Stately Switch Games

I found this interesting, if true: Nintendo To Remaster ‘Most Of Super Mario’s 35-Year Catalogue’ For Switch in 2020, New Report Says

It’s not shown in the graphic that’s with the article, but I personally would be most interested in seeing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island broken out from the SNES online app that requires the Nintendo Switch Online “handshake”, and seeing the gorgeous art remastered in a high-definition, widescreen format. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I picked up Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

As an Animal Crossing novice, this game is brilliant, the developers are geniuses, and Nintendo gave them the time needed to release a masterpiece. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So, my daughter got this for her birthday, and I’ve been playing it a lot more than her while she splits her time between it and Horizon Zero Dawn. The escalating prices of things are making me feel like I should read a strategy guide, but the nature of the game is making me feel like powergaming it will just make it less low-stakes pleasant.

1 Like

I pre-ordered and fully paid off Animal Crossing (and the FFVII Remake) from GameStop…which closed due to the virus. I’m pretty miffed that I don’t have the game to play with my kids during this time, which is perfect for such a game.

Ouch, @Mirefox! :slightly_frowning_face:

I lean towards your approach of preferring physical media, where available, but given my understanding that Animal Crossing is a “marathon” over months, I went with the digital download so I wouldn’t have to swap out a cartridge (funny, I know they are now cards but when I think of Nintendo media I still think “cartridges”) when also playing another Switch game.

Like I have physical copies of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, that I fully intend to get to while still tinkering in Animal Crossing. I figure those two I’ll keep in the card slot until I finish them, then I’ll insert the next game.

I do agree, now is a good time, personally, for me to have a chill, relaxing, happy game. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

ok, I just picked up Animal Crossing for my 7yo. Downloading now. Hopefully this will be a nice distraction, and put a halt on the Hannah Montana binging.

1 Like

Anyone got this played yet?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-31-in-other-waters-review

It sounds good.

1 Like

It is good! I’m only about an hour and a half in, but I love what I’ve seen so far. Looks great, very chill so far, but the writing keeps it interesting. Super easy control scheme on the Switch, too, that actually uses most of the buttons.

1 Like

Aww yiss.

So … inside for the long haul, Ring Fit Adventure is only available from scalpers. I see Just Dance 2020 gets high marks on this week’s “Feature: Best Nintendo Switch Fitness And Exercise Games”, and I see it’s on the Easter Sale in the e-shop for half price.

Other than @kennfusion using it as a family time party game, anyone else have thoughts on Just Dance on the Switch? I downloaded the demo last night, the “easy” song was hard, but figure I can start out focusing on the controller and work from there to the feet. :sweat_smile:

Sunless Seas coming for Switch on April 23 and Sunless Skies later this year -

3 Likes

I have Just Dance 2020 primarily for the kids. That said, it can be quite the cardio workout. You can create custom playlists to design your own workouts. I don’t know how good the motion tracking actually is, but I’ve never cared all that much about my score anyways. Not a game for the self-conscious, though, because you will most certainly make a fool of yourself, which is half the fun in my house.

4 Likes

Okay, I picked up Just Dance 2020 on the half-price Easter sale, for some indoor exercise, enjoying it so far. :sunglasses:

News item ingame about Ubisoft giving a free month of their Unlimited access due to the pandemic to owners, looks like I’ll get a 2nd free month on top of the month that comes with the purchase: https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/3QnmWkZ8Kc3zM3bMV52xdn/just-dance-get-moving-at-home-with-just-dance-unlimited-for-free

I don’t love the game enough to ever pay for Unlimited, I think, but it is an awesome service those who play a lot. I think that if the game were free but you had to pay a service fee, I might so it. As it is, buying a yearly release tends to keep me from subscribing.

It sounds like a generous gift by Ubisoft since folks are inside during the nice Spring weather, I’m sure parents on a budget appreciate the free month. No doubt it’s also a marketing opportunity, but given that when the free month expires folks will be eager to get out of the house I’ll give Ubisoft the benefit of being generous, especially since Just Dance 2020 is included in their 1/2 price Easter Sale.

With Ring Fit Adventure being unavailable except from scalpers, nice the second recommendation in that Feature: Best Nintendo Switch Fitness And Exercise Games article is half price! :slightly_smiling_face:

Set D3 aside for a little while and played through Mutant Year Zero and its DLC. Fun game what with the different characters and mutations to mess around with…definitely worth the time to play through it all.

After that I noticed a new DLC available for West of Loathing, so played it through from beginning to end also. There wasn’t as much humour in the dlc IMO, but it was still entertaining and worth the time and 5 bucks.

I did finally fire up Divinity Original Sin 2, and it’s a little more…complex than anything I’ve played over the last decade. I’m hoping I don’t bounce off it as it could easily carry me through until the weather turns decent here and/or Wasteland 3 is available. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try to settle in and give it a good go.

Or run more rifts in D3. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had missed that there was a controller update with the 10.0.0 console update: PSA: Remember To Update Your Joy-Con Today, As Well As Your Switch

How To Update Your Nintendo Switch Joy-Con

1. Make sure the Joy-Con you wish to update are attached to the console.
  2. From the Home menu, choose ‘System Settings’. Then choose ‘Controllers and Sensors’ from the left-hand side.
  3. Scroll down to ‘Update Controllers’, press it, and let the console do its thing. Make sure to repeat all steps for all of your Joy-Con.

The datamining of ’ “preliminary support” for a new hardware model ’ is a bit interesting. No surprise that this initial assessment seems include NVIDIA’s Tegra X1+ chip, the revision with faster clock speeds from the current standard X1 chip. Nintendo Switch 10.0.0 Firmware Update Supposedly “Adds Preliminary Support For A New Hardware Model”

4 Likes

Picross S1-3 are 20% off right now, and Picross S4 is up for pre-order. If you’ve got 1-3, you’ll unlock three 40x30 grids in S4!

2 Likes

I just picked up Crypt of the NecroDancer for $4 (80% off) from the Nintendo e-shop. Looks like the sale expires real soon, possibly in 16 hours?

I don’t expect I’ll be any good at it, but I like the art style, it scored 9/10 on NintendoLife (http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/crypt_of_the_necrodancer), and it’s 80% off … and the subsequent “Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda” also gets rave reviews in case my $4 pays off and I can’t get enough NecroDancer. :smile:

Games Done Quick, https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule, which I like to donate to annually during their Summer marathon in support of Doctors Without Borders, is doing a weekend Corona Relief Done Quick marathon in support of Direct Relief. I’m interested in watching their “Crypt of the NecroDancer” speedrun tonight, in about four hours. How that goes will likely influence where I place my copy in my backlog of unplayed games. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Really do want Disaster Report 4 for that brilliant disaster melodrama, but I’m not paying £54 for it. By all accounts the game is a car crash, when Disaster Report and my favourite of the series, RAW DANGER, were a little shonky technically but otherwise excellent games.