Stately Citizen Journalism

Wait, what? This is a joke surely? They can’t mean civ vi, surely then mean civ iv at best… but the screenshot has hexes and civ iv was still squares

Definitely looks like VI -

eta: not being snarky with the link; the App Store pics def resemble VI, especially the fourth panel showing the research.

It’s free to try and I’ve got it downloaded, will check it out as soon as I can. I was really happy with my new pro 10.5, if this game works well on it then it will make my Christmas.

Yup, never so glad I bought the Pro 10.5 this year! Post impressions when you can, please.

1 Like

It says it will play on my mini 2, but it also needs me to install iOS 11. This seems too risky…

This is all-time legendary status on nonchalant game releases… oh, Civ VI is out too, no big deal…

5 Likes

There are price drops all over the place (as usual, this time of year), but two really caught my eye as these games won’t get any cheaper. (No clue if the links work–I’m posting them from my computer, not my iDevice)

Motorsport Manager Mobile 2 $3.99 --> $0.99

Invisibile Inc: $4.99 --> $0.99

My mrs has got a mini 2 with iOS 11. I’ll put the trial on it after work and see how it goes. Badly, I expect.

Briefly, it has local network multiplayer option but no online multiplayer option. Does that mean some dedicated players could find a way to pretend they are on the same local network?

The proof in the pudding is going to be how well the app handles the late game ie how long it takes to process the ai turns. I started up a huge map (which warned me waiting times may be longer than expected) and the early turns have about a 7 second delay while the ai takes its turns. It’ll be days before I have time to play into the late game though, such a busy time of year.

Probably, but thanks for checking!

Annoyed that Yomi doesn’t appear to be on sale on iOS this time, although it is on Steam. After we hauled out the decks and played a few rounds, I was ready to have the iPad keep track of stuff for me. Maybe next year.

I’d love to hear how the AI is holding up. I assume this should be the equivalent of last spring’s patch, right?

As a Mac user, and a big fan of Civ, I have been very unhappy with how Aspyr has been handling updates for Civ 6. They are always way behind, which breaks all of the Steam Workshop Mods, especially CQUI, which is a superior UI to the game than Firaxis built. It’s been two months almost since the PC got the last balance update and new civs, but Mac/Linux users are still waiting. This has happened for every major patch, and I for one do not trust Aspyr to be able to handle updating via the App store, which is trickier than Steam.

They’ve done a good job with Jade Empire as well as KOTOR, so I wouldn’t count them out yet.

It took 3 1/2 years for the iOS version of Yomi to go on sale for the first time. I’m not holding my breath waiting for the second one.

Civ 6 DLC included:

Also, this Twitterthread is a very very good read: https://mobile.twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/943889984746086400

Yeah, and it wouldn’t be that big a deal except like the day after it ended, after I’d bought a couple more physical decks, my girlfriend (during a game of Age of Rivals) expressed her preference for games played on the iPad over physical ones, when I had thought it was the opposite!

It does work on mini 2, it’s slower but not fatal…so far. There is a warning at the main menu that the device isn’t compatible, but it lets you play anyway. I also suspect the art assets are even further stripped back, I’ll try and get some side by side screenshots when I can get the other iPad back.

Is it worth upgrading to iOS 11 to play a game that might grind to a halt in the late game? I don’t know when I would find the time to see if that’s what would happen

That twitter thread has some very interesting information in it. The guy reckons you can enable retina graphics by modifying a file, but suggests using a Mac app to do so. My main gripe is that some of the graphics are a bit muddy and unclear, so high res graphics would really please me.

1 Like

Looks cool. Though it looks like you need a Bluetooth keyboard to enter debug panel. Amazon has some cheap ones though.