Stately Citizen Journalism

@Pitta has a Tweet that made it on to TouchArcade. Just sayin’…

2 Likes

Go back to PSP where that game was really intended : ) One of my favorite games all-time, but I cannot play that using the mobile controls.

Yeah, same. I bought it because I had so much fun with FF Tactics on the GBA and everyone says great things about WotL… although admittedly I didn’t realise they weren’t the same game until AFTER I’d bought it.

But yeah I’ve been trying to give it a fair showing and… man, I really HATE the control scheme on my phone. I just can’t do it.

I like the chart in your other post a lot. Very illuminating, as HS should be peaking right now, given a recent expansion release plus new solo content and a bunch of card buffs. But MTG is eating it for lunch in the US. Blizzard must be pretty disconcerted about that. Maybe they will continue to up their game even more.

I also still play HS, despite a few irritations I have with the game. The solo content continues to get better, IMO, and the recent phase-out of a few older expansions has opened up the meta a lot by getting rid of some cards that were killing the game. The old even/odd decks drove me away from the game for about 6 months, honestly. There’s actually some variety now, which I haven’t felt was the case in a long time. And it looks like Blizzard is much more willing to keep new content flowing more often.

MTG, I think, has a higher barrier of entry for most people, and as more expansions get released, that barrier gets higher and higher until it feels impossible to get into the game (for me at least). If Arena can find a way to overcome that, it could dominate.

I feel similarly as you about Eternal; though I don’t play ranked, I do only check in when a new expansion is released, and then fade out after a few weeks. It just doesn’t hold my attention for some reason.

@Mirefox is right about the Pokemon TCG–that game seems to just keep chugging along, though because it’s Pokemon, it’s hitting a different type of audience than the other CCGs that we pay more attention to. And it’s well-done, honestly–I just won’t play a game where victory can be so often decided by a coin flip.

I think I’ve talked about it before, but the Pokémon TCG is one of the points of hypocrisy in my life. I really detest RNG in card games and really can’t stand Hearthstone because of it. Yet I tolerate it in Pokémon. I’ve tried to rationalize it before and can only come up with 1) At least it is a fixed 50% rate whenever that coin flips, and the results are know, and 2) the coin flip is a good solution for mimicking the way status effects work in the video game.

Ah well, I guess I’m not perfect…

2 Likes

The “no more than three straight posts” rule for Discord is about the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever encountered.

Can someone — anyone — make a post in our tournament thread here:

I’m trying to update results, but now I’ve hit the wall.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting CCG/TCG discussion here.

I agree with the thought posted above that it does seem to have slowed down a bit, overall, in terms of new releases or major expansions. My memory is that 2015-ish to 2016-ish was the “oh, look, it’s another CCG” era on the App Store … but most of those games have already died.

The current landscape is pretty predictable:

• Hearthstone dominates, especially on mobile
  • Magic Arena has a lot of people excited, but hasn’t made its mobile plans public
  • Eternal and Elder Scrolls are both solid games with a devoted core following … but both have issues and it’s difficult to picture either one getting much bigger
  • There’s some outliers having some success. I’m thinking of Plants vs. Zombies: Heroes in particular
  • I don’t play Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, so I can’t say for sure what the landscape is like there. I’d imagine both are hugely successful.
  • I’m not sure we’re going to see a lot of new releases. It seems like developers have discovered that it’s hard to run a CCG; they need constant support and innovation. And, let’s face it: Hearthstone won.
1 Like

I think I may have fixed it? I set maximum number of replies allowed to 50.

Let me know if this did the trick.

Sorry about that. I know it’s been a pain for a while now and I’ve just been too lazy to look into it.

Blaming the defaults, not you, just to be totally clear. In fact, go ahead and take $5 out of petty cash; treat yourself to something nice.

6 Likes

Like a nice currency pack for one of those free to play games we know you love so much.

2 Likes

PvZ Heroes was a bit of a surprise and I quite enjoyed it. I don’t know if it is being supported much anymore.

There are two Yu-Gi-oh apps. One is basically the full tabletop game, the other takes the same core rules and streamlines it for a quicker experience. I’ve never gotten the appeal or Yu-Gi-Oh as a game as the mechanics seem a bit of a mess to me, but I do think both are still going pretty strong.

TCGs are a scary thing.

• I like Warcraft but after half a year I bounced from HS back in the day, granted it may now more to my liking (more Singleplayer stuff) but that period to excite me has passed…
  • I like Pokemon but the mobile TGC version?..2 Days then delete
  • I like Elder Scrolls somewhat…Legends? Naah delete
  • I like MtG in paper a lot but too-many-digital-restarts-and-reboots-screw-you Wizards!
  • I like Warhammer 40k a metric-ton-LOT…Horus Heresy: Legions…I still play…and play…and…play…and I accept that it may be the weakest entry in the list in regards to overall QoL-Quality (The UI needs a lot of work), Artistic quality and Gameplay mechanics (the newest released Thousand Sons Cards have thrown the balance wayyy out of whack…thrice be cursed Psyker mechanics…still I play it…

Brains sure are curious things…

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Warhammer Age of Sigmar (or whatever) CCG?

Evolution just updated… and apparently they’re pretty excited about… wait for it… pass and play mode! It literally got an exclamation point in their update notes but still no async…

2 Likes

Instant joy followed by immense disappointment reading your brief emotional rollercoaster ride of a post.

Edit: did they change the icon, too? It looks different and I think I liked the old one.

1 Like

Sorry… didn’t mean to send you on that ride, although I got excited when I saw it updating too. And I think yes to the icon - that’s the box art now - but also I hate it and liked the old icon better I think.

1 Like

The Pixel People re-release just, um, released. It’s a time-gated building game in the same vein as Tiny Tower. For some inexplicable reason this is one of the few f2p designs that I tolerate. I enjoy this one.

Baldur’s Gate 3 has been announced for PC and consoles.

1 Like

So far this is just the teaser, right? The story I read had much of the details up in the air.

Yeah, almost no details at all. The only confirmed systems are PC and the upcoming Stadia, but they strongly hinted at more consoles.