King of the Hill - Multi-Game - 3-Player - League

Official Rules: Updated 11/6/22

Each member of the league will have listed 5-7 3-player games. It is their choice as to how many games they list, as long as it is 5, 6 or 7. It is expected that if a player lists a game, they have all expansions, or an expectation that they are willing to buy any challenged expansions.

The 2nd person in the list would then challenge the “King” to one of the games on the King’s list (does not matter if the 2nd person has it on their list or not.) The challenger to the throne sets all of the rules of the match, expansions and any in-game settings like starting options.

The 3rd player in the match would be the first person on the list who also has that game on their list of 5-7 games. So it could be the 3rd person on the list, but it could also be the 7th.

If there is no 3rd person on the list with the challenged game on the list:

• the next person on the list with an open slot, could choose to add the game to their list, and if they declined that option would continue down the list of those with an open slot.

• If no one with an open slot wishes to add the game to their list, it would pass down the list to find someone willing to change a game out on their list.

• If nobody accepts, the first person on the list who owns the game (honor system) would get drafted.

After a match, the winner is King, and the two losers go to the bottom of the list.

The only times you can make changes to your 5-7 game roster is when there is no 3rd person with a challenged game on their list and you have a chance to join, or if you just lost a match and are in one of the two bottom spots.

3 Likes

yes, i think that i’m IN.
esp intriguing that we can choose our individual highlights/favorites!

my list could look like this:
Concordia
Gaia Project
Brass
Castles of Burgundy
Through the Ages
Yellow & Yangtze
Roll for the Galaxy

2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully we will get more interest. I assume that it was a lot to read and process so we may get some delayed interest.

I think my initial list would be:
Sagrada
Wingspan
Through the Ages
Castles of Burgandy
Lords of Waterdeep

Not sure on the last, maybe Gaia Project, still getting a feel for it. Race for the Galaxy maybe.

Also, I would only pick 6 I think to start. I think there is a whole other strategy though in how many games on your list.

1 Like

Sounds like a suitably complicated way to play a variety of games! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Count me in, although I’m trying to understand the mechanics of the ladder still…

It sounds like there is only one game being played at a time? Or is it groups of 3 players at the various “rungs” of the ladder playing each other?

And what do we do when @Hardco joins and nobody can defeat him? :wink::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@Codington Yeah, only one game at a time, everyone else just chills. That is the other reason for deciding to try this with 3 player, so more people playing at a time.

Part of the reason I came up with the list of 5-7 games is that even if someone is dominant in a lot of games, someone will know they can beat that person, or have a good chance to in one of the game on the list.

I’m up for whatever, but I’d rather be given the choice to join a game, rather than being left out if it isn’t on my list…

If you are first or 2nd you will be in the game for sure. It’s just if you are down the list, there is some gamesmanship on what you have on your list.

I’ve barely looked at how this works but there’s a solid chance I’d play.

2 Likes

I think I’m interested–not 100% sure I follow the whole concept, but it sounds cool.

2 Likes

I’m with @Mirefox and @geigerm lol

1 Like

It’s not really that complicated, but I will walk everyone through it. I think it will make sense once we get going. I think we have 7 of us now, and more can join later, since it is a ladder anyway.

I will setup a couple things in the next day and we can get started.

Ok, so it looks like we have to start:

@kennfusion
@js619
@geigerm
@Mirefox
@Hardco
@Codington
@JammaTal

Anyone who wants to join late, can join at the bottom of the list.

Next steps, I need each of you to post what your 5-7 games are for the list.

I will manage the ladder on this spreadsheet here.

Once I have everyone’s list of games, I will use Random.Org to determine the starting ladder order and we can begin.

I will walk us through the mechanics of the challenge, it is not as complicated as it looks.

2 Likes

Please, put me also on the list

1 Like

Le Havre
Puerto Rico
Isle of Skye
Viticulture
Sagrada
Wingspan
Concordia

1 Like

Through the Ages
Gaia Project
Wingspan
Puerto Rico
Concordia

1 Like

Through the Ages
Wingspan
Ascension
Carcassonne
Castles of Burgundy
Galaxy Trucker

1 Like

here my corrected and final list:
Through the Ages
Concordia
Puerto Rico
Gaia Project
Brass
Yellow & Yangtze

1 Like

So should I pick games that everyone has on their lists?

one thing for sure: you should pick Brass! :sunglasses:

You should pick the 5-7 games that you don’t mind being challenged to and that you are confident that you will win.

That said, having more games in common with others might increase your chances of being the 3rd person in a game.