Stately Citizen Journalism

1 Like

Apple planning $4.99/month price for Arcade game subscription service after free trial, works with Family Sharing

1 Like

Yeah I’m good with that pricing given the games they’ve shown for it. Overland can’t come soon enough!

1 Like

It isn’t the price that concerns me, but the way Apple has, in the past, been borderline inept at handling gaming. I’m very, very cautiously optimistic, if the software is good.

1 Like

I don’t know how much they’ve talked about it, but they are hiring (assume by this point they already have) someone to curate the games that come to the platform. This is them recognizing they’ve dropped the ball in the past and have contributed to awful practices in the market simply by enabling them. They’re betting heavily on this from what I’ve been told and are putting a not insignificant amount of money into it.

Overland will be the reason I stump up the sub, at least to begin with. Also nice to take a game off the vapourware list.

1 Like

I remain skeptical at games as service.

My preference is to buy and play at my leisure. A subscription creates tension within myself that I have to play to create value.

2 Likes

Yet nothing about stopping volcanoes.

1 Like

Fully agreed with this sentiment. Been looking forward to this one ever since it was announced circa 2014’ish it seems…

You’re not alone!

Mi-Clos just announced a sequel to Out There. Haven’t had a chance to watch the trailer yet, but the original was a gem. Even though I sucked terribly at it and never won.

6 Likes

Surprised this is happening when, iirc, Sigma Theory was meant to also hit iOS but I haven’t heard even a whisper about that outside of the original announcement.

Curious to see how they change things up.

1 Like

Sigma Theory’s been out in Early Access on Steam for a while now. I don’t remember it being slated for iOS. Just PC / Mac / Linux, at least according to the games website.

They appear to have removed any mention of mobile for it but at least until some point in 2018, it was slated for console, mobile, and PC.

2 Likes

Forgot about Sigma Theory. Too bad about the lack of mobile, I was looking forward to that one.

I agree, I enjoyed Out There on iOS, but no surprise that I never won.

1 Like

Looks like this dropped a day early, as it’s on my phone now! Haven’t had the chance to play yet, but may do so on my lunch.

1 Like

Just a reminder, since Gris was recently mentioned, that the iOS update is near and I do believe we will be able to use console controllers at that point, which should help greatly with the platformers.

If the pattern of the last few years holds, it’ll be in the first few weeks of September. I can’t wait!

Oh, what? Ffs. Ok, I take the karmic blame for this because I said I was looking forward to the Sigma Theory iOS port in the Vapourware thread. Or maybe it was a premonition. Either way, meh.

1 Like