flight simulation. The IL-2 Sturmovik series has continued development over the years, to include a newer game engine, and last year implemented Virtual Reality with glowing reports. All that background to say that WWI flight simulation is not dead, theyā€™ve announced Flying Circus Vol. 1 for the series, ā€œOur eventual goal is to essentially re-build ROF inside of the Sturmovik universe and give WWI all the latest technology like VR, 64bit, DX11 and improved visuals.ā€

So, Iā€™m tinkering around in Rise of Flight now to get enough skill to try out a WWI flight simulation with Virtual Reality, when Flying Circus for IL-2 Sturmovik arrives. I have not done any VR gaming, but had thought that I would try it when it came out for a game that I was interested in playing without VR, where the addition of VR had the potential to increase the enjoyment, for me. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying hard to get into Monster Hunter world but so far it hasnā€™t been all that easy. Iā€™ve had a harder and harder time as Iā€™ve gotten older getting in to games that are loaded with systems. I donā€™t mind complicated games, but when games layer systems upon systems upon systems I have a hard time caring to learn it all.

Rise of Flight is such a great game.

I actually bought a VR system for PS4 just this week. Barely had the chance to try it out, but itā€™s pretty nuts. I think I need to upgrade my computer and go whole hog on this tech.

2 Likes

I got to play a little PlayStation vr when I was visiting my friend in the uk. I was actually really impressed by the potential there. Most of it felt kinda tech demo-ey rather than fully fledged games, but thatā€™s ok. My favourite by far was ā€˜the London heistā€™ and I couldnā€™t let the subject come up here without mentioning it

Whatā€™s crazy about World is that this is basically as clear and straightforward as the series has ever been, and it still doesnā€™t bother to explain basic mechanics. What weapon(s) have you been using? A lot of the systems/numbers can be avoided entirely depending on the weapon class youā€™re focusing on.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using a lance and hiding behind a shield. Combat is ok, but itā€™s the secondary systems that get a bit too much. I feel like everything - and I mean everything - levels up. Heck, my footprint research has a level to it. And there are multi-layered menus for everything. Donā€™t get me wrong, I can definitely see the appeal to this game and I may have loved it a decade or more ago, but I just havenā€™t been convinced yet to give the game the time and attention that it seems to demand.

Roughly 90 percent of my play right now is Elder Scrolls: Legends.

Iā€™m not without some minor complaints, but it has 10 times the depth of any other CCG Iā€™ve ever tried. And 50 times the depth of Hearthstone (which Iā€™ve perma-deleted from all devices).

2 Likes

Lance is a good, solid, easy to use weapon. The systems there are pretty easy.

Scout flies are a thing. The leveling up is actually contributing to a lot more than just the scoutflies. Research in the monster guide, which used to have to be gotten outside of the game, breakables and drops. It also adds research points that are used

Armor is also pretty easy now - thereā€™s no mor worrying about how you get skills and so on. Unless youā€™re actually hunting for specific skills, making whole sets and upgrading them is really easy.

What are you getting hung up on?

The levels upon levels issue only becomes worse as you go onā€”there are alpha and beta sets of every armor unlocked at a certain pointā€”so if thatā€™s the sticking point then I wouldnā€™t fault you for throwing in the towel. Like I wrote in one of the Stately Scrying posts, it took me five attempts at learning Monster Hunter over the years before it really, truly clicked with this one. Before I heard about the streamlining that World was doing I had basically given up on MH. That time commitment/learning curve is why Iā€™m not going out of my way to directly recommend it to peopleā€”time is valuable, and most of my attempts at getting into MH were in high school and college when I could afford to stubbornly pump twenty hours into a game before giving up.

Honestly, Iā€™m dreading the release schedule picking up. I think Into the Breach next week might seriously eat into the time Iā€™d like to put into hunting these monsters.

1 Like

Rise of Flight is the best sim Iā€™ve ever played. The planes are dead simple, so itā€™s not a matter of memorizing buttons or radar performance or any of that crap, just seat of your pants flying, and the planes themselves shake, rattle and roll to let you know if youā€™re pushing them too hard (of course that doesnā€™t mean I havenā€™t popped the wings off because I didnā€™t listen). It really gave me a visceral sense of just how fucking rickety they were, and what a death-defying feat flying them was. I have lusted for VR in that game since I first played it. The single player component could absolutely be better and drove me to try Wings Over Flanders Fields, which gets no end of accolades in that department, but the planes in that game were so well behaved thanks to the extreme age of the engine itā€™s built on I imagine that it took me right out. I was too used to the vehicle itself being a threat. You just cannot take anything for granted in RoF. Every takeoff and especially every landing is an adventure that can easily end in disaster, to say absolutely nothing of the fights themselves.

1 Like

Can you explain why? It didnā€™t really grab me for some reason. The 2 lane mechanic was good in the story because they changed it up (windy, etc), but in the PvP modes, it was always Stealth on the right. The comeback mechanic (Draw card at x lost life and Prophecy) didnā€™t seem all that great either. And it has most of the Hearthstone mechanics (Standard mana pool, second player gets free mana, Taunt and so on).

Iā€™m excited about VR coming to WWI flight simulation, myself! Other than some potential interest in Elite:Dangerous, up until the announcement of Flying Circus there was not a VR game that caught my enthusiasm and so had not invested in the hardware required for VR. :sunglasses:

Thatā€™s the truth, ā€œEvery takeoff and especially every landing is an adventure that can easily end in disasterā€, I get a real sense of accomplishment just taking off and landing successfully in Rise of Flight!

In the current sale I had picked up the Gotha G.V bomber, which I then struggled with. Checking the description in the ā€œNewcomerā€™s Multiplayer Plane Buying Guide 2.0ā€ thread, I saw it was not just me ā€¦ ā€œvery demanding but rewarding bomber to flyā€, ā€œDangerous to fly, requires fine handling (autolevel helps a lot)ā€, ā€œDangerous to land, poor ground controlā€.

I never did try Wings Over Flanders Fields, not already owning a copy of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3, and it being single player only, I didnā€™t feel enough interest to pursue acquiring a copy. While Iā€™m like the majority of folks that primarily play single player, I also like the option of participating in the multi-player servers, especially for the special events, if I so choose, and my understanding is that Rise of Flight then becomes basically the only option.

I have not yet tried Pat Wilsonā€™s Campaign Generator, which I gather is what folks have migrated to for their single player campaign enjoyment. I plan on exploring it in the near future, especially since his primary focus with the continued development is the IL-2 series, so the experience with it in RoF should carry directly over to Flying Circus. My understanding is that Pat Wilson does receive some compensation from the IL-2 studio for his work, which gives me confidence that he has access to the developers for at least answers where needed for the continued development of his Campaign Generator.

1 Like

Oh man, good heads up on the sale. Iā€™m picking up the channel map and the Felixstowe for less than $6 American.

1 Like

Spent most of the day playing Prey, and it is a bit of genius. The whole game is essentially one big level, and as you have your own customisable skillset and can find and/or craft tools, you can explore most of it right from the very start. Thatā€™s a terrible idea for several reasons, but you can. The game rewards exploration, especially my particular ferrety ā€œwhatā€™s behind that pipe/whatā€™s down the side of that staircase/whatā€™s up on that ledgeā€ instincts, and the environment feels like an actual space inhabited by humans, rather than a level. There are multiple ways past each obstacle, and Iā€™ve never been happier being a grubby scientist/engineer/hacker type, building kit, fixing machines, putting out fires, hacking locks, and shooting the odd enemy when I canā€™t rig a turret to do it.

2 Likes

Sometimes I dabble in a little of this, a little of that. Sometimes my games are quick competitions like racing. And then sometimes I go all in.

I just started Persona 5.

2 Likes

Godspeed. Iā€™ve been about 60 hours in since last spring. I hit a lull in pacing and got distracted by shiny new Switch games. Iā€™ll get back to itā€¦ eventuallyā€¦

My current extremely guilty pleasure is watching one episode of Persona 4: The Animation a day while I pedal on the exercise bike. Iā€™ll probably do the game when Iā€™m done.

It me, the grown man who watches a cartoon about Japanese high schoolers.

1 Like

Switch: Axiom Verge and Dragon Quest Builders. Both are really good.

iOS: Iā€™m still on the Civ6 train and getting back into The Quest with the new expansion. I decided to start over, this time with a full Mage. Should be fun. Iā€™m also doing a Rome: Total War game into the expansions. There are still a couple of Polytopia games running that I need to pay more attention to. And I decided to pick up Altoā€™s Odyssey which is a nice, easy endless style of game. There will likely be others too (like the beta I was accepted into)