What are you playing?

Pivoted from 4X to ARPG loot frenzy … given I normally play summoner classes, it’s often a more “stately” affair for me than it might be for others. :sunglasses:

Finished Act II of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem this week, once I finish the final Act III, Friday the 13th should be upon us. Diablo III starts their new Season 20 on Friday the 13th, Path of Exile starts their version of a season, their challenge leagues, with their Delirium league starting on Friday the 13th, as well.

I’m still feeling the ARPG vibe, thinking one of those two, but I’m also itching to play some Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Prophecy. It’s the standalone expansion to Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr, which “overhauled” the Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor ARPG series/system with the 2.0 update, added three new campaign chapters, as well as introducing a fourth playable class, the Tech-Adept Inquisitor, which is a summoner class. :sunglasses:

Has anyone played the updated, overhauled, version 2 of Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor? (*Looks over at @Private_Prinny *)

1 Like

After about 5 years away, way too much League of Legends…

How do you find going back to that game? Every now and then I spin it up for a round and realise that unless I make this my only game, I will never be able to get to the levels I want / was :frowning:

On Switch, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (part III ATM). It’s straight-up Final Fantasy Tactics in terms of actual gameplay, so I’m not sure why these titles have gotten such consistently low reviews. Of course, this doesn’t get anywhere near the depth of FFT’s systems, there are no cut-scenes, and it lacks the complex storylines. But FFT is the gold standard. Nothing gets close to that as far as SRPG. For what these are offering, they’re really enjoyable with lots of hours of gameplay and variety.

1 Like

It was a bit difficult coming back. There are 30 or so champs I didn’t know, the in-game shop has changed, and some of the “meta” has shifted. That’s said, the mechanics came back to me fairly quickly and some of the champs that I used to play can still stomp pretty hard. It isn’t really the type of game you can play once every month or so, but if you play frequently it will all come back - like riding a bike.

I am still working my way through FF14 Main Story Quests. About 2/3 of the way through Stormblood right now. I am coming up on a year of working my way through this.

Also playing a lot of Marvel Strike Force, along with a bunch of board games with all of you lovely people of SP.

1 Like

FF14 is just so good! I beat the main story as a dragoon. Stormblood has some of my favorite zones. Shadow ringers is even better. The music is great in both. If it weren’t for the monthly subscription coupled with the massive time sink I’d still be playing. As it is, I’ll play more in the future. Best MMORPG of all time, easily.

I have to be honest, I should have played it. I put a LOT of hours in the 1.0 and intermediate part but as soon as 2.0 hit I quit cold turkey. I was also excited about the story expansion and new class. I cannot even remember much why I did it. I was somehow disappointed in the 2.0 overhaul, curious tough since I have a big resistance for ARPG BS and shenanigans but I haven’t touched Titan Quest, Grim Dawn and Diablo 3 much either since then. I must have gotten the ARPG-Flu or something :wink:

On Switch, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (part III ATM). It’s straight-up Final Fantasy Tactics in terms of actual gameplay, so I’m not sure why these titles have gotten such consistently low reviews.

I am curious as well. I believe the FFT rabid fanbase gets very angry when somethings apes FFT a bit more closely but doesn’t meet their quite unrealistic high expectations. High Profile Games like Disgaea gets away with it because it is SO NOT FFT, while most Indi games in the niche go for an artistic license-games (Banner Saga) or weird gameplay twists. But games like Mercenary Saga who go for the old school FFT TRPG look of the PS1/90s era get panned unfairly hard it seems.

I am still Switch-less (baDUMMTsss), but MS triology is still my top (!) purchase I planned there. Even before Fire Emblem Three Houses, and I usually buy new Nintendo Systems just for Fire Emblem games…

2 Likes

I think that is the strange thing about video game ratings. We have finally achieved parity with movies and tv shows. A good, solid game that does nothing g wrong except for not doing anything new, will score a 6 or 7.

And since anything less than a 9 must be terrible, it fades away to nothingness.

At one stage I had a DS with an R4 chip and played almost every single srpg I could, regardless of whether it was well liked. There were some amazing second tier games!

1 Like

Just finally got into Breath of the Wild on Switch. Can’t believe it took me this long!

3 Likes

Enjoy! It is a gem!

1 Like

List forthcoming??? : )

Eh, as one of those FFT superfans, the problem is we want a battle system with the depth it has, and it’s not that nothing else measures up. It’s that nothing else comes even remotely close. Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, all of them. They’re playing checkers and Tactics is chess. Sure, the storyline was also amazing, but that is less unique. Vandal Hearts, for example, had a pretty good and suitably epic plot, if nowhere near as captivating. It’s the insane customization of units that gives it such longevity. I tried the second Merc saga for a bit on my phone, and may give it another go eventually. But it didn’t feel like it would do more than just scratch the surface of the itch. We never can get a true deep scratching in anymore except from endless replays of the true standard-bearer itself.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try Fell Seal?

It’s hitting a lot of the same buttons for me (on Switch), interesting classes, abilities are pretty interesting, leveling is different. Story is somewhat mediocre. Good solid tactics.

2 Likes

I have not heard of that, no. Might have to check it out. Trying not to buy many more games until I get back in a writing groove, though. And I am on a hard ban on Into the Breach until I hit a couple more milestones on my next story. It is that rare game where I can sit down at 11 to play it for ten minutes and then it’s 2:20 in the morning and I am stiff because I have barely even moved a muscle. Absolutely addicting, even after getting all the achievements and unlocking every mech team.

Really, without exaggeration, if I have my fitness tracker on when I start getting deep into ItB it thinks I am in a light sleep.

3 Likes

Here’s a link to the main site.

There’s some DLC in the works.

I’m slowly working my way through my first playthrough. The differences are interesting: e.g the items are X uses per battle, and everyone can use them (not bound by class). So if you have 2 potions, 1 antidote, you can use that amount per battle, no need to spend money on buying more. Instead they’re crafted, and getting those can be mildly irritating (it uses a Poach like skill to get them from enemies). There’s so much more too. The changes were pretty smart in my opinion.

Overall, worth my money.

I’ll admit, part of my rabid fandom for FFT is simply because it is Final Fantasy. For the most part, the jobs, items, abilities, summons, monsters, etc. are all Final Fantasy staples.

It is also one of those games that is both deep and simple at the same time. I’m sorry if I sound like I’m always knocking Disgaea, because I really don’t dislike the series - I just don’t prefer it; there are just too many systems in that series. FFT allows you to customize your job/ability builds but the system is rather straightforward with the JP system.

I also much prefer a FFT item system where two of the same item always have the same stats and there is no item leveling - that makes it more exciting for me to find new items. If I could potentially buy 10 basic swords in a shop, find the one that has the best stats, then level it nearly infinitely, the quest for better items becomes less exciting.

As for why FFT is better than other games/series like Jeanne D’Arc, Luminaia, Suikoden Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc. it is more indescribably subjective, but again, it may just boil down to my first point - Final Fantasy things will always be my favorite.

2 Likes

Happy Friday the 13th, the start of Diablo III Season 20, and Path of Exile’s Delirium League! :sunglasses:

The countdown timer on the Path of Exile website shows less than four hours to the start, I plan to roll up a summoner this evening and see if I can safely wash ashore and see how I do making my way as a new exile. :grin:

I finished the three act story/campaign of Wolcen this week, where I taught some demons that I was not to be trifled with:

I then dusted off my joystick to fire up the latest edition of IL-2 Sturmovik, where they take the flight simulation from the Eastern Front to the Western Front in the later war years, with IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Bodenplatte.

I was pleased to see that the Tactical Air War multiplayer server admins put up a shorter two-map “trial” 1944-45 dynamic campaign on the Western Front this week, up until now they’ve previously run their dynamic campaign with an Eastern Front plane set, and maps, from the IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow, and Battle of Kuban editions. (You only need one edition/game to participate in any multiplayer server, you can fly any of the maps, but you can only pilot aircraft that you own.)

Tactical Air War (TAW) is a simulation of the World War II conflict from the military pilot’s perspective. It’s an online 24/7 campaign with a dynamic front-line and a limited semi-historical, balanced plane set.

2 Likes

Pandemic.

And Plague, Inc.

3 Likes

Isn’t everyone doing that?

1 Like