Legend of Solgard discussions and guild talk

how can you be so sure about it?
i’m in slot 28 right now in Grandmaster League but can’t feel secured at all.
in the last whee hours of every season there is so much motion on the leaderboard.

btw just catched the final chest and it was a nice one :smiley:

Because it is Sunday and I still haven’t hit 2200. Only 4 people in my group at 2350

Finally beat level 130 on about my 20th try … what a pain. It’s nice to finally make campaign progress again.

On a less positive note, I absolutely got stomped in the Grandmaster League this week. I almost look forward to going back to Master League for a week (or more).

That feeling won’t last long. I beat that stretch while wyrms were boosted. Stuck at 137, which I’m not even trying to pass at the moment.

I’m repeatedly slamming against 125 right now. I’ve gotten close a couple times, died once with the AI on 2 health, which was maddening. Need a lucky run I guess. It’s discouraging to know I won’t get much further without similar woes.

I think it’s the nature of the campaign on a lot of these matching games, candy crush, gardenscapes etc. From what I understand it’s relatively easy to manipulate the drops to create these road blocks, then frustration, then spending.

Luckily there’s heaps of other content here so we can still get a sense of progression in other areas

possible to reach the end of campaign without spending money.
i’m sitting there (160/160) for some time now, waiting for the announced new content Niflheim. no campaign action till then.
so i’m glad about the heaps of other content.
Guild Dungeon, Treasure Hunts, Underworld and esp Boss Arena my favorites.

btw some of my “companions” on spot 160 have remarkable team setups.

Agreed. My wife spends quite a bit on Gardenscapes, despite my mocking every time the Apple receipt comes. :smile:

In my case frustration is more likely to result in wandering off to play something else, though I’m not there at this point. It’s a good morning-coffee game.

Some of the campaign battles seem deliberately designed to encourage the use of different teams.

Or at least there have been a few times where I have been stuck on a level for a while and then progressed by changing up the team (requires thinking/knowing about all that lies before you and that is usually only available after failing a few times). Of course it could just have been luck when I did succeed.

I am now beating my head against level 130 … it took @geigerm 20 tries he said … better dig in for the long haul. I just got promoted to the Grandmaster League and based on his experience I will have a rough week there!

But no pressure on any given level, I can play when I want and no requirement to spend money. I have bought the 3x daily diamond drop subscription offer because I wanted give the devs something for the time I have had with their game. And the diamonds will no doubt come in handy one day.

To hopefully save you a little time on 130, since it’s fresh in my mind: you’ve got to kill as many guys up front as you can before they become active attackers with 15 health. Wyrm Wrangler, which attacks the first row or two every time you merge one, was extremely helpful. Also, wait to merge troops until you know which two enemies are going to be promoted so you can hopefully target them.

Just an FYI -

I decided on Sunday to buy the Legendary Gem pack for $10, to support the game and thought it would be fun to mess around with one of the legendaries.

Unfortunately, I never received the pack. I had sent a note on Messenger on FB and they gave me a zendesk email address, and I sent screen shots of my account information and the purchase in my Apple account. Have not heard back from them in two days.

So they might be a little sketchy.

@geigerm Thank you! I did move to Wyrm Wrangler for my last attempt for the reason you mention. Great tip to delay merging … quality rather than quantity is needed. Meanwhile I should also get some defences built and remember to hit the boss now and then!

This is absolutely the case. If someone is trying to use the same team on every fight, they are doing it wrong. If you are struggling with a particular level, take a step back and ask yourself if you need a different team.

@Snotty128 there’s no need to manipulate drops, nor do I think they do that. The levels are simply challenging,

1 Like

I don’t know … I’m not feeling super-positive about the whole experience any longer. I think blatantly gating the campaign experience is a poor long-term choice.

I don’t care about the money argument; every consumer will make his/her own choice in that department (FWIW, I usually throw a few dollars at good F2P games; I get that game development isn’t free). And I get that the skill level should go up as the challenges get tougher — having the sense to switch teams being a basic example for Solgard.

But when I try a level 40 times … and like 38 of those were doomed to failure almost immediately … and I switch up teams and try to play as tactically as possible, and it just makes no difference at all … well, then I start looking for other games. Because it’s not about the money, and it’s not about the time, and it’s not about being scared of challenges. What it is about is FUN. Or a lack thereof.

The overly-brutal campaign levels have sucked the fun out of the room for me. I’m now logging on strictly to help the guild, to collect loyalty bonuses, and to open up whatever chests are there. I don’t even glance at the campaign map; what would be the point?

The whole thing is kind of sad, really, especially since it’s been a long time since I was this enthused about a new release. But I play games for fun. I don’t mind a good challenge, but there’s a distinction between “challenge” and “ridiculous.”

1 Like

The thing is, I think some people have rushed the content more quickly than it was perhaps intended. To use an analogy, I’m not bothering to try to finish the campaign right now, because I know I am woefully under leveled.

Instead, I’m focusing on other things like now and trying to strengthen my roster

2 Likes

Isn’t this the way with almost every f2p game?

I agree with most of what Dukester said. The levels I get annoyed at are not simply a matter of changing teams, not when the difference between getting crushed and winning is a matter of how helpful your drops are. 130 is a great example. I could tell if I had a chance based on how many Wyrm Wranglers are on my opening board.

The rushing the content comment makes sense, except that the game itself pushes you to win 5 campaign battles a day.

The levels before the chests and the boss battles are meant to be a challenge, but it’s pretty clear to me they are also meant to be mini pay walls. You can absolutely get past them with patience and luck, but you can also pick up some gems and spend your way past. A lot of people prefer the latter and that’s fine. I’d never suggest somebody didn’t spend money on gaming!

1 Like

I get the frustrations. I’ve probably finished 5-10 campaign levels over the last two or three weeks—I get my five tickets a day through heroic level raids and a couple of treasure hunt/rainbow levels, usually. If the campaign was my primary focus I’d be irritated, too.

I like the other modes enough that I’m still enjoying the game. I play a ton of Hero Arena, I haven’t gotten stuck on bounties yet, and I enjoy the challenge of the underworld. I find the guild stuff pretty useless, but it’s a minimal commitment.

1 Like

130 is definitely a bear. Won’t deny that.

it’s a case of bad wording.
treasure hunts and heroic level raids (farming certain creatures’ medals by tapping on the magnifier icon) qualify for fulfilling the daily quest "five times the hero!“ too.

campaign is the least important part of the game for me. ok, because it’s over now :smirk:
but it had been the same before.
when stuck in a level i just tried some times and then turned my attention to Hero Arena, Boss Arena, Dungeon, Underworld and Heroic Raids (to get creature gems of my most important team members or most featured newcomers).
and only after i had made some progress i tried again.

don’t let campaign ruin the fun for you. just forget about it for some (maybe long) time when stuck.
for overcoming certain campaign levels you just need upgraded abilities and creature stats, and maybe a new team member.
and playing campaign is not needed to fulfill 8/8 daily quests.
sooner or later you will reach the end of campaign anyway. no special reward for this btw

progressing in hero levels and making the team better and better is the core of the game for me.
and the basic battle mechanism is just fun, and again and again i have some epic battles esp in Treasure Hunt, Rainbow and Hero Arena.

a longterm engagement? certainly, and i’m glad about it. it’s easy on my time and not overdemanding. no stress, just relaxing fun.
what may the future bring? new campaign area (not so important), new events and (who knows?) real-time online PVP like in Primal?
[recommended: check out Primal for a stunning and fresh approach to match games]

btw i lost interest in Boom Beach, Space Miner Wars and Dungeon Boss in the very same moment when i had outmaxed all installations and troops.
i guess that won’t happen for Solgard in a long time to come.

1 Like