Stately Citizen Journalism

Good question, I had it on the back burner for a while and started it up about a month ago. I could not buy any DLCs at that moment and planned to investigate later…which was now.

Radio silence by the devs since their last Facebook Post in Aug 2017. Since it was a niche product they may have moved on. Also not on Google store as it seems. So it has been pulled. Damn…should have gotten the Singleplayer content sooner TT

1 Like

Well there are some tough choices.

ARPG? Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: Martyr also on sale.
Think Diablo 3 in the grimdark future. A bit rough around the edge. Also go in on a Singleplayer mindset. The Multiplayer was wonky at start they plan to fix it but unfortunately the masses moved on before that could happen…it IS fun on MP but the options right now are to restrictive.

Also the game has the best iteration of how a Boltgun or Heavy Bolter should look sound and feel ^^

TBS Squadgame ? Warhammer 40k Mechanicus Think XCOM-lite in 40k setting…also a nice game, great soundtrack.

And Wh40k: Gladius - Relics of War is also a good choice. Think Civ6 without Diplomacy and fewer Races.
Rumors about Tyranid as a new Faction dlc soon…makes this a must buy as well for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re referring to Gladius, not Sanctus Reach…? Gladius is excellent, and the one I’d recommend over all the others mentioned!

1 Like

My bad, you were right. Editing original post now…
In my defense…sooooo many Warhammer Games in the last couple of years sooo of course someone will mess this up along the way…

2 Likes

Shoot, it was as I feared. Same thing here, I had not yet gotten around to acquiring the Leviathan content, and now when I was gearing up for some Battlefleet Gothic, it’s too late. That’s just crazy, and disappointing. Pocket Tactics gave it a 4 star review, and our @Tof had it #3 on his 2016 best list. As near as I can recall, it was the fact that at the time it was “not very stable on devices with less than 2 gigs of ram” that had me wait to dive in with it. :slightly_frowning_face:

Which brings us back to:

Highly regarded Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan didn’t even last two years on the platform, yet I can get one of my favorites from two decades ago, Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, from Good Old Games for $9.99 (currently $2.49 with the Winter Sale), that will run on current versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10), if my copy of Chaos Gate doesn’t work for me for some reason. :neutral_face:

It does make it hard to view app store gaming as more than a transitory experience.

So, @Private_Prinny, what are your thoughts on Sanctus Reach? How does it compare to Gladius as far as “atmosphere” as well as gameplay? I’m looking to be immersed in cleansing and purging heretics and xenos, the better the graphical immersion the better :grin: , and the videos have me leaning more towards Sanctus Reach and the original Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. :thinking:

Man Chaos Gate…what a great tactical squad game. I played it more than the original UFO: Enemy Unknown (thats XCOM: Ufo defense for people in Star’n Stripe country) and I was CRAZY for UFO back then.

But what I still remember is being nearly kicked out of my student dorm (twice!) for having Chaos Gate’s Soundtrack on max volume all day long :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I re-bought it from GOG as well. It practically begged for it.

I cannot comment on Sanctus Reach yet. I only played some levels at a friends place and haven’t bought it myself…will do so soon because winter sale and me being weak-willed - bless my poor wallet.
But if you want my TOTALLY professional and unbiased opinion…get Battlefleet Gothic: Armada now…it qualifies for the loyalty-discount on BFG:A2 (until release date Jan 24th 2019)…

why muck around in the dirt when you can do this…
1457696322-bfgoverviewtrailer2

Edit:
Another reason I haven’t got Sanctus Reach yet was that I haven’t forgiven Slitherine for Warhammer 40k: Armageddon being an overpriced piece of MEH™ (and basically everything else released by them on iOS going down in the 32bit APPocalypse…)

1 Like

What’s going on with Darkest Dungeon? I noticed that it is now giving me achievement pop ups, but I am also not seeing any of the information boxes unused to see when, for example, I would touch and hold on an ability.

Edit: Ability pop ups are back for me after a pulse restarts.

I am still seriously chapped about the disappearance of Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan. I have it on Google Play and can still download it from there, but they added Necron and Chaos fleets as DLC that is no longer available, so every time I open it, I’m taunted with “what might have been” - not just those fleets but a living game based on the tabletop rules that eventually grew to include all of the tabletop fleets.

I’ve played a little of the first Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, and it captures the ponderous “Jutland” feel of Battlefleet Gothic well, but I haven’t been able to get into it. Frankly, the PC game that Leviathan leaves me wanting to play is Blendo Games’ Flotilla.

I haven’t kept up with the news about Flotilla - how is it? Any good? Got some Homeworld Vibes from the Gameplay trailer (matched with some Starhammer/ Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock tunes).

It’s a clean, tight, full 3D, “we-go” tactical space game driven by realistic physics: think Frozen Synapse in space. It also has Blendo’s signature sense of humour. What it doesn’t have is a huge amount of variety or much customisation. I don’t know if it has been tweaked since, but when it launched, there was general consensus that the best ship (depending on loadout) was your starting ship because it’s higher speed and maneuverability, combined with a smaller target profile, allowed it to snipe and kite the larger ships.

So, in that sense, actually the opposite of Battlefleet Gothic. BSG: Deadlock is probably a better replacement for Leviathan, but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

2 Likes

“Hive with AI” gets updated every now and then, but the last one is huge. Online play (yes, A-sync) is now possible. It uses the Board game arena player pool and ELO-ranking.
No notifications (yet) but you can use Chrome for the notifications ( a new option over at BGA)

App is free but you have to pay for the expansion of you want to start a game with them.

2 Likes

Lord of the Rings Living Card game is coming to Switch.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-lord-of-the-rings-living-card-game-switch

Not tried it on steam yet. Might give it a try when it is released on the Switch. I am still interested in this game.
Anybody gave it some playtime on steam yet?

I dabbled when it first came out, but it’s changed a lot since then. It’s enjoyable for sure, but I was struggling with the differences vs. the physical version, which I’d been playing a lot at the time. Just felt like a missed opportunity, although I like how they’d designed some things.

2 Likes

I’m still not a convert; I love my Switch, but I have no desire to play board games on it over my iPad. Maybe that will someday change with time but not soon, I think.

That said, I love that the “genre,” if you can call such a wide variety of tabletop or tabletop-inspired games that, it branching out to new systems.

2 Likes

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/bringing-board-games-to-digital-life/

Dire Wolf, from Eternal and Clank! is turning some well known boardgames into digital games:
Mage Knight, Root, Sagrada and more!

4 Likes

That’s a lot of games I want to play! It looks like they developed lotus too, which I played with @whovian223, was generally very impressed with, and had working async right out of the gate. Colour me excited for this news.

Awesome news! Those are some great games and Dire Wolf seems to know their business with iOS. I haven’t played Lotus but they’ve done a great job with Eternal and Elder Scrolls: Legends.

SO MANY GAMES

My god, if I lived in (or was even remotely willing to move to) Denver I would be absolutely pestering them about that Senior QA role.

2 Likes

Really well designed gamebook style procedural dungeon crawl. Lost many hours to this over the weekend.