Stately Citizen Journalism

Oh, man—the Wiggles. Those are, um, not my favorite memories of my young children.

2 Likes

Haha. I’ve actually seen them live. And have pictures with them. Oh, man, what have I beocome?

2 Likes

I have been fortunate that my five year old never got into the Wiggles. She was always about Elmo, and I have a fond nostalgic feeling for Sesame Street myself.

I bought the Switch for the family, it will be her first experience with a console. I bought Mario Kart and some dancing game my wife wanted to play with her.

2 Likes

Don’t know anything about this one… give us a blurb?

1 Like

It is a platformer (like Mario) but the idea is that the background can be rotated to give a different perspective and therefore different possibilities for movement and ascension.

2 Likes

I haven’t been made as motion sick by a game since the original Dark Forces!

3 Likes

My favourite platformer, but usually the last thing I’d want to play on a touch screen device is a platformer.

The game itself is sort of about the joy and wonder of exploration and seeing things from a different angle, both literally and figuratively. Even including a language to decrypt and lots of secrets that aren’t just given away at any point in the game.

Also, that soundtrack. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Oof, I’m with @Kolbex - just watching the trailer made my eyes hurt!

1 Like

I’m back to report on the two new Zen tables. Both are available on iOS as individual purchases of $1.99.

Adventure Land is amusement park-themed. The music is grating but the table is fun so far. There are some great ramps and orbits that resemble a roller coaster and help give the table some great visual flare. The speed changes down the loop ramp in particular can be a little jarring, but not too bad. I think I will like this table.

Son of Zeus is a Hercules-themed table, and boy is it ugly. There is a terrible volcano (?) blob in the upper right, an ugly hydra-head ramp, and two transparent two-level areas. The board does have some great audio callouts, though. I’m a bit indifferent about the missions and don’t see this table as having the staying power to keep me coming back to it.

There are better tables in the Zen Originals selection, but there are certainly worse tables across the Zen collection. The price alone is worth it for each table as $1.99 for a table to master is hard to beat. I wouldn’t go rushing out to get either of the new tables unless you’re starved for more but the tables are good enough to recommend to an enthusiast.

First Strike updated to include the Final Hour update… more weapons, diplomacy, etc. I forgot what a great game this is! Now, if only someone would port DEFCON to iOS…

1 Like

Defcon would actually be a perfect phone game. Play it real time, get alerts for launches, etc.

1 Like

I’ve been dying (no pun intended) for Defcon to make the jump for years… no reason the coding should be that difficult - it doesn’t have 3D graphics or anything. (Spoiler alert, I know nothing about coding and judge a game’s difficulty in porting purely on the graphics and AI)

1 Like

Inside (http://www.playdead.com/games/inside/), from the creators of Limbo, surprise released last night… didn’t realize till getting to work and now I can’t wait to get home and download it. It’s 1.3gb, so definitely need good wifi.

Free to try the first level, and then IAP for the full game - I’m not sure of the pricing.

eta: full game unlock is $6.99, according to TA.

Announcement trailer for Eighty Eight Games new game, Photographs.

Previous titles including 10,000,000 and You Must Build A Boat

1 Like

Playing Inside in iPhone X is out of this world.
Absolutely stunning.

Also, Race for the Galaxy update with new expansion is finally live.

3 Likes

Talisman also updated with the Harbinger Expansion for purchase as well - $1.99 USD

1 Like

I’ll grab it when I get home tonight. Is there a tutorial? I’ve never played that expansion before.

1 Like

The last act of Inside is one of the craziest things I’ve seen in a game.

Is it too late for Inside to be GOTY runner up? This game is awesome - the sense of impending doom, the ambient sounds, the graphics, the multitude of ways I’ve died so far* combine to make this just fantastic. Fully worth the purchase price.

*fell down a crevasse while being chased by a dog; eaten by said dog; shot; run over by a van; crushed by the box I was pushing (special f you there); and, in the most morbid one yet, drowned in a puddle by a guard / pursuer type guy. This all in the ten minutes or so I’ve played so far.

eta: runner up since I already threw TtA in there, and it has gotten more playtime.

So our Switch arrived today. My 5yo loves Mario Kart. We have all of the assist on for her which are really nice, plus the motion steering and she was cruising.

I just tried Zen Pinball, all 3 of the free tables. I have played Zen Pinball on PC, iPad and Xbox, and am generally a fan…but there is some weird delay on the flippers it seems on the Switch. It just feels sluggish and a tad behind.

1 Like