Stately Citizen Journalism

Are we sure this news is true? In my experience a company that buys gaming websites tries to hide the fact that they bought them and then run stories and reviews without allowing the editor to reveal who’s writing the checks.

My brain can’t comprehend a company announcing a takeover immediately with full disclosure…/

5 Likes

:wink:

but maybe in this case it’s an exception. because it’s a company running gaming websites and not a gaming company :relaxed:

You got a namecheck in the comments, too, if you didn’t notice.

“It’s the policy” is the modern corporate equivalent of, “it’s God’s will”.

As an aside, about two thirds of the time I respond to someone in these forums, the fact that it’s a direct reply just gets jettisoned (mobile web).

I think it’s a case of a post to a thread being assumed to be a reply to the immediately previous post unless explicitly marked otherwise, so you can only do that explicit marking for posts further back.

2 Likes

Big if true.

Which it appears to be. Did you get a notification for both of those replies?

“2 replies” in notifications, yes.

1 Like

Has anyone played Harald that has any impressions they care to share?

It is on sale for .99 right now.

Saw this on TA and figured I’d share–Devolver has bundled the two Reigns apps, so if you have one but not the other, you can get a significant discount on the one you’re missing. I bought the original at full price, so I just got Reigns: Her Majesty for free.

1 Like

While I haven’t touched it in a while, I did enjoy it. I’ve never seen so much depth to a game with only 6 different cards. Each card has 3 aspects, its name, its special ability when played, and unique end game bonus conditions. So your simultaneously trying to collect sets of characters that are currently valuable (whichever cards the community plays into the council give the same ones still in the players’ hands value), setup for good end game bonuses by having the cards still in your hand meet certain conditions, and intelligently use the abilities of the cards you play for their effects (which by playing mean they’re no longer part of your end of game hand scoring).

Sorry if all of this is totally confusing out of context.

These sales are becoming common enough that they barely warrant a post here, but it looks like Asmodee might be putting their catalogue on sale again, at least according to AppShopper.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why is Sid Meier’s Starships generally ignored/loathed? I was browsing the strategy section and it looks cool for $3. For what it is worth, I enjoy strategy games but I’m not a min/max number cruncher; I play kind of by my gut and am therefore not very good, but I enjoy the experience, especially from games where I am “growing” something like a vast civilization or thriving metropolis. From that perspective, is Starships worth looking at?

I redownloaded it the other day to answer that very same question. Then civ vi came out and starships got shelved again. From what I very vaguely remember battles became a grind in the end game. I’m not sure why, I think endlessly repetitive attacks by the ai stole all the fun.

For 3 Standard Units of Capitalism it is a ok game. The combat gets a bit repetitive so rank up the difficulty. The game was overhiped and people expected more features than it got. I had my fun with it and recently went back to play it but for what I wanted from the game back then it asn’t a 100% fit. But it is nice that you can customize your fleets even if that is a balance conundrum itself. I need to restart the game on top tier difficulty and see if my tactic is still viable then.

I now got Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan which is more to my setting (but cumbersome in the UI/gameplay section) but a more strong experience overall (but I am a wh40k nerd, newcomers mileage may vary.

Anyhow maybe look for a gameplay vid first before buying (either one)

1 Like

I think that a big issue with it was the over hype. If it hadn’t have had Sid Meier’s bañe attached to it, it probably would’ve been ok, but with that name people expected greatness.

I mostly found it very repetitive and one dimensional in the battles. It didn’t grab me from the get go, and I guess I was just pretty disappointed in what could have been a great game turned out to be.

Haven’t played in some time so hard to point to specifics, truth be told.

As I recall it was the fact that almost all ship research just resulted in stuff like +1 to weapon or shield ratings, nothing innovative. Also, while I can’t recall what it was now, you could easily kick even the hardest the AIs’ butt with a single super cheap tactic.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-sid-meiers-starships/

1 Like