Stately Citizen Journalism

Oh wow, is it a board game or a modified version?

The description reads like itā€™s the board game. It says ā€œThe official digital adaptation of the board gameā€¦ā€

Yes and no, apparently.

I havenā€™t played the board game, but itā€™s more like a 40-episode campaign where you are playing it solo.

Iā€™ve heard people say that the variable damage and hit points on the zombies is different from the board game, but I donā€™t know for sure.

Looks like this is out on iOS as well; havenā€™t grabbed it so canā€™t attest whether or not its worth it.

I grabbed this, may play it on a break today to give it a shot.

2 Likes

I grabbed it on release day and havenā€™t played much. Initial impressions are that it looks good, plays solidly, and doesnā€™t do anything innovative. Exactly what it bills itself as: a light 4X game.

1 Like

Just for giggles, I figured that Iā€™d point out that both 1775: Rebellion and 1812, great board games that were digitized with weak multiplayer and almost zero post-release support, have a new priceā€¦$12.99ā€¦

1 Like

Waitā€¦ did they raise the cost? :open_mouth:

Yes, they didā€¦

2 Likes

Tropico updated to a universal app today. Havenā€™t gotten it yet, but will certainly be buying it the next time Iā€™m in a buying mood.

Also, I have to give props to Feral. They seem to have 3 iPhone games to their name - Tropico, Rome: Total War, and Grid Autosport. This is a developer who know what they are doing!

1 Like

Played through Zombicide over the weekend. It was ok, no real challenge (3 starred every level but 2 on the first try), story was fine, lots of loot & progression, couple of bugs but no real show stoppers. Decent mindless time waster thatā€™ll be forgotten by tomorrow.

2 Likes

Spellsword Cards: Origins just released.

While last monthā€™s Spellsword Cards game (Demontide?) looked like an offline Hearthstone, this one reminds me a little more of Meteorfall, at least based on the screen grabs.

Iā€™m a sucker for card games and will undoubtedly buy this at some point, but if any of you have any experience with it, let me know what you think.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing the beta on Android for a month or so now and Iā€™m much more a fan of Origins than Demontide. Definitely right about the Meteorfall influence.

Also that portrait UI makes me very happy as I predominantly play games while commuting or on smoke breaks.

I like the simplicity of this one but damn, everything makes it crash.

Right now you canā€™t switch to another app and return or check a notification without it crashing on you. If it crashes, youā€™ll have lost all progress on your current game.

There doesnā€™t appear to be an auto save between turns, so while after a crash itā€™ll give you the option to continue, it brings you to the galaxy map but there are no planets or anything you can interact with. You have to hard restart the app to do anything from here.

The only save option is Save & Quit at the moment, so itā€™d be a few extra steps to ensure you donā€™t lose progress.

Good game but these crashes make it pretty frustrating to play.

2 Likes

Humble Boardgame bundleā€¦

ā€¦lots of well known stuff if anyone wants to complete their steam collection :stuck_out_tongue:

Dead Cells has officially been announced for iOS. It will be a premium game and will release this summer for $10. While I personally canā€™t imagine playing this with virtual controls, I am in complete support of premium games on mobile, so this is great news in my book.

1 Like

Oh interesting. Virtual controls seem like a weird fit on this one for me, but I could see them working in some ways. Iā€™m curious to see if they adjust times as I assume itā€™ll be far harder to hit some of the challenge times with touch controls.

Do you know if itā€™s just iPhone/iPad or is it also hitting Apple TV? I could see that being viable with a controller for sure.

The press release states iPhone/iPad. No mention of Apple TV. Iā€™ve contacted them asking and will pass it along when I hear back.

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™ll be interesting to see how they adapt this if itā€™s smaller screens only.