Stately Citizen Journalism

Just popped in to see if anyone was familiar with this. Don’t see much in the way of reviews for the physical version and the app trailer is pretty worthless.

I’m looking into it. We didn’t get a press release or anything about this one, just a tweet, so we’re not entirely sure what the details are yet.

I’ve never heard of the physical game before. Its a set collection and hand crafting sort of game. Has a few really annoying issues though. Namely that you can’t cancel a card you pick from your hand, if you pick it by mistake.

Someone on TA said there was a timer, which would make it a pass for me. Unclear if it can be disabled, though

Edit: anyone? The video Brad Cummings made showed no sign of a timer that I could see.

Picked Shephy up on Switch today and it’s a neat little digital adaptation of a solitaire card game, complete with challenge and story modes. start with a single sheep on your tableau and use cards to grow that into a flock of a thousand, mitigating the damage of hazardous events like meteors, plagues, and the grim reaper along the way.

Only played one game so far, but I like what I’ve seen. Well worth a look for 5 dollars.

1 Like

I got this on my iPad. I think it is free, with a IAP to unlock the campaign. I played it a few times, seems okay. I lost a few times and I think I won once. My (non-expert) impression is that the path to victory will be similar each time (and many different ways to lose).

Yeah, when I made the post, I hadn’t realized I was available on mobile.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I probably won’t pick it up immediately, as WHQ2 will rightfully be taking up my time, but Halcyon looks interesting…

It looks like Cottage Garden is out this Thursday from Digidiced. I find the game pales next to Patchwork, but I’ll probably pick it up anyway…

I’m sure there will be a thread about it so we can move over there if we need, but why do you think it pales in comparison to Patchwork? I know nothing at all about Cottage Garden but for some reason assumed it was to Patchwork what Caverna is to Agricola…

That’s what he said. Cottage Garden pales next to Patchwork. Same as Caverna does when compared to Agricola… :wink:

1 Like

Lol, point taken. I, too, like Agricola better, but Agricola already has a good deal of depth. Patchwork is fun but fairly straightforward; a “bigger and better” take on the general idea might be right up my alley.

Cottage Garden takes the concept of Patchwork, and removes the interesting dual economies of buttons and time from the game. Instead you have a relaxing “pick whichever piece works best” game.

Let’s not turn this into a Caverna vs Agricola debate, because we are all in agreement that Agricola is the obvious winner…

Soooo… if we don’t like Patchwork, no point in checking this one out?

I suppose it depends on what you don’t like… If you think Patchwork is too complicated, or limited by only being 2 player then this may be the perfect game for you.

I’d say completely uninteresting.

on BGG Caverna is the higher ranked game: strategy 10/ overall 11
Agricola 15/15

I’m going to trust that the posters on Stately Play are more discerning…

2 Likes

I guess what we can all agree on is that euro games are far superior to Ameritrash games, and their grumpy old grandpas, war games, right…

/runs away

[quote=“Mirefox, post:300, topic:134, full:true”]
I guess what we can all agree on is that euro games are far superior to Ameritrash games, and their grumpy old grandpas, war games, right…[/quote]
We’re just not on the same page today, but that’s probably because I’m coming off of four days of indoctrination at GMT’s Weekend at the Warehouse.

I also just received the “new” Agricola today, and a brief scan of the box contents leads me to this conclusion:
Original Lookout Agricola > Caverna > Mayfair Agricola