What are you playing?

Does anyone know of an iOS game similar to Lemmings? I’ve been playing a super old DOS version of the game and would love something similar on the go.

2 Likes

@Private_Prinny And they’re in Far Cry 5 too.

Gone back to SWAT 4 recently as I’ve been unable to find much in the way of modern tactical shooters (that my creaky laptop can handle). Apart from the fact the ROE seem much more restrictive than IRL, it’s been an enjoyable if annoying exercise. Quite often success or failure is down to control of the tactical space rather than rounds on target. Door wedges have become one of the mainstays of my armoury, to control and channel the environment, and CS gas grenades and pepper spray get used almost every room I clear. The small, cramped environments lend themselves well to hostages getting shot, sometimes by me as I struggle to engage an enemy with a hostage knelt between us. Ammo depth is shallow, you need to be careful with the placement of every shot, and everyone is extremely vulnerable to gunfire. The first enemy you meet in a level can blow you in half, so clearing 19 rooms of a 20-room level, to die on the 20th because you zigged instead of zagged can be hard on the nerves. You have a fraction of a second each time you spot someone to decide if they’re a hostage or an enemy or a surrendering enemy, or if they’re aiming at you or just turning, and engaging the wrong target can see you fail the level, but only once completed. On higher difficulties, even a technically perfect performance can still be a fail, and some of the consequences of any individual action are beyond your control, resulting in plenty of arbitrary failures.

1 Like

Sorry, I missed this reply on my first scroll-though, I guess.

I’ll say this much: on a fundamental level, the two things you mention here – the two lanes and the prophecy mechanic – are a huge part of what makes TES:L such a good game. If those don’t grab you, for whatever reason, then the game is probably not going to hold up to repeated plays.

I also like the how the attributes (colors, in other words) can be combined to make a variety of interesting decks. Each combination usually has at least two viable builds. Mage (blue/yellow), for instance, has a token build and a control build that are so vastly different that it’s hard to believe they come from the same card set.

There’s a lot else that’s grabbed me, personally, but I’ll stop before this gets too long. I’ll sum it up with the inevitable Hearthstone comparison: there’s not a single aspect of actual gameplay – not one – where TES:L isn’t superior to HS. Name a category, and it’s the better game.

(That could be a pretty low bar, of course, depending on your view of HS)

Also, for those who like expanions, there’s a gigantic one coming out. It was due last week, but was pushed to April 5:

https://www.legends-decks.com/news/148/houses-of-morrowind-complete-set-revealed

Good timing, the Spring Sale just started! I bought my items off the website and don’t use Steam to launch IL-2, my hazy understanding is that it probably doesn’t matter, but that the website is where one gets keys for Steam & VR, and the devs don’t have to split the money with Steam/Valve so more can go to development.

Our Spring Sale has started on Steam and the Website - it runs from Apr. 2nd until Apr. 10th.

Battle of Stalingrad – 66% OFF for the first time ever!
Battle of Moscow - 50% OFF
Fw-190 A-3, La-5 series 8, P-40E-1 and MC202 Collector Planes - 50% OFF
Ju 52/3m and Yak-1b Collector Planes - 40% OFF

Thanks for the heads up! I bought Stalingrad because I’m a cheap bastard, and $17 sounded better than $25 to get my feet wet. Now I just have to see if I can fit it on the hard drive with 85GB of Final Fantasy XV on there.

Slay the Spire at the moment.

I said I wouldn’t play early access games any more, but this is not an early access game imo

1 Like

Finally beat Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (my old computer couldn’t run it well enough).

Now playing Xcom: Enemy Within.

4 Likes

Still Into the Breach, especially when I‘m working from home. Yeah. Oddly it flagged a bit in a way that FTL didn’t, after only 10 hours or so, but then I clicked with the latest squad and cleared all the islands and we‘re on that endorphin roll again. Hot mech action, baby. If this comes out on mobile, it might be one of the those games where a play session only ends when the iPad battery dies. Yes, yes, like FTL.

1 Like

First time for XCOM, or repeating? I love it, although I only played the Within version on the iPhone (I do have standard Enemy Unknown on the 360 though).

I felt it was surprisingly short, could have had 3-4 more missions.
But at least it didn’t overstay its welcome like this… I remember the HW1 Mission with the spherical blob of a hundred Ion Frigates…brrr

First time through with a FPS of higher than 10, which means I made it through the first month without uninstalling and cursing.

Got all my experienced soldiers slaughtered on a terror mission than popped up right after that and restarted, playing Enemy Within instead. Going much better this time (also switched to Easy and Ironman).

1 Like

Il-2 Sturmovik, Battle of Stalingrad. First mission, already doing better than most of the flight sims I’ve played. My tailgunner was asleep on the job, though.

2 Likes

I’d like to find a mobile game like Lemmings too. This one that Nick mentioned in the latest Stately Scrying reminds me of it a bit, and I’m having a lot of fun with it so far this week.

The only other one I can think of that felt remotely similar to Lemmings for mobile is Majesty, in that you give general instructions to your people without actually micromanaging them. It was awesome on PC, and it was OK on mobile, a good port of the UI, but for some reason they decided to mess up the game balance that was initially very good, at least as I recall from a few years ago.

1 Like

Still playing a couple of stately-paced games at a time of Solium Infernum. What a tragedy that this game was made in such a confining old platform and wasn’t a gigantic iPad hit. Alas.

1 Like

Just beat 10000000 and was impressed. A fun frenetic little outing, and while it only lasted a couple hours it only cost a buck or so. Probably try it’s follow-up later. Now back to FF7!

Back to Invisble Inc on the iPad. In last week‘s Crate & Crowbar Tom Francis said this was the perfect game he didn’t know he wanted until it came out. So true. So good, Perfect for the iPad. Just so sad the Contingency Plan dlc never made it.

3 Likes

Been hankering to play Desert War 1940 - 1942 since it came out, but since I can’t justify the full $40 price tag I’m revisiting another WEGO wargame from a few years back instead, the pretty brilliant Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.

1 Like

Surprise surprise, at long last I can add a fourth class to the list of those I have used to slay the Lord of the Dream: the Bard! I felt like the combo of a song to draw a card when playing an action card and a song to poison 1 for every action card had a lot of potential. First time I took him on I got really close (like, he had 65 health, 87 poison and killed me with his last card that turn), and I felt like with a little luck I could improve on that. He decayed all my good cards, but it was all about getting as many poisons on as possible. Even Sifts are good if that’s your goal. By the time he died he had 101 poisons, which isn’t bad since it was mostly action card-related (I had an Acid Rain combined with Channel and Mana Swell, but sadly never saw a Blight this time around).

So that means Bard, Dragon, Professor and Wizard are my source of wins thus far. I am still unsure it would be possible (or at least practical to pursue) getting a win with every class. Not all of them are created equal. But I could see managing one with Assassin or maybe a Samurai.

6 Likes

I just started Dragon Quest Builders on the Switch and am finding it quite delightful. It is a crafting game with some RPG elements. It is a bit like Crashlands in iOS or Don’t Starve, minus inevitable death hanging over you every second, giving you palpitations and cold sweats…

3 Likes

Uhh…Dragon Quest Builders? :wink: