Stately Switch Games

I had wanted this game on Switch too, but then I read numerous reviews of the port that were negative and have avoided it. The graphics are blurry, the lighting is bad, and the menus weren’t re-scaled. Some of these reviews give it a high rating as a game (which it deserves) but spend most of the review lamenting the poor quality of the port. Quoting the second one: “The reduction in visual fidelity not only makes the game harder to enjoy, but makes sections of it tougher to complete.”

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve started to see these as I’ve researched. Too bad. I think I’ll pick it up on the PS4, instead. It isn’t as if I’m starved for Switch games…

So much Pokemon.

I have embarked on the fruitless journey of creating a “living Pokédex”, having one of every monster.

I am sure I will eventually give up, however it will be fun. Up to 290, no trading online, only with family.

Ok, you are all about to think I’m crazy. I live Pokémon but I play it in a very particular way. I breed every single monster in my dex unless they are not breed able or special starter/gifts/etc. Yes, it can be boring and monotonous, but I usually breed and hatch while watching TV and there is something very cathartic for me about collecting and organizing digital monsters.

Regarding Sword/Shield, I understand the complaints over the truncated Pokédex and there need to be some actual dungeons, but I still had a great time with the game.

Now I just need to decide if I’m going to break my “no digital purchase” restrictions for the additional DLC…

As I think we’ve noted previously, you and I are alike in the no-digital-purchase mindset. But I view DLC a little differently and have periodically bought them (for Fire Emblem).

Is Sword/Shield the only Pokemon option for Switch? Is one better than the other? Haven’t played Pokemon since…I think Gameboy Advance, so just wondering what’s the best experience going these days.

There is the Let’s Go! Pikachu/Eevee series that is really only good for introducing kids to Pokémon. Sword/Shield is the only true Pokémon game on the Switch currently.

I didn’t answer your question. Like any other Pokémon generation, the only real difference between versions is a few version-exclusive Pokémon. You can either look up a list of differences or grab Sword or Shield blindly and be surprised.

And a different gym last I looked.

Ah. I haven’t even looked at a comparison; I wanted everything to be a surprise. Ultimately, though, they are the same game.

1 Like

This is more an economic/preference question than anything, which I know can be hard to answer: Is there a reason to own Civ VI in Switch when I already have it everywhere I go, in my pocket on my phone? Does it perform better and/or look better? Does it have any more content? Is it simply great to have it up in the big screen? It is on sale for $20 right now and I’m sorely tempted. Does anyone have any experience comparing the different mobile versions?

I have it, with all of its expansions and DLC, on iOS, Switch, and the Mac. Yes, I am a fool, and yes, my wife would kill me if she knew. Glad we got that out of the way.

I much prefer iOS over Switch; I think the only thing the Switch gains is slightly improved graphics, as it doesn’t run in retina on the iPad. However, the controls are much better on iOS than on the Switch - while Switch does have touch controls enabled, you lose them (obv) when playing in docked mode… and in handheld mode it’s awfully hard for my admittedly old(er) eyes to see that tiny screen. It is pretty awesome on the large screen, but I don’t love the physical controls for it.

The DLC is exactly the same on both, albeit released differently on Switch - I think they bundled some of the smaller stuff together. It’s a little kinder on the Switch battery, I think, although that could just be my impression.

In hindsight, I’d probably just buy it on iOS and save money on the other platforms.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. I have Age of Wonders: Planetfall on PS4 and I know exactly what you mean regarding controls; have the learning curve in that game is learning how to do something with a controller that takes three mouse clicks on a PC.

You may have saved me $20.

1 Like

Yup. Imagine building something in Civ 6 - with touch controls it’s two “touches” and maybe a swipe up or down the menu. On Switch with physical controls it’s mouse over, click, move up or down, click, confirm, etc. Not intuitive in the least.

I have it, with all of its expansions and DLC, on iOS, Switch, and the Mac. Yes, I am a fool, and yes, my wife would kill me if she knew. Glad we got that out of the way.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one who does stuff like this. :joy:

3 Likes

To be clear, it doesn’t run at retina by default. There are ways to easily get it to that resolution, along with other improvements to enhance battery life etc.

1 Like

Agreed. I didn’t feel like messing with it to get the higher res, as it doesn’t bother me enough to, um, bother.

1 Like

I, like js619, own it (and all expansions) on iOS, Switch, and Steam. I play on iPad mainly. I do love the Switch version for the ability to sit on the couch and play with a controller on a 60" screen, however.

I have multiple games going. One on my iPad that I can play whenever and one on Switch that I play when the family is all gone and I can sit and relax with a beer on the sofa.

The Switch version isn’t needed, but I like it.

3 Likes

@Mirefox, note everyone’s been referencing playing Civ on iPad, not iPhone. IMO, that’s a fair difference to consider. Obviously for a game like this, screen real estate is paramount.

I play on my Xs Max and while it’s great for a Civ scratch, and believe that is just amazing. It does get a little cramped playing on I-PHONE. I’d imagine ipad would be a much more relaxing experience.

Still, iPhone is serviceable, but just keep that factor in mind.

1 Like

God bless the universal apps! I’ve got it on my iPad as well and while that is a better experience, the fact that I can take my phone out of my pocket and fire it up anywhere at any time is pretty amazing.

3 Likes

And being able to continue your game between devices makes it all the better.

The day I figured out it had cloud saves is a day more important to me than the birth of my children. Or something like that.

4 Likes