Stately Switch Games

Recently picked up a Nintendo switch and wondered what games you other Stately Players (now even the readers are saying it - ed.)

I picked up a bundle with Mario Kart 8 deluxe (with two wheels, yay!), alongside a copy of Darkest Dungeon and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Any other good strategic games / or any board / card game ports already on the system that I’m not aware of?

2 Likes

It doesn’t fit your requests, but Zelda is an absolute masterpiece. Mario Odyssey is also a cut above most games out there these days.

I don’t use the store, so I don’t know what is currently available, but I believe Asmodee stated that they want to start releasing games on the Switch, so there are some board games in the pipeline.

2 Likes

Probably wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I’ve only really liked the SNES Zelda and Wind Waker and I don’t need another 40+ hour RPG in my life as I’ve got Nino Kuni 2.

But saying that, I do have Octopath Traveler sitting in my amazon wishlist for the switch.

Wishlisted Mario now too.

I wasn’t sure how much I’d like Breath of the Wild, either, because I really don’t get in to open world games all that much, but I thought the game was borderline perfect. To each his own, though.

I gave up and sold Ni No Kuni 2 just a few weeks after its release because the game was braindead easy and that just made it boring. I’ve been told that there is a hard mode now, so I may have to give it a try sometime.

I’ve been playing Octopath Traveller a bit lately. The game is gorgeous in an old-school-made-new way. It’s no secret that the game esentially tells 8 separate stories. Each character is introduced by playing through a chapter, so the game essentially starts by picking a character, playing their first chapter, traveling to the next town, playing a new character’s chapter, etc. I’m on my 6th character right now and have probably logged about 6 hours. The game seems like it will be long and deep. Combat is really good, again, in an old-school turn-based way. Fans of classic RPGs, especially older Final Fantasy games, should love it.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much sold me on Octopath then. :smiley:

Has-Been Heroes and Battle Chasers: Night War.

1 Like

Ended up grabbing Octopath (loving it so far), and Enter The Gungeon (for the 3rd time).

Unexplored is coming to Switch, one of my favorite games. It should be a good fit for the portable console and it is discounted if you preorder. I can’t wait for it.

Another favorite of mine is Dead Cells. Also coming to the Switch soon, also preorder discount. I am skeptical how good this will play though, as it is very dependent on tight/precise controls, and Switch Handheld mode is not so precise IMO. Better get it on PS4 (also preorder Discount right now) or Steam.

1 Like

So which Joy-Cons are you all using?

I pre-ordered the Switch and reserved a copy with the black Joy-cons. When I went to pick it up, they actually gave me the option and I selected the Blue/Red set. I think I was recalling the old N64 days when I had 4 controllers, all different colors. Since then, I’ve also picked up the Green/Pink set and the Yellow/Yellow set. I don’t need any more Joy-cons, but I really wish I had stuck with the black/black back when I bought the system so that it doesn’t look so colorful and video-gamey in handheld mode.

I’ve been playing it on the switch and having fun with it, not noticing control issues. Then again, I’m old and haven’t done platformers for a long, long time, so it could just be me and my slow, fat fingers.

What is unexplored? I’m up for buying switch games right now, but finding many aren’t really my bag. Not a lot of turn-based stuff, but that’s to be expected with the way the console is set-up.

I have the red/blue ones. My son bought me the zelda skin for my birthday, however, so everything is now covered up in vinyl. I would have never skinned my switch if he hadn’t bought it for me (I didn’t even know skins were a thing), but I like the way it looks now a lot better than before.

Sorry if it feels cheep, but I’m not good in explaining.

1 Like

Towerfall Ascension is coming to Switch. In the past, I’ve had an absolute blast playing it on the PS4. I don’t care about the single player, but the multiplayer pits 2-4 players against each other in little stages where you just need to shoot the others with a bow. The thing is, there aren’t really any special abilities or anything, and the game is really about reflexes, but it is both exciting and hilarious. You do need a competent parter to play it with to get the most out of it.

1 Like

Got the Red and Blue ones with the system, wish I’d gotten the black instead but the bundle I picked up (+Mario Kart and 2 steering wheels) only came with those colours.

Towerfall is to me what Smash Bros. is to pretty much everyone else I know. I will be buying it a third time next month.

Samurai Gunn 2 is also worth looking out for. The original is basically on even footing with Towerfall and Nidhogg as one of the best competitive platform fighters, only held back by no console release.

What Towerfall doesn’t have that Smash Bros does, though, are characters. I could make my dormmates rage years ago just by picking Kirby. Nobody gets mad when you pick blue…

Stardew Valley is going down a treat in my house. I’m playing it with my 5 year old and we play one day in game then hand the switch over to the next player. The controls are manageable for him, although the fishing is still a bit tricky. I have to supervise because there’s a fair bit of reading but I get to bust out my silly voices so that’s a bonus. I’m hoping we can use this as his first survival rpg and that will provide an easy step into both genres in the future.

4 Likes

My son would love this game. I’ve been holding off because of the reading but I like the way you handle it.

I’ve been playing Dead Cells. The metroidvania genre is one of my favorites and this one just about scratches the itch. The game is quite fun, though I’m a little iffy on the actual play forming - your guy sometimes feels a little slow to respond in a game that demands precision. Perhaps I just need a little more practice. We will also see how long I can go before the rogue-like element starts to bore me.

This game is also very much like Rogue Legacy. Very much…

1 Like

After getting a couple of runs that basically turned into auto wins just based on the legendary drops I’ve kind of backed off of Dead Cells. With Enter the Gungeon, even getting nothing but mediocre weapons/passives/actives through a run it’s still really possible with the right play to win. In Dead Cells it just…doesn’t feel that way at all. Stats being out of whack, the melee/ranged/shield imbalances and the seriously non diverse weapon/passive tiers dropped it into the more unfun of Roguelites catagory…much like Rogue Legacy. I should love the game - it’s a Metroidvania, the controls are fluid and feel good, but after those auto wins…it just feels meh.

I’ve been playing MHGU lately. I like it a little more than World. The difficulty feels better, the weapon and armor design is muuuch better to me (as a Hunting Horn main, World made me crazy with the lack of diversity in weapons), and the sheer range of monsters and quests feel better to me. The online is also a lot better for having actual groups. For World, a lot of the fluidity of weapons and sluggishness of monsters in World made the game feel waaay to easy, and with the Arch Tempered monsters being artificially difficult (inflated HP pools and inflated damage is all they did really) I’ve put it down for now.

I’m also playing Enter the Gungeon which is a hoot. I’m digging the mix of twin stick and bullet hell. It’s hard as nails though.

50 days to Smash Bros Ultimate. That’s going to be a good day for me. I have no idea what Towerfall is writes that down for later investigation.

1 Like