How's everyone doing?

I’ve often joked with my students that I wished my water bottle had liquor in it while teaching. I’m not sure what’s still stopping me now. (Probably my five year old, who is hard enough to parent sober.)

3 Likes

Well this is horrendous.

Yeah, drunk five-year-olds vomit even more than sober ones.

6 Likes

I am not day drinking, but I am drinking nightly. And as my work is global, I can often have meetings late into the night. I had a 9pm meeting last night, there were like 30 people on the call and I had my camera off. Usually I have my camera on and someone mentioned it last night. Someone else responsed “it’s because he is drinking.” So I turned my camera on for a moment, lifted my double IPA to the camera, and then turned it off again.

5 Likes

I’m not going to ask how you know that.

1 Like

They say we’ll all know someone who dies from this… I suppose you can put me down in that column now…

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss. Losing someone at 33 is a damn tragedy.

I hope “they” are wrong about that … I know a few people who are infected at this point (parents of friends) and am obviously hoping they get through it.

1 Like

I’m thankful that I (so far, knock on wood) don’t know anybody with it.

I’m so sorry for your loss, @js619

Sorry for your loss. Poor children.

Ugh … so young and with kids.

Not that it makes it easy for anybody to die. Two people I know have died for “virus aggravated” reasons. They were both aged and had health problems … but weren’t “due to go” so soon. Unfortunately I guess it won”t stop there …

Our first responders… our heroes.

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”

Well shit. I’ll raise another glass.

There is many a head that is aching,
There is many a cheek that is sunk,
There is many a heart that is breaking,
Must burn with the drinks we have drunk.

So stand to your glasses steady,
'Tis all we have left to prize.
Quaff a cup to the dead already
And one to the next who dies.

1 Like

The people of my country are deeply stupid.

Infowars: not even once.

It hit me a few minutes ago just how nuts this all is. I normally work from home a decent amount, so my job doesn’t feel all that different … at least not until I log in to deliver a “virtual” lecture. But I’m actually nostalgic for my office.

I hate my office. It’s part of a large room that was subdivided into offices, so for our department admins sitting out front to avoid freezing all winter, the heat’s jacked up for the whole area. And, since my office contains a whole wall of heating elements, it’s usually around 85 degrees unless I crack a window open. In the summer, the sun shining through the windows heats it even more–the AC can’t keep up.

Anyway, I hate my office … but I’d gladly go in tomorrow if I could.

(Yes, I realize how whiny these first world problems sound. I know how fortunate I am to have my job and my health right now, and if this bitching strikes a nerve with anyone, feel free to tell me to F right off. I won’t be offended.)

5 Likes
1 Like

So sorry to hear that. This must be tough because you work with people who are getting a lot of exposure, and NJ’s case counts are growing fast.

The circle keeps getting closer towards me. I found out Monday that someone I worked with on a couple projects died alone over the weekend. He reported a fever in early March and 2 weeks later this guy who is in his early 30s is dead. We don’t know it’s COVID-19, but it seems likely. One of my direct reports was much closer to the deceased and is really afraid he could be a asymptomatic spreader. Add in my bosses won’t back off having people in the office >50% of the time unless you’re medically high risk and the whole team is stressed.

I can only imagine what it must be like for you. Let us know if there’s anything we can go to help.

5 Likes

I think one of the hardest parts of this whole thing is seeing the ineptitude of some leaders on all levels. It boggles my mind that there are people not taking this as seriously as they should…

6 Likes

I think that’s a bit unfair. These are crazy and unprecedented time’s and they are trying to balance things based on their ideology, the advice they are receiving and what they believe is the best short / medium / long term outcome horizons.

It’s still early days. We don’t know who has done it best yet. I don’t believe China and I don’t think New Zealand is a shining pedestal.

We will find out in 6 months who got it right.

These are crazy and unprecedented time’s and they are trying to balance things based on their ideology

The unfortunate thing is ideology shouldn’t come into it. Ideology here in the UK is leading to a lot of deaths, under the guise of ‘herd immunity’ which isn’t a practical option without a vaccine, which is leading to too many deaths and massive economic damage. Our prime minister is currently in ICU because it was all a joke to him, he thought he could let it solve our old age care problem and have it burn through the poor.

It looks to me like the US is going to have it worse, with outright profiteering at a very high level, and way more deaths (even as a percentage), mass grave sites in parks, and an absolute lack of people taking note of previous work, including prepared pandemic plans.

When you start off with unnecessary deaths, it’s hard to argue you’ve got it ‘right’.

1 Like