Stately Play Decathlon 2021

Today I learned there’s a log in Race.

1 Like

Thanks to @JammaTal for sending these…

@doublebullout takes 2nd place with the tie-breaker (5 cards + 3 goods vs 2 cards + 2 goods.)

I think the idea is for the player to have to balance what they want to build against what they can build quickly, but it sure looks like there’s no way to avoid the luck of the draw in the early stages. I got the mining card trifecta (League, Conglomerate, Robots) all in my opening hand. That seems like it should be a big advantage, but it meant holding onto a big 6 cost development card through the opening rounds and not being able to discard Robots or Conglomerate either if I wanted to get the full VP bonus. Then I drew Diversified Economy early, and I thought I’d better prioritize that too as it’s a strong card. Probably a noob mistake in strategy on my part, I think. It’s a race to build a ramshackle empire, not the one with the best feng shui.

2 Likes

Good game @SpiceTheCat and @irishdomer08

2 Likes

Having connection issues at the moment whilst on holidays, can’t seem to connect, will try when I have stronger internet

Hi all! Holidays with intermittent internet are coming up for me as well, so we will take a little break before kicking off Terraforming Mars.

Head on over to the Decathlon Practice Arena if you want to get in a practice game in the meantime!

I also almost forgot we need to pick a 10th game still!

Unfortunately, I don’t recall any new and exciting games coming out in the past 6 months, but we had a pretty rich list of alternates coming into the tournament so there should be plenty to choose from.

Please feel free to start posting your nominations here and I will put out a poll later this month.

Happy summer and happy gaming!

1 Like

Patchwork or Galaxy Trucker

2 Likes

Just thought of a fun idea. Not sure it will work or not.
Railroad Ink Challenge is a roll and write. So it should be able to accommodate many players. Could we all get in a group game? To those that have the game, is this even possible? (I don’t have the game.)

Top third get first place points, middle third get second place points.

Otherwise I love Patchwork and Potion Explosion.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure we could get in a large group challenge in Railroad Ink. Might want to make it the sum of 3 games or something like that to mitigate some of the randomness, but that’s a cool idea.

Wingspan does come out in a few weeks as well. It is by far the superior game of the two, but a Railroad Ink challenge might offer the better variety as Wingspan is kind of “yet another engine builder.”

Our test game of Evolution also seems to be working with maybe one small bug that let @Baelnor end his turn when he didn’t mean to.

What’s game 9 again? I feel a Roll and Write would be a little anticlimactic for a final battle. I’m not sure what would be suitable (other than queuing up Through the Ages for a second round).

I’ll nominate Istanbul though…

Game 9 will be Ticket to Ride.

Thanks for the nomination!

let’s wait for Concordia!

Gg! JMH got out fast. I couldn’t hit a decent planet for my doomed world and had to scramble to stay up. Super fast!

Um…@Baelnor I think you posted the wrong screenshot? I see all zeros…

Reminder that if there was a tie of some kind, I’ll need to see how many cards and goods each player had left at the end.

Gg @johnl @Baelnor. Hereby a screenshot with results :grinning: image

3 Likes

Something I was thinking about as after a couple days of trying, beat @whovian223 Ironclad high score. It would be interesting for Decathlon to do like a STS round. Maybe not this time, but something for the future. I might do it as a timed event. Like 10 days to submit your highest score on all 4 STS characters, and your event score would be the average of the 4. Or just the 4 scores added together.

Edit: we could use seeds, so that everyone had the same paths? And we would submit scores from the Run History, so it would have the seed on it.

2 Likes

A neat idea with the one caveat that I believe the iOS and PC games are on two separate versions with some differences, so we’d have to make sure everyone was on equal footing.

2 Likes

Well now you’ve just made me have to break out the Ironclad again! I’ve been trying to get my 3rd Ascension for the Watcher.

2 Likes

Maybe we should do a StS test run before throwing it into a decathlon … ?

2 Likes