Stately Citizen Journalism

Yes! The assists in Mario Kart are awesome for kids!

How are the controls? I generally donā€™t play platformers of any kind on mobile.

Nor do I. Controls in this are great - literally one finger anywhere on screen controls the character. Left to go left, right to go right, up to jump, and double tap to push / pull things.

Only time I felt pressed to move was when the dog was chasing me and I had to run / jump over the crevasse. Otherwise, kind of a slow, stealthy movement.

Caveat is that Iā€™m only about ten minutes in, but if this scheme sticks (and I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t), I wholeheartedly recommend it as a guy who hates platformers (hereā€™s looking at you, Forma8. Sorry, @Pitta).

:slight_smile:

Inside is incredible, even better than Limbo (one of my favorite games ever).
Getting the same vibes as Another World when I played it like 30 years ago for the first time.

Iā€™m 2 hours in and now Iā€™m stuck (for the first time actually).

I still have to input my GOTY nomination because of all those games recently out even if Race for the Galaxy is still the most suited title for this website.

But I have a long list especially if we include ports (The Witness and Oxenfree come to mind).

If you are playing FX3 undocked, i heard there are some framerate issues that need to be worked out. If you are playing docked, the most likely culprit is input lag caused by various image processing from the tv. Make sure you turn on Game Mode in your TV settings.

1 Like

Ok, will check that out. I have a fancy Samsung TV that never had a problem with the XBox360ā€¦but will see if I can find something like that.

I grabbed Gorogoa too, based on the strengths of the reviews out there. Looks beautiful; apparently everything was hand drawn by the dev. Itā€™s four tiles that you slide around to make different areas for the protagonist to move - makes more sense when you see a video.

Havenā€™t played yet but Iā€™ll post impressions when I do. $4.99 purchase, 580 mb download.

This game looks beautiful. Can you also please let me know if there is any reading requirement? Iā€™m about to load my 4-year-oldā€™s tablet up with some games to help us survive a cross-country road trip.

No reading requirement, but Iā€™m not certain itā€™s well suited for that age group - unless your four year old is better at puzzlers than me, he / she will be frustrated. I could see my five year old playing this for a hot minute and then firing up the Hungry Caterpillar or one of the Endless Readersā€¦

1 Like

He loves puzzles and picture manipulation. His current favorite is Hidden Folk. I just like giving him things that provide some sort of mental stimulation, even if he gets frustrated.

Go for it then - and thanks for the tip - I never thought of Hidden Folks for my kids!

My 7 year-old loves Hidden Folk as well. Definitely wonā€™t be giving him Gorogoa though. It will melt your brain and I can see kids getting frustrated very fast. Hell, Iā€™m getting frustrated pretty quickly. Itā€™s an amazing game thus far, but unlike anything Iā€™ve seen so Iā€™m not quite sure what Iā€™m doing. As things slowly come to light, however, it is pretty amazing.

Exactly how I feel - I was kind of stumped three or four moves inā€¦

On am iPhone 6 screen, the image for the vote is cropped so that it looks to read ā€œvoted did you?ā€

I immediately read it as Yoda.

3 Likes

1 Like

Pinball Arcade came out the same day as Zen for those that might be interested. Hate the Hercules table (very cramped, which is not my thing, I like more open designs) but Iā€™ve played on switch in portable mode and performance is not bad (and you can play in vertical mode!)

I donā€™t like the touch controls for Fez, personally. The swipe option feels disconnected to me and if you opt to use buttons, they are too close to the others. I have no desire to continue playing. Iā€™d be interested if they put it on Switch, though.

Pinball Arcade is on Switch? My absolute fave (and the one I want a real copy of in my basement some day) is the ST:TNG table.

I might have to steal my kidā€™s new Switch after Xmasā€¦

2 Likes

For those who enjoy MOBAā€™s, Arena of Valor is on the App Store for the US now.

Thereā€™s a ST table, but I donā€™t think that one is available, at least not yet.

And speaking of tables: Any chance of the BGG blog removing the table that is breaking the crap out of everything?

Did that fix it?