How's everyone doing?

I suspect you’re right about this, although the side-effect of disgraceful behavior at the President/Cabinet/Senate level is that people are looking elsewhere for intelligent leadership and finding it in their governors and state- and city-based elected officials. On the other side of this crisis, a lot of people will remember the leaders who actually did a good job leading them through it–as well as who failed the public completely. The images of bodies piled up in tents is not going to go away.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/04/04/coronavirus-government-dysfunction/

Somewhat to JS’ point, I remember watching all the public parts of this happen. But it’s stark reading it laid out in this timeline. The folks at Office of Management and the Budget (OMB) don’t come out looking well.

1 Like

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

2 Likes

I was speaking more on a personal versus a globally level, insofar as the ineptitude and lack of leadership. Although I guess it applies equally…

1 Like

The stare of death the missus gave is unforgettable”.

@Apex, it sure is disturbing. FWIW, I am a subscriber to the Washington Post, they do hate Trump and his administration with a passion. Other administrations did their part, too: Fact check: Did the Obama administration deplete the federal stockpile of N95 masks?

It’s hard to put one’s faith in a bureaucracy. I’ve been critical of the U.S.'s War Production Board during World War II, but their ineptitude & resulting deaths pales in comparison to this. IMHO.

In addition, as @Baelnor says, “I don’t believe China”. They were slow to respond, and they were not forthcoming with the severity, which they downplayed while they appear to have aggressively pursued acquiring supplies from other countries, that those countries would need once it spread to them. I doubt we’ll ever get anything resembling a true number of dead out of China.

Anyone who relied on the information coming from communist China was misled, and by the time China shared what information they did it was too late, folks had already spread it.

1 Like

Popular story estimating actual Chinese deaths are around 40,000.

4 Likes

This definitely contains no answers, but if quite adequately frames the question - what is the correct course and how much will it cost?

2 Likes

I’m probably drinking more than I should be at night, but it’s a nice way to spend the evening once we’re done with our thankless jobs while this is all going on.

4 Likes

Saw a report on the news last night that this is being used in the US now. 300 desperate cases have been approved. Still too early to determine if it has been effective.

2 Likes
1 Like

Checking in, I’m doing fine. I’m being treated for hypertension, and in an older category, so I’m fortunate in that I’m located where I can get home delivery on groceries, so I’ve been taking advantage of that option and staying out of the grocery stores as I’ve been instructed.

Ring Fit Adventure is unavailable, except from scalpers, so I picked up Just Dance 2020 on the half-price Easter sale from the Nintendo e-shop, from the recommendation in last week’s Feature: Best Nintendo Switch Fitness And Exercise Games article. Just started with it, but looks like I can indeed get some enjoyable indoor exercise from it.

As far as the situation in the USA, I thought this graphic was a good one to help show what happens when you don’t get out in front of a situation like this. Once you fail to get in front and are chasing it, it’s too late.

Hope everyone has a good, and healthy, Easter! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Late last year, I went to a wedding, two of my friends getting married, they’d been together a few years and finally decided to tie the knot. They were still very obviously in love and it was special. She was admitted to hospital yesterday with coronavirus. She died today.

I had to call my fucking friend, who is now a widower at the grand old age of 37, and try and communicate my support, but there’s nothing to be said or done. There’s just a terrible blankness. And there’s nothing I can do to alleviate it.

I took this seriously from the start, and I have been smug about it. I am no longer feeling smug. Don’t take any fucking chances, please, everyone. Just play it safe.

13 Likes

My condolences for your loss.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

Jfc man, I’m sorry. That’s fucking awful. Here if you want / need to talk

1 Like

Oh shit, I’m so sorry dude (and js619 too, sorry I didn’t say at the time)

And I know what you mean about the smugness. I knew moving to NZ would make me safer from whatever apocalypse would come. I was smug about that too. I just never thought about how crushingly, desperately sad I’d be at the pointlessness of it all

I’m sorry, Ivor. Please stay safe too.