Stately Citizen Journalism

I just saw a Bananagrams app that Asmodee released in the last week, I believe. Not that I would be rushing out to buy it, but reviews seem to indicate that it is incredibly buggy at the moment.

Warhammer Quest 2 is currently free on iOS. I feel as if I maybe came down a little too harsh on it when it first launched because in the whole scope of the cesspool App Store it is quite a well done game. It is at least worth checking out for free for those of you have donā€™t have it but have any interest in a strategy RPG.

2 Likes

It was a very well done app and a steal at the price of free. I think thereā€™s a new character too? My main critique of it, which I think still stands, is that it was entirely too easy.

Yes, I do believe there is a new character, but I donā€™t remember what off the top of my head. Possibly something undead-related, like a necromancer or something.

I donā€™t know what my complaints were, exactly. I think part of it was that there didnā€™t feel like there was a lot of character development, at least right off the bat. Drops/loot was scarce as well. I like RPGs where my characters are developing from fight to fight and my inventory grows constantly. This didnā€™t have that, at least initially. I may take another look sometime soon, though, as it is a genre I quite like (that said, Fire Emblem may dominate my life starting next week).

1 Like

Plants vs. Zombies 3 is in pre-alpha now and I think some Android users can test it out with the caveat that there will likely be a boatload of bugs.

I am certainly not optimistic about EA keeping their corporate money-grubbing hands off this one, but the seriesā€™s core gameplay, at least, is great. We will see how monetization in this one is handled.

The character development and loot definitely didnā€™t increase at all, and one of my biggest issues with the loot (despite the lack of it) was that once Iā€™d found the best whatever for a particular character, there was no reason to keep looking for loot for them - itā€™s not like the game got more difficult and item stats ramped up too. I think at one point my archer character (whatever she was called - ranger? elf?) had nine action points, a bow that usually used 4 a shot, and some trinket that reduced each shot to only 1 ap, plus another trinket that gave some ridiculous crit chance. I could basically wipe out a room of mobs in one turn with just her - fun for a bit, but boring after five minutes.

1 Like

It looks like the Fluxx update is live. Iā€™ve never been a big fan of the game, but now that my son is starting to play some of the easier card games with me, Iā€™m a bit excited to see if it isnā€™t one he will get in to.

I also have to give Playdek props; not only is the game updated for our current OS, but it has also been made to fit the iPhone X screen. Thatā€™s Playdek going the extra mile to give the best experience possible, in my book. Thanks @Strangiato.

4 Likes

Is there a link for the Android version of Fluxx?

The combat is straight out of the tabletop. So far it only has a slay the spire-ish roguelike campaign though. No tutorial (but it seems to have the manual). Only 4 of the starting characters (No Mindthief :frowning: my fav). Could do with a slightly more generous undo button. If it gets either the tabletop gameā€™s style of campaign or something similar I think Iā€™ll be a happy camper. If it gets asynch multiplayer, Iā€™ll be an even happier camper.

1 Like

Thank you for the info ā€¦ I think I am going to plunge ā€¦

Itā€™s beyond weird. Mobile is, by far, the best digital board games market.

Donā€™t know, maybe Scythe did exceptionally well on Steam and it got to their heads? We know our studio would not last long just from Steam and weā€™re 6, not 60 people, lol.

2 Likes

There isnā€™t an Android version as far as Iā€™ve seen. Itā€™s not in the UK GP store, at least.

Its showing up for me now.

Available for me on iOS ā€¦ as a (free) update to my original pre-appocalypse purchase. Playdek kindly kept my play history so I see that I apparently did play some async Fluxx games. You live and forget and learn ā€¦

According to some poster over at BGG, Terraforming Mars was acquired by Asmodee who are developing it internally and plan on releasing in Aug-Sept. I donā€™t know how reliable a source he is, but it is certainly a plausible scenario.

2 Likes

Good to hear. Will look into it and see if I can find out any info.

1 Like

Looks like itā€™s one of the Fryxelius brothers.

If so, then Iā€™d say itā€™s pretty legit.

2 Likes

Good news! A lot of work had gone into the app - it would have been a real pity for it to wasted.

I keep noticing nice little touches ā€¦ like the highlights on the factors that will be affected by a card under consideration. But I really want to know which games in the list are waiting for me to take my turn when I get notified.

1 Like

Is there any way to refresh test flight? Mine only has 4 days left

Thatā€™s on the dev side. Not something you have power over (unless youā€™re one of the devs)