Stately Citizen Journalism

For every Cinco Paus player who hasn’t figured out all the wand icons (or broken Portuguese descriptions), here’s a comprehensive list of all the wand abilities:

The game’s still challenging, but I like it much better now that I know what every symbol means.

3 Likes

Still haven’t managed to get good enough to go more than one or two loops, but I’m pretty happy to see that I had figured most of these out already. Except for the specific wall ones.

The non-iPad version of Civ VI (plus some other games later) is $12 through Humble Monthly right now. You can cancel right away and still get all the games. (Full disclosure: that’s a referral link, feel free to strip it.)

Well not that I am regretting buying Civ 6 for iPad for 30 Units of Capitalism but I really have to say what were they thinking? The Publisher sure could have spaced that out and pledged Humble to put the game in a later slot or something? I already see the pitchforks rising over the horizon…

Yeah…not sure whose great idea that was.

As it seems Spectre and Meltdown are just another two nails in the coffin of iOS 11 refusers…

Spectre and Meltdown vs iOS

Rumors has it that Apple only plans security updates iOS 11 which only works for iPhone 5S and newer, iPad Air and newer and the sixth generation iPhone Touch.

…at least MS did release an Windows 8.1 (and 7) update…

Looks like Scythe has a page on Steam now and is landing in Q1: http://store.steampowered.com/app/718560/Scythe_Digital_Edition/

2 Likes

A) Hopefully iOS isn’t too far down the line.

B) Please, please, please Asmodee, make sure there is asynchronous multiplayer! With asynch I will play hundreds of games online. Without, I will never play once.

3 Likes

Windows only? Goddammit.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Fantastic! Just picked this up and it’s superb… love the game and the aesthetic.

Probably obvious but I missed this at first - you can slightly move a card to the right to remind you what it does in the middle of a battle.

Yeah, you actually can use that to get hyper text when considering any of the bonus encounter choices outside of battle as well.

This may be way outside the realms of Stateliness, but I thought I’d mention my current addiction (though how long it lasts remains to be seen).

I really want to like fighting games. I love the idea of mastering a character and playing the behind-the-scene mind games that the genre involves. The problem is that I suck. Really bad. I went online with Street Fighter years ago and was made to look foolish repeatedly.

I’ve never tried a fighting game on iOS because I just assumed that the controls would be garbage. Well, based on an aside in an article I was reading I picked up Skullgirls (a game I had tried on my PS4 and - shockingly - sucked at). Skullgirls is a free-to-play game with all the trappings you would expect - timers, multiple currencies, blind purchases, etc. That alone should have been enough for me to delete it and probably scold my phone for even allowing me to install it in the first place. However, the game is gorgeous (it uses 2D models that are bonkers), the controls work surprisingly well, and there is a bit of RPG to the game as you play though a weak story mode and level up your skills and stats. I don’t know if you can battle online, but I haven’t tried.

I don’t want to make it sound like this game is the second coming, but if you, like me, are interested at all in the fighting genre, Skullgirls has actually been a pleasant surprise for me in spite of its pay model.

2 Likes

I was into Skullgirls for a bit as well, but the grind eventually got to me and I uninstalled.

Sirlim games (makers of several digital / physical card games based on fighting games) made Fantasy Strike (http://www.fantasystrike.com) with that same premise of mastering a character, not mastering button presses and I’m quite a fan of it. PC or Mac only though, unlike Skullgirls which is mobile.

Sidenote: I wish they would make a digital version of Codex. That game looks amazing but unwieldy to have to keep picking cards out of binders on the fly.

1 Like

I was thinking about firing Yomi back up. I’ve bounced off that game a number of times but want to try again. Maybe some Puzzle Strike, too.

Fantasy Strike definitely looks interesting to me.

Puzzle Strike I’ve never lost interest in probably because I played the physical version first with a good group and the tactile feel of the chips in the bags always lingers in my memory, but I’ve definitely uninstalled and reinstalled Yomi several times on my iPad. Can never put my finger on why it doesn’t click for me.

I like Yomi a lot, but it’s infinitely better in cardboard. The rock, paper, scissors mechanic is much better when you can chortle at your opponent for outguessing them!

2 Likes

Yeah it is. I still play a lot on iOS because most of my play group isn’t anywhere near me. It’s also better because you can get better reads on your opponent.

Infinite West might be of interest to folks here. It’s something of a Chess-like puzzler where you move your gunslinger to take out increasingly difficult combinations of enemies. Stylish and atmospheric, too.

1 Like

Good fun, pretty much “Hoplite Goes West”.