What are you playing?

Did you actually finish darkest dungeon? Like, complete the final three? That is dedication!

1 Like

This is one of the few games that got its hooks into me and didnā€™t let go.

Of course, I didnā€™t back anything up, and Iā€™m hearing NG+ is really good, so Iā€™m reinstalling it and getting back down to the nitty gritty. Overall, Iā€™m realizing that I need to pay more attention to a couple of classes I almost disregarded.

This is probably a stupid question, but what is NG+?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know what it was eitherā€¦

1 Like

Cool. I had no idea.

Sorry @Neumannium! I should have spelled it out.

Jester was the class I was forgetting - I would use them for stress healing in combat to avoid quirks and negative traits.

I never really used Lepers

+1 for antiquarian runs. Really makes a difference when your characters start getting too strong to enter anything but long or difficult quests.

Good guide for how to:

My favourite party was usually Antiquarian (loot and forced guard for the riposters), Cleric(heals and precious light), a high riposte / dodge gear Highwayman and a similarly geared Man at Arms.

Flaggelants are also super good with Antiquarians as they actually need to get hit to be effective anyway.

1 Like

Thatā€™s encouraging to read of the success with actually completing Darkest Dungeon, now having it on the iPad Iā€™m hoping that I, too, can also eventually succeed. :sunglasses:

As others have mentioned, I continue to play Gems of War with the others from Stately Play. What with the recent 64-bit update to Square Enixā€™s Final Fantasy Tactics, and with the upcoming TA ā€œRPG Reload Play-Alongā€ expanding to two months in October and November to play through it, I thought Iā€™d participate and give FFT on the iPad a go.

FFT on the iPad is great! The slowdowns are gone so expect combat to flow much faster. Some abilities move a little too fast for my taste but overall itā€™s really really good.

I always struggled with the camera. Donā€™t get me wrong, it is one of my favorite games ever, but iPad isnā€™t my favorite version.

1 Like

This is exactly my issue with the ipad version. One of my all-time favorite games, but I like the camera controls much better on the PSP. Good to know the slowdowns on the ipad are gone, tho.

Now if someone would just port Tactics Ogre to the ipadā€¦ Also, mandatory request to other fans about noting any other more recent games that are like FFT? (on ipad or any system)

I have recently been playing a lot of the new Universal Pack for Zen Pinball. Iā€™m ranked #1 on Jaws and I think Iā€™ve dropped to #2 on the leaderboards for Back to the Future. Havenā€™t played E.T. yet. They seem to be decent tables with some cool effects. Like mirefox said though, the lack of the original music scores is disappointing.

Dream Quest sucked me back in. I guess i forgot to manually upload my profile to iCloud so I had to start over but Iā€™m still having a lot of fun. Iā€™m playing heartstone mostly to complete the daily quests. This meta has not been terribly exciting for me.

The Witness is a gorgeous game. I love Myst-like games. Itā€™s a great game if you can get past the pretentiousness of the dev. The touch controls are a little wonky which can be frustrating because many of the puzzles focus on perspective so you have to fiddle around to be standing in just the right position and looking in just the right direction.

2 Likes

I wonder if theyā€™ve changed something on the more recent iPad version? I started the October-November TA ā€œRPG Reload Play-Alongā€ of Final Fantasy Tactics on my iPad yesterday, and the 64-bit version 2.0.0 released a couple of weeks ago seemed okay to me. I can see where physical controls might allow finer control than the discrete ā€œjumpsā€ of the touchscreen controls when rotating the map/camera, but it seemed okay the little Iā€™ve progressed so far.

Not having played the PSP version, Iā€™m not trying to disagree with you, but rather wondering if there has been improvement on the iPad front?

If weā€™re talking ā€œtactical RPGs on iOSā€, back in June, Shaun Musgrave took the ā€œopportunity to do something that is often requested of us here at TouchArcade: lists of the best examples of each gaming genre. Consider this, then, your starter set for tactical RPGs on iOS.ā€ with an alphabetical listing with his opinion of ten favorites that had ā€œ64-bit support at the time of writingā€. So, Final Fantasy Tactics and XCOM: Enemy Within were mentioned as not being included since they were not 64-bit, while Warhammer Quest was updated to 64-bit just the week before the article was written.

The Best Tactical RPGs for iPhone and iPad - An RPG Reload Ranking

1 Like

That list is missing The Last Warlock, which is by far the most egregious omission.

Templar Battleforce is more Deathwatch/Space Hulk than tactical RPG in the vein of FFT.

Strike Team Hydra is another good one (same dev as Demonā€™s Rise).

1 Like

Played one of the EXIT games this weekend with the game group. It was this one. EXIT won the Kennerspiel des Jahres this year, but was such a different type of game I hadnā€™t brought it up to the group before Saturday.

Itā€™s basically an Escape Room in a box and itā€™s a one-and-done (cards and props are written on or destroyed during play), but we got about 90 mins of entertainment out of it for a cost of about $15 which isnā€™t bad.

Overall, I think I liked it much more than the rest of the group did. I love puzzles, and EXIT is basically thatā€¦a string of puzzles until you ā€œescapeā€. Thereā€™s not much else to it, so the few guys who werenā€™t into solving puzzles had nothing to look forward to until it mercifully ended. I was hoping to play the other EXIT games with my family, but the puzzles were definitely hard enough that my kids would have a hard time figuring any of them out on their own. Hell, we had to use a bunch of HELP cards to figure some of them out.

Iā€™ve also played the UNLOCK series of games, which are Escape Room in a box style games, but you donā€™t destroy any cards and you play with an app. I think the EXIT game was more thematic and felt more like an actual Escape Room. UNLOCK felt less connected and we stumbled on answers before we should have, so the app and cards started to be out of sync with each other, which took us right out of the moment. EXIT had you using props, drawing circles, making notes, and felt more immersive.

If youā€™re an Escape Room fan, both are probably worth picking up, especially if you know you have a group that would be excited to puzzle solve for a bit. They donā€™t completely scratch the Escape Room itch, however, as I missed the tactical puzzles, doors, locks that you get in a real Escape Room. For $15 each (which is anywhere from 1-3 hours of playtime, depending on how slow you solve puzzles), theyā€™re much more affordable than the real thing, and a worthy substitute.

1 Like

I finally got TIME Stories to the table Saturday night with the group, and it was a fantastic experience. Now knowing that you like the EXIT games and their ilk, Iā€™m pretty certain that you would really enjoy TS. Itā€™s essentially a unique mash-up of RPG, puzzle solving, and time travel.

The reviews that all note how challenging and enjoyable it is are not exaggerating. It is hard. But really rewarding. As you uncover clues and start piecing together what is happening, the sense of progress is really addictive. THe game just feels extremely well thought-out and carefully put together.

And you really have to work as a teamā€“this is a good co-op in the sense that there isnā€™t a lot of room for one person to commandeer the decisions or direction of the team. Everyone has to pull their weight.

It took us 3+ hours to finish the game, which is a little long for our sessions, but none of us regretted it at all. Weā€™re still emailing and texting about it days later. Iā€™ve already picked up a couple of the expansions.

1 Like

Letā€™s see, updates.

I deleted TtA. I just donā€™t like the board game. Iā€™m happy that CGE got my money - they made a damn good app, itā€™s just TtA isnā€™t my cup of tea.

Age of Rivals has gotten better and better, and Iā€™m enjoying it more.

Morphite is shelved for the time being. There just isnā€™t enough to do.

Wyvern is also getting more play time. Itā€™s a hoot for an old school MMO. It also has a long and storied history as well.

I also started another Darkest Dungeon run. Iā€™m still in the early stages.

1 Like

How has Age of Rivals gotten better and better? I think it is a fine game but my interest fizzled after I unlocked all the cards seemingly months ago.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing it more. I still donā€™t have all of the cards unlocked- maybe itā€™ll change when I do.

Iā€™m liking the strategies Iā€™m finding with the different card types and synergies between them. Especially as the rounds go on. Also the different leaders and their special buildings/units, and those added synergies.

I have a ways to go before Iā€™ll run out of strategies, and who knows, I might get bored with it at some point.