Through The Ages Friendly Matches

cannonfodder is reporting for duty!
please take me in.

1 Like

Congrats, @JMH.75!

You and @JammaTal really stepped on the pedal in Age III. I just didn’t have the civil/military actions to keep pace. While responding to Jamma’s culture war, for example, no matter what combination of actions I tried, I was always either one civil or one military action shy of avoiding rebellion while minimizing Jamma’s gain. So I decided the latter was more important on the second-to-last turn of the game.

A few other things threw a wrench in my plans:

1. I didn’t expect @Hardco to attack me while we had a pact in place. It really delayed the completion of the Eiffel Tower, costing me those four sweet culture points for several turns.

2. I shouldn’t have spent the 9 science on Oil without upgrading to an Oil on the same turn. Doing so prevented me from keeping my options open for the next turn, when I could have used that science to develop Tanks. I should have eaten the civil action, and knew I made a mistake after I ended my turn.

3. I drew only two Military Bonus cards the entire game, yet drew a TON of Event cards, many of which, at the time, were more detrimental to me than to my opponents. And it wasn’t due to not having many military actions, so that was a head scratcher.

Again a nice game! I’m ready for a next one :smile_cat:

1 Like

I’ll play

1 Like

Never expect a pact to get in the way of a good attack! I’ll almost always accept Open Borders (barring Caesar), but I’ll always expect an attack if possible, and I’ll always attack if it is a decent shot at succeeding. Pacts that end when attacked are great to accept sometimes just to get it out of their hands. It can be fun to accept a Military Alliance or Promise of Military Protection, then immediately attack them…

I’ll go again if the spot is still open.

1 Like

Mysterio’s 5th Game created!

1. Mysterio
  2. @irishdomer08
  3. @JMH.75
  4. @Hardco

On standby (automatically in next game, if still desire):

None

1 Like

Congrats, @hardco! Close game all around.

My main error was forgetting that I would lose Nostradamus’ +3 to Strength versus Aggressions at the start of Age III, which allowed @JMH.75 to cripple my Science income. As a result, I never completed the Eiffel Tower (I really need to stop taking that wonder!), because I had to spend my Resources on rebuilding my Science income. So many +4 Culture turns missed! :sob:

Always in for a revenge match :grinning:

1 Like

I’ll go again.

1 Like

It’s time to gather players for Mysterio’s 6th Game! Need just one more guin…er, I mean player!

• Those who didn’t play in this just-concluded game have priority
  • Those who did and want to play in this one will be put on a standby list
  • After 24 or so hours, if three priority members don’t express interest, I’ll pull from the standby list to fill the slots, first come, first served
  1. Mysterio
  2. @JMH.75
  3. @Hardco
  4. It can be you!

None

1 Like

I have not played in a while, been swamped with work, but have a 3 day weekend coming up, so will jump in with you all for the 4th spot.

1 Like

Mysterio’s 6th Game created!

1. Mysterio
  2. @JMH.75
  3. @Hardco
  4. @kennfusion

None

everytime I play with you all I get hammered. Losing all stored food, then getting attacked and losing any science generation all in a row, plus despite I tried to stay competitive on the military side, but was shut out of it…my game is just about over already.

edit: and Mysterio piles on.

This isn’t meant to be a criticism, but what’s preventing you from consistently ending your turn such that your [Strength + # of Military Actions] Strength is equal to or greater than the highest Strength among the other players? That’s the bare minimum I consider before ending my turn, so I’m just curious what your thought process is, so we can perhaps advise you.

Then again, sometimes the cards just don’t fall for one the right way, no matter how much planning’s been done.

It literally was not possible. I have spent almost every turn trying to build military.

As the Nostradamus of the game, let me impart my wisdom… The main issue wasn’t the Rats and the aggressions, but the fact that your civilization had corruption from turns 4 through 7. I understand that some games go better than others, and I’ve ran into issues when I’ve chose to build Silk Road, but 4 turns in a row of corruption is generally always going to be game over. Taking Alchemy and upgrading your 1 Philosophy was also probably not ideal, because you were sitting on a lot of food, and you could just add a population and build a second Philosophy instead. You save 4 science and leave yourself less susceptible to Rats.

Lastly, just because you can seed an Event, doesn’t mean that you should. Cards like Vast Territory I are too powerful to just seed blindly without a plan to ensure that you can win the territory. The yet unseen event you seeded that triggered the Rats was also questionable (even more so to risk Rats with so much food). Before I seed an event, I try to see it could trigger something that would wreck me. Rats and Dark Ages are the biggest culprits, but I will generally pass on playing an event if those are serious risks.

1 Like

I curse everyone that plays Rats, Dark Ages, and Ravages of Time. SO rude.

I hate those cards too…

I also hate the cards you end up getting in Innovation :stuck_out_tongue:

Says the guy leading 3-2 lol…

Congrats, @Hardco! (I sound like a broken record.)

In this game, I think my mistake was bidding too high on a few colonies I didn’t really need, which took resources away from building up my infrastructure. The game was close throughout after @kennfusion resigned, although @JMH.75 and Hardco separated themselves from me at the Age III point or so.

If there’s interest in playing a 7th game, post a reply. Otherwise, I’ll just sit in a corner and lick my wounds. :slightly_smiling_face: