Gems of War News and Discussions

One thing to remember is that the rewards are pretty much the same whether we win or lose from what I understand (based on our final ranking).

I think it’s more about winning than the rewards. I don’t even open chests most of the time unless there is a new Mythic to chase.

yup, Primal Legends. the real-time PvP matches can be awesome nailbiters.
an outstanding feature that i would like to see in GoW, but i guess this will never happen.
Primal is not a typical match-3 though. it’s a bit like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.
for mastering higher campaign levels you must be ready to experiment with different team setups. often feels like a puzzle. i like it.
more than GoW? the games are quite different. they don’t really stand in each other’s way.
but the Guild Wars feature a big new Plus for GoW.

i have demonstrated today how easy it can be to totally fumble the war effort when using a suboptimal and not “tried and tested” color specialized team.

so i stand corrected.
and you are doing great when sticking with your favorite team.
it will take some time to find and to improve special teams.
and they will never be as strong as balanced multi color teams.
it will be a constant gamble. how strong are the defenders? can i dare to change my trusted team? intriguing…but dangerous.
no one can be blamed for not wanting to go that road.

I don’t really have color specialized teams. Actually my primary team of Gorgotha, Emperor Khovash, Sorcerer/Crescendo, Moloch is purposely built to have all 6 colors so that when I explode Gorgotha, I get maximum use of exploded gems.

For color focused teams, 2 color troops work really well. I have been testing a variation of the above team for Red Gem Day tomorrow of Carnex, Sorcerer/Crescendo, Crimson Bat, Moloch. My bat only has the first trait, but I don’t expect it to ever have to do skull damage, so losing the 3rd trait here does not matter. I tested today a few red/green options to replace Crescendo, but I just like that too much. Also I am not running any brown, which is not normal for me to have a color hole.

I was doing pretty good, but that last high-powered team of Mythics kept me frozen all the time, I wish I had made a snapshot of their composition, it is worthy of copying, at least it would be if I had those at the Mythic level. I have a strong dislike for facing Queen Mab.

It seems that I had 10 “lightning bolts”/“thunder bolts” and was able to make 10 attacks, which included yesterday’s opponent. I dunno what that means, tho, since it was yesterday’s opponent. For instance, we are ahead of both of our opponents when I logged out, says “Day 2 ends in 4h, 49m”, does that mean we get credit for victories against both opponents if we are still in the lead of both at the end of Day 2?

you are right. the launch was fumbled. very much so.
maybe half of the guild is not even aware that the Guild Wars have finally started.
some patience may be needed now.

but it hurts to see that some very active players rush to PvP rank #1, collecting lots of throphies but don’t fight Guild War battles.
the more so because Guild War battles count as normal PvP battles, bringing along all kinds of normal PvP rewards: souls, gold, trophies, glory and keys.

so i guess they simply don’t know about the Guild Wars.
and no way to alert them :persevere:

i hope the reward window which came up today, informing about special Soul and XP rewards for “having won first day’s battle” will make them think “what’s going on?”

that team triggered a streak of 10-12 extra turns in a row.
Northrender had 70 attack then and Queen Mab kept blasting volleys at my team.

1 Like

on each day we fight a different war battle against another guild in our bracket.
no connection between those, except that points are added.
so yesterday’s battle had ended, and the timer for today’s battle is running down.
on each day each guild member can fight in 5 rounds vs members of the other guild.
point rewards are scaling up when doing so.
at the end of the week we will get our rewards.

or am i wrong and new players could go back in time (by “skip this guild” to switch through guilds?) to fight in the first war? i don’t think so.
[EDIT: but so it is. all 30 attacks can be played later. see later post from Falkenstein. but NOT by pressing “skip this guild”! beware that button!]

in your first screenshot you can see the green laurels, showing our win on day 1.
the flags notify the active battle.
and…holy moly! we have taken the lead! :upside_down:

I found the answer in the patch notes (http://gemsofwar.com/3-0-patch-notes/), I’m glad that I did not tinker with that “Skip this Guild” button, but thankfully they say that there will be a prompt and a warning. :open_mouth:

SKIPPING GUILDS

• At the bottom of the Attack screen is the option to Skip a Guild.
  • This will concede all matches against the current Guild and simply progress to the next one, then you can do so here.
  • This will use up any remaining battles left for the current Guild battle.
  • Skipping a Guild is not reversible, so players will receive a prompt & be warned when they try to do so.

Their description was what I experienced, I had 10 battles available to use today, it queued me up against our Day 1 opponent for 5, and then our Day 2 opponent for the next 5:

Attack Tab
BATTLES

• Number of a player’s remaining battles is displayed in the top left corner.
  • Each set of 5 battles MUST be spent on the “next” guild in your schedule… so you play 5 battles from WAR 1, then 5 battles from WAR 2, etc… you can’t jump back and forth.
  • Battles aren’t lost if you don’t use them… so you could wait until the final day and play all 30 battles in a row if you like!
  • Battle amount is reset at the start of a new Guild War. So, unused battles are not carried over.
  • NOTE: You cannot purchase more battles… we’re not that kind of game!
1 Like

holy moly! :flushed:
thx for clarifications, Falkenstein!
so we are flexible.
but we won’t know the final outcome till the end of the week.

I finally got off my lazy ass and created an account. Guild wars looks to be a promising addition and I like how it encourages players to try out different combinations which can only be a good thing (maybe one day emperor,valk, justice, mab will stop being a plague upon the kingdoms). There does not seem to be any downside to it as they count towards your PVP ranking as well.

Finally an excuse to stop grinding souls with my dragon soul, kerberos, giant spider, kerberos team. :grin:

3 Likes

Nice going @Debris … the nearly 12,000 points so far this war.

I (Serenissima) suffered a loss yesterday by using an unfamiliar team as I tried to maximise brown troops. That meant I did not get to fight the 750 point opponent … worth as much as the first four put together. But my Kereberos did miss three 50% devour chances and his pal Great Maw was killed when full of mana so that stuff can happen.

Lack of awareness is probably one reason for the low level of guild participation in the war … but we are still firmly above the bottom tier in our bracket

holey moley…I totally forgot you were Serenissima.

This really has sparked my enjoyment in the game again. I don’t even have half the heroes unlocked, because I just had the same team for the past year that almost always won.

The red team I played this morning was solid. Carnex is a beast if you can get him off quick and build his armor. Impervious turned out to be nice also, and picked up a weakness Gorgotha has. But Gorgotha’s 75% skull reduction and the fact that his explode is just more powerful…it’s hard for me to not tank with him most of the time.

I did switch back to my main team for one of the 5 matchups, as I was concerned about running against Gloom Leaf without Emperor Korvash. So 4 matches with 3x Red and 1 match (the middle 200 pt one) only 1 Red was 4,483 pts.

2 Likes

I tried an all scale guard team, fully trained, for the first opponent today.

And lost…

Any suggestion for a good defence team?

this new daily message should alarm our missing Champion, Herald and Vanguards that something is going on, right?

we are doing great in the guild wars.
and when (very) active members who keep farming seals, trophies and gold each day will join the war effort too, we can rock the bracket :sunglasses:

it’s definitely great fun.

1 Like

I playtested for a while last night trying to get a reliable 4 red team and couldn’t find one so reverted to a 3 red team to improve my chances. I think it is valuable to test them in PvP if you are not sure they will be successful, although that will hurt your PvP stats if you care about that. My mathematics is a bit shonky but I think a loss always reduces your points more than taking out 2 troops of the bonus colour.

I also just realised that the level of the statues affects the amount of colour points bonus you get. An incentive to boost the statue levels.

2 Likes

Which statues? The main guild ones, or the new Guild Wars ones?