What are you playing?

The talk of Burnout Paradise is making me bring up this question.

What do you think, if we do a list, so we can add eachother, if we like of course, as friends. Maybe comparing times in Burnout Paradise? Or a quick race? I play on different systems these days ( PS4, Switch, Steam, iOS), and some games I prefer to play on one system more than the other.

We once had a list for that, do we want to keep that list or start a new one?

I like the idea. Perhaps we need an autosport thread? I highly doubt there will be too much opportunity for live races, but ghosts and leaderboards make for good asynchronous-style competition.

1 Like

Continuing 2018’s adventure into flight simulation … Battle of Kuban launched last week for the IL-2 Sturmovik “Great Battles” current series generation/implementation, joining the earlier Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow releases. The new Career mode is amazing, and if one owns all three of the separate titles, can bridge their career from '41 (Moscow) to '42 (Stalingrad) on to '43 (Kuban).

Along with the “Bloody April VIII” campaign has started gearing up for April’s annual Rise of Flight community event. I plan to participate/contribute if they need pilots to fill out the roster, but my flight simulation endeavors have been single player, not multi-player, up to this point.

Neat. I wouldn’t mind picking it up but I’ll have to wait for some kind of bundle sale because it looks like right now if you want everything it’s like $260 all in? Yikes.

Yes, I think you’re right … they do have sales on occasion, and the good news is that each one is a standalone game, but they all benefit from the updates. For example, the release of Battle of Kuban last week brought all three up to version 3.001 of the game client, which was a huge deal. All three games got the Career mode, coop server, etc. Which is one reason there are so many Bf 109s in the series, heh, each game needs to have that campaign’s variants of the 109. :smile:

So, it’s really only necessary to see which planeset is of most interest, and pick up that particular game/edition, IMHO. So, going all in, to include all the “Collector’s Planes” (which are just additional aircraft available for those who want them, not bestowing any extra benefits like War Thunder’s Premium aircraft), will be a sizable investment, but $50 gets the client, one of the campaigns, and will allow flying the eight owned aircraft on the multi-player servers. :sunglasses:
https://il2sturmovik.com/about/#3

Speaking of VR and flight simulations, as well as the new IL-2 Career mode, there is a Brit who I gather was a War Thunder streamer but has now moved over to streaming IL-2 Battle of Kuban with the Spitfire Career dynamic campaign (the lend-lease Spitfire Mk.VВ is available as an optional Collector’s Plane, and has a Career campaign in Battle of Kuban). He streams with multiple cameras so viewers can see his VR, HOTAS, and rudder pedal setup. I find him to be informed and entertaining, and can recommend checking out his stream (or his videos from previous streams, linked to on his Twitch page), https://www.twitch.tv/talon_chora.

1 Like

I have a little bit of experience with the RoF career mode. I’ve looked at some posts about the Career mode in Il-2 but they’re pretty vague. Can you add anything about it from your personal experience?

Career mode is pretty amazing, to me, but I’m still learning about it, and have yet to survive long enough to make it to being squadron leader, much less surviving a campaign, so am not yet a good source for info about it. I’m not an accomplished dogfighter, still working on 2018’s excursion into flight sim proficiency, so have been doing ground attack campaigns.

Being a fighter pilot is a young man’s game, I’m over here flying the ground attack, bombers, and transport planes. :beers:

When it goes on sale I’m gonna by Battle of Moscow and immediately start a career as an Il-2 pilot, hell yeah.

1 Like

I’ve got a confession to make. I’m playing the new sims mobile game and it’s terrible. Theyve removed all the gameplay where you need to keep your sim happy and replaced it with a mechanic straight out of a cookie clicker game. You can have your sim grind away at work 24/7 if you give them a click every now and then.

My saving grace from previous sims games was the house building mode. Between that and the interior decorating there was enough content to keep me interested. Sadly that’s also been gutted in the sims mobile game. House building is very limited, there’s ridiculously few landscaping options and the interior items are drip fed to you over months…unless you want to pay real money of course.

I know you’re all on the edge of your seats wondering what my final conclusion is here, but I have to suggest you avoid this game unless you are a sucker for punishment.

3 Likes

Sad. But completely expected. This series was always vulnerable to being turned into a freemium wasteland by its casual nature.

1 Like

I can’t hardly generate enough interest to even try an EA game any longer. It’s sad, they’ve absorbed some really good studios.

3 Likes

In other news, what is it with my unhealthy relationship with moose(s) recently?

Like seriously - maybe an ancestor of mine must have killed a white stacoughmoose or something…maybe in a previous life I pissed of a moose by…simple existing in its general vicinity?

In the past month or so I have beaten Horizon - Zero Dawn and I died countless times to some robo-moose either by a charging stampede of them or by being on the receiving end of a trashing Grazer (the name they go by in H-ZD). Since there is an in-game challenge (First Hunting Ground) with lots of them involved with some cool reward as well as lots of generic loot I did fight them pretty often; and since death in H-ZD comes pretty often in form of being shot, mauled, electrocuted, incinerated, pounced upon and dive-bombed at in a matter of minutes I didn’t think much about it. But since I beat the game and restarted it on Ultra-Hard for playing at leisure (at a later time) my first death in Ultra Hard was against an angry stampede of them again in above-mentioned challenge.

After that, I finally came around to playing Skyrim for real this time since my craving for Open World games (with neither cars or templars in it) isn’t all that satisfied. And yet again I die in combat with moose. Two times already and that happened just after I killed my first dragon.
As they are skittish animals in Skyrim I can understand your moderate skepticism about that fact but well, the first one was me chasing one around in my compulsive “kill everything that moves and loot it” drive and not paying attention to my surroundings lead to me falling from a pretty steep cliff. The second one was again pretty much like above but resulted in me neglecting the compulsive drive of a nearby giant to use squishy wood elves as convenient golf (or baseball) practice opportunities. At least my resulting attempt to reach orbital velocity was nothing short of spectacular.

And now this. Finally caving in on the countless attempts of a good friend to try out Nier: Automata my first death after the prologue as the world opens up was against the first living creature (aside from non-interactive birds) I met.

Yep, you guessed it right…a moose! I could state that I was at low health after some interactions with some aggressive robots and on top of that I simply suck at N:A evasive maneuvers whereas in H-ZD I nearly aced it but…well at long last I see a pattern here. The moose deity has either used some eldritch ritual to curse me or issued a “kill on sight” warrant on me.

Either way, I am terrified to see what the future has in it for me…gulp are there moose in Far Cry - Primal? Or Fallout 4?

Better play it safe in the meantime…

8 Likes

Can confirm. There are meese in Far Cry Pry Mal and they are bastards.

2 Likes

I don’t like the way this conversation is going.

14 Likes

A møøse once bit my sister…

3 Likes

I just picked up Assassin’s Creed: Origins. I’m realizing I’ve never liked the protagonists in these games, but everything else is neat. The falcon is fun, the history-only mode will actually let me play in front of the kids (and let them play if they like)—it’s wery nice. Stayed up too late playing last night.

Realli?

1 Like

What is the history only mode?

1 Like

I think it’s called “Discovery mode”, and was recently added in a patch. Basically, they strip out all the game content, and just let you tool around in this massive, high-fidelity simulation of historical Egypt. There are particular tours you can take where they tell you about what we know of the period and various landmarks in and around the Nile delta, or you can take the form of an eagle and fly around. With no enemies or combat, it seems like a great way for younger kids to acclimate to the controls and explore the world.

I love the idea. I mean, I can just imagine the set designers and costume folks behind something like HBO’s Rome feeling like it was a terrible waste of their research and efforts that they basically created a whole bunch of stuff which would be fabulous resources for museums or history programs, but which was used for just one show. Ubisoft found a way to make all that work more useful (thereby making it more appealing to do it right).

1 Like