What are you playing?

[quote=“Neumannium, post:39, topic:89, full:true”](I really need to get a gaming PC, don’t I?)
[/quote]

I’ve got Windows 10 installed on my Mac via Boot Camp for that exact reason.

1 Like

Just about the only thing I make time to play on my ipad at this point is Gems of War, which I enjoy a lot–but there are so many things one can do now! Aside from the guild wars, there are dungeons and treasure maps and I haven’t even fully finished all of the kingdom quests at this point.

Periodically, I’ll play Solitairica every now and then as well.

Still haven’t even started Fire Emblem Echoes on the DS, despite pre-ordering it and loving the series. I’m really looking forward to that.

Play board games every week with my group–this weekend, we played Burgle Bros., which is great fun (we lost). Week before that, we played Fields of Green, which I really like a lot. Hoping to finally get TIME Stories to the table this coming weekend.

I have it on mine as well, but the fans run so damn loud whenever I play anything on Windows, I’m certain my Mac is going to burst into flames.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with the Nvidia chip, so it’s not exactly top of the line (it was pretty great in 2014). Does yours run hot when using Windows, or are my fans just getting overexcited?

I’ve had time stories sitting on my shelf for 2 years now and it remains unplayed. My group just isn’t interested in narrative games.

Need to get kids to try with me, but they aren’t huge fans either.

Honestly, it’s been a few months since I played anything on Windows, but I don’t recall having a problem. I have one of the newer MacBook Pros with the Touch Bar. I’m not quite sure why I did that–the Touch Bar is useless–but it beats the heck out of not having my own computer. I’d been using nothing but employer-purchased computers for a long time and sticking to mobile and console gaming as a result.

1 Like

Ditto, regarding it collecting dust in my shelf. In my case, I think my wife would enjoy it, but it doesn’t sound like it lends itself well to only 2 players.

Now that I think about it, the same goes for Pandemic Legacy. It’s collecting dust in my house for the exact same reason.

Obviously, you and Dave need to come by for TIME Stories on Saturday evening. We start at 7 usually. You’re both in Berkeley, right? (insert Wishful Thinking emoji here)

(looks for Berkely, WI on Google maps)

No, I guess I’m not. :frowning:

Mobile:
Through the Ages
Card Crawl (never unlocked delve mode before switching phones, so that’s my new white whale)
Minos Strategos (hoping BrainGood ports over Solar Settlers to mobile too)
Realm Grinder (always have one incremental / clicker / skinnerbox game on my phone and this one has always been my favourite in terms of depth)
Underhand (new cultist themed solitaire card game)
Meteor Fall beta

PC:
West of Loathing (just finished and absolutely loved it, might go through it again as the other character classes)
Card Quest (new update with branching level up upgrades, more min-maxing of characters)
Solar Settlers (another great game by BrainGood)

PS4:
Tooth & Tail

Most of my gaming has been on my new Nintendo Switch, lately. I freaking love this thing.

Switch:
Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
ARMS (I love fighting games, this one took a few hours to click, but now it’s one of my favorites)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (I’m a sucker for DBZ, not super technical, but Kamehameha-ing some Sayin bitches is the best.)

I’m also coveting Disgaea 5 Complete, but I told myself I have to finish BotW before I buy another game.

Mobile:
Card Thief
Warbands: Bushido

Not as often:
Terra Mistica
Through the Ages

Looking into Stormbound. The game itself is pretty neat, but the IAP prices seem a bit high. I haven’t played enough to make a definitive judgement yet.

1 Like

Give Pokken Tournament a look if you like fighting games. I’m terrible at it but I’ve been enjoying the learning process. I don’t l on how technical of a fighter it is compared to, say, Street Fighter or Tekken, but it does have some depth. As a plus, I don’t mind playing it when the kids are around, whereas I prefer they not see humans beating on humans.

Xbox: Warframe, Tekken 7, Elite: Dangerous - I don’t expect any of these to change until January 26 of next year, after which I’ll likely be dropping all 3 for a while.

iOS: I’ve been playing Through the Ages, but I’m starting to fall out of wanting to play it. It’s too easy, especially in 3/4 player games, to fall behind a bit (1 point of military, 2 points of Science) and then get smashed out so that you can’t actually do anything and make no progress.

I’m still trash at Race For the Galaxy (as @TheDukester can attest) but I’m starting to get better. I really enjoy it. I’m hoping there are more expansions released for it alongside Roll for the Galaxy.

Terra Mystica is still fun. I can’t wait for the expansion to release. I’m still so-so at it, but I’m getting better there as well.

The recent “minor” (not really minor) update to Talisman has really revitalized it amongst my group, so we’ve been playing a lot more of that.

I’m trying to finish up Neon Chrome before the expansion drops. It keeps telling me that I’m never going to make it. SCREW YOU OVERLORD!

I finished off Darkest Dungeon to my satisfaction, so that one is shelved. It was an ok port of a great game, well worth my money.

I’m digging into A Planet of Mine which is…interesting for a 4X style game. I’m still unsure how I feel beyond “Above Average.”

I’m learning Japanese Mahjong through Kemono Mahjong and other than the furry theme, it’s a lot of fun.

Carcasonne will never leave my devices.

Yomi, Morphite, Phoenix II, Iron Marines and Wyvern are all getting playtime as well.

1 Like

I’ll probably pick it up when/if the price drops. I wasn’t amazed by the demo, and I just got ARMS a week or two ago. I’ve only had my Switch since the beginning of the month.

It’s less technical than SF and Tekken, but there’s something to be said for Pokémon actually fighting in an arena like I imagine they would. It’s supposedly still a good fighter, though. The major thing that’s holding me back from it is the fact that I have 2 other competitive multiplayer games (Splatoon 2 and ARMS) that are amazing that I’ve owned less than a month already.

Oh, I’m also playing Zen pinball. I own all the tables so when new are released, I gobble them right up. Three new released today - Back to the Future, Jaws, and ET. They are not the best Zen tables. Criminally, they also don’t use music from their respective properties. Jaws has a great aesthetic and I’m loooking forward to exploring that one much more than the other two.

Are you playing Zen Pinball 2 or 3?

I have 2 on the Xbox One, but haven’t been keeping up on it.

iOS, so there is only the one version. I have it on the PS4 as well but haven’t invested all that heavily in boards. The iPad seems to be the ideal screen for me when it comes to digital pinball.

1 Like

I forgot about this one–I’m in the Meteorfall beta, too, and really digging the game so far. Reminds me a bit of Solitairica (progress through increasingly difficult monsters to reach a boss) and a bit of Dream Quest (similar deck-building mechanism + random access to shops/treasure/card removal/card upgrades during your run).

1 Like

I’d definitely call it the lovechild of Reigns and Dream Quest after quite a few plays. I think this will definitely have some staying power on my phone.

1 Like

Any help with actually finishing this game? I have a ton of characters to levels 5-6, but whenever I try to do the Darkest Dungeon (or even many of the red-level bosses) my party wipes.

I did a lot of Antiquarian runs for money (sacrificial lambs they were) - you get much more money when you have the Antiquarian selected for opening treasures and rewards. That gave me the money to have roughly 3 teams running through dungeons on a cycle (for healing, clearing negatives, and then running the dungeon) with multiple max upgrades. Seriously. Do Antiquarian runs. I would regularly walk out of a dungeon with 20k+ in items and gold.

Don’t be afraid to give up the mission if you have party members you want to save. Stress can be healed. Negative traits and quirks can be fixed (with the right amount of money). Staying until everyone wipes is only good in some cases (like if you’re trying to clear space in the barracks).

If I wasn’t doing a run for the money/artifacts/antiques/items I would regularly not open any containers. It’s not worth the chances of a trap vs items when I’m on a run to complete the area. Seriously. Some of that shit is nasty and will kill a run.

Parties (as I remember - it’s been a week or so)
Primary party 1: Plague Doctor, Vestal, Bounty Hunter and Crusader (in that order). Solid sustainability and defense (Crusader and Healer), mostly above average damage, lots of status effects (Plague Doc). You need them. Bounty Hunter for “Come Hither” to drag enemies out of the back row reliably. I would sub out the Plague Doc for Houndmaster’s on occasion.

Primary Party 2: Abomination with a Hellion, Hound Master and something else - Plague Doc maybe? I might have cycled out the last slot. It was my “Go in and facecheck the challenge level of the dungeon” party - stupidly, grossly powerful but there was so little healing it tended to follow the “It’s better to burn out than fade away” motto. I frequently had to replace multiple members of this party. No Crusaders or Vestals because of the Abomination, but he more than made up for it. So. Much. Damage. Hell to keep alive, but worth it. So worth it. Hellions as well.

Primary Party 3: This is the one that I barely remember. Crusader, Hellion, Highwayman, Houndmaster maybe - lots of damage, less crazy shit like party 2. Harder to get through some things - they couldn’t power through like Party 2, and didn’t have all the sustain that party 1 did.

Town:

I upgraded my Stagecoach first in a lot of things - more hero space, more heroes coming in from the Coach the works. Having the choice to bring people in as needed really alleviates a lot of problems, since you can lose people without worrying about refilling their spot.

The next to get upgraded were the Tavern and Abbey followed by the Sanitarium. The ability to get rid of Stress and negative traits/quirks was essential to my winning. A couple of those stack up wrong and you’re frickin’ screwed for ever using that hero again. If that happened, and I didn’t care, they became Antiquarian run fodder. If I did care, they would end up in the Sanitarium until their heads were fixed.

Then went the Blacksmith, Guild and Survivalist in that order - hero upgrades. Nomads were almost a non factor - I think I got a couple of badass things from them but nothing that I remember clearly.

Overall, it might end up back on my iPad. I’m wondering if I can do a full game with no Vestals or Crusaders and have a reasonable chance of completing it.

3 Likes