Stately Citizen Journalism

Smash Up just appeared in the Australian (I think) store. I don’t know if it is a soft launch or will be arriving on the US store soon, but either way the game is imminent. It is listed as $7.99, but I don’t know if that is the AU price or has been adjusted to US dollars already.

The app is universal and has online, though it doesn’t specifically say asynchronous, which I am hoping beyond hope it is.

1 Like

Its up in NZ for nz$7.49 which is is about us$5.40. If its the same as the other asmodee games it will be sync only, but we can hope. Im in no great rush to get this one, so I’ll wait for impressions and an affiliate link

I would have bought Smash Up a year ago when it first came out, if they would have released it for iOS. They kept promising it would be out soon. Now I’m not so sure I’ll buy it. I’ve played it with my family a few times and I’ve never really warmed into it much. Plus I keep losing. I’ll wait to see the reviews. There are so many other games to play.

It also has its work cut out for it releasing this close to Through The Ages.

That said, if the game is asynchronous, I will absolutely purchase it since I can never have too many asynchronous board games to play against distant friends. Plus, Smash Up is at lease different enough from other games (read: not another deck builder) to justify a place in the digital collection.

Received a download code from Handelabra for Bottom of the 9th as a thank you for beta testing it. First time I’ve every received a personal email as thanks, let alone a code for the full app. Truly a stand up gesture.

1 Like

@js619 Apparently Scythe is coming to iOS and Android

1 Like

But no async?? That’s a poor decision.

Yeah, I don’t see the point of that. Though it is Asmodee…

I know some games aren’t built for it. I actually applaud the decision to not make Colt Express async (played it async on BGA a few times, it really sucks because you have no memory of the cards that were played after a day or two).

But when a game doesn’t have any interrupts and you can just take your turn uninhibited, I don’t see the reason not to have async.

Agreed - some games don’t lend themselves well to async. But making this sync only is akin to making TtA sync only.

1 Like

Ugh. UGH! I can handle no asynchronous play in games that play out in 5 minutes or in games that involve a large amount of playing during the opponent’s turn (though I would still argue that the option should be there), but I cannot stand when a lengthy and involved game doesn’t let me play at my own pace. This 100% guarantees that if I buy it, I will only be buying it as a demo for the tabletop version. Come on, Asmodee!

1 Like

Darkest Dungeon is out on iPad worldwide.

1 Like

Agreed. This is what keeps me from playing Talisman, although with that you could make the argument that turns are dependent upon others… not so with Scythe.

Asmodee is a clueless bunch.
a Scythe boardgame table session can go on for some hours, with considerable downtime when opponents take their moves.
how can they believe that more than a handful of hardcore gamers will play this in hours long sync online sessions??
crazy! absolutely crazy!

Some developer created a poll at bgg last month to prove that most people don’t care about async. I think based on his poll, no async was only a dealbreaker to 10-15% of the people. Maybe this guy got hired by Asmodee!

There’s really no doubt that asynchronous play is not wanted or needed by the vast majority of people who purchase mobile devices.

And I’ve never written a line of code in my life, but it would seem to me that adding asynch to a title just adds a ton of work and a ton of time for the developer … and is the pay-off there? Clearly, some developers are answering “No, it is not.”

but only sync for Scythe simply makes no sense.

then they could have skipped an online option at all. even more work and time could have been saved.
if a “little” bit of play-and-pass action for a local long afternoon session is all what most mobile gamers want.
and solo games can be great fun too.

but color me absolutely uninterested in digital Scythe from now on.
won’t hurt the company much.

Even if async doesn’t impact initial sales, I think it must give a game more longevity on the App Store, as those of us that will play a game async for years are its biggest advocates…

1 Like

Sync clearly makes sense for short games, such as Hearthstone, where most games last about ten minutes.

Despite polls surveys that indicate players prefer sync, it’s obvious that will not be the case with Scythe. Sitting around a table is one thing. Online participation is quite another. Downtime at the table is enforceable but is unenforceable online. If I don’t like my position or I’m bored, I can walk away - and that will likely have a negative impact for the other players.

I expect Scythe sync only will be a disaster. It doesn’t make any sense. Btw, sync also pretty much obviates playing against friends who live a few time zones away.

1 Like

I’ve never played Scythe, and really have no plans to, but I do agree that some games seem like they would be a great fit for asynchronous play.

We spoke with Asmodee at Gen Con and their answer about async wasn’t as concrete as in the past. I specifically mentioned Scythe or TM only synchronous wouldn’t be good and they agreed. Hopefully they’re looking at async options.

1 Like