Stately Citizen Journalism

I was just thinking of getting Civ VI for my desktop computer. Now I can decide between the two…or get both.

So I have been looking at Star Traders: Frontiers for a couple weeks now, and because it is early access I figured I would wait awhile, but Steam Winter sale and all…Documentation is not really good, but I am flying around, taking missions getting into space fights, making contacts, leveling my crew…this really is everything I would want it to be and the game I think I have been wanting someone to make for a long time. Ship combat is like Turn Based FTL mixed with Darkest Dungeon. But then crew combat is just like Darkest Dungeon. I already have 5 hours into the game, have little idea what is going on, and don’t really care, because it’s fun.

Not sure why this link/preview is not working?

I’ve been looking forward to this. Are they planning to release on iOS?

No idea. But I don’t see anything in the game that would prevent it.

Yes, there is a plan to bring it to mobile. I kickstarted this and they have a broad commitment to deliver in 2018. I’m glad to hear the steam version is good, and I’m looking forward to playing it myself on iOS

Does anyone know Portuguese? Michael Brough just released a Broughlike that’s entirely in Portuguese and it’s pretty fun, even without reading comprehension.
1 Like

I don’t, but I’ll throw money at anything Brough makes at this point. I look forward to learning the game and a little bit of Portuguese while I’m at it.

1 Like

I’ve been messing about with it a little bit. I think Michael Brough is something of a genius when it comes to designing games based off simple rule sets with incredible depth to them. However he reminds me a bit of the bands that I used to listen to in my younger days who intentionally made their work inaccessible to the commercial masses.

I mean, having everything in Portuguese is pretty extreme - you can sort of figure out from the icons what the random wands do, but not enough for total precision. I’ve resorted to typing everything into Google translate which isn’t particularly fun.

It was the same thing with Imbroglio. The game was deep and really fun but eventually the long run up to the end game killed it for me.

Maybe I’m convincing myself that all this is totally fine. There’s definitely room for some Radiohead in amongst all the U2.

3 Likes

Brough is maybe the only “must-buy” designer still left for me.

1 Like

The game is a blast! Documentation is largely uneccessary but if some effects aren’t intuitve by the icon alone, you can always plug in the hover text to Google Translate.

While I’ve cleared a few runs (make it through 5 rooms), I have yet to gain any artifacts (assembled once you gather 5 pieces between successive runs).

Google tranlating the Appstore description gives you this:

You have five magic wands but you do not know what they do. Try to figure out its effects and go through all five zones. Take the treasures too if you can!

Five Paus and a new random labyrinth of Michael Brough, creator of 868-HACK, Imbroglio, et al.

1 Like

I don’t know Portuguese, but “pau” is stick, as in Jogo do Pau, the Portuguese sport/martial art which is usually translated “game of the stick”. However, “pau” is also I guess slang for “dick,” so Jogo do Pau can also be translated as “game of the dick”.

Apropos of nothing.

1 Like

I still contend this game might have been translated from English TO Portuguese via Google translate.

Just to be clear, Cinco Paus is eligible for GOTY 2018 nominations, right? This thing is superb.

1 Like

Cinco Paus is amazing… It’s successfully overcome the one problem I had with Imbroglio where the early game was boring once you started to get good at it. Here the early game is fascinating as you fire off your wands to try and figure out what they do, and the later levels become a really interesting puzzle. I haven’t had too many long streaks yet but after 5 games or so it seemed to add some extra abilities to the monsters so there is a meta game.

Really fun and extremely addictive.

2 Likes

I agree—Cinco Paus is great. And I always enjoy reading Michael Brough’s dev notes on his games—here’s a blog post about the game:

If past history is any guide, we’ll probably get a few more dev notes about Cinco Paus in the coming months.

3 Likes

Antihero is out on iOS!
not sure about Android.

this might become a big one here on SP.

[edit] i just had to learn that Antihero is only for 2 players.
must admit that i’m disappointed by this :slight_frown:

2 Likes

Woo! Don’t see it in the Google Play Store yet, or any sort of announcement on Twitter.

Love the game though (own it on Steam). Seems well suited for mobile.

edit: According to the Antihero facebook page the Android version should launch within days of iOS so fingers crossed. I’ll definitely be picking it up again on Android as it’ll be much easier to keep up with the asynch games.

Oh, great! I’m getting it no matter what, but is it 2-player only? Or can I play with 3?

Every map I’ve played on so far has been 1v1 only. I think the game is designed for 2 players.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.versusevil.antiherogame