Gems of War News and Discussions

Anyone have a good team suggestion for War?

Just got my first Mythic and want to put him to “good” use. :smiley:

@JammaTal Your description of reaching the top 100 just reminded me of my M:TG Puzzle Quest experience. I picked up that game shortly after Battle Mode was introduced, and once I had played for a few days, I was able to win one of the battles. However, I didn’t enjoy it much by the end–the jockeying between myself and the guy who finished 2nd was ridiculous, and there were extended periods where I did nothing but play that game. I deleted it shortly after that.

Of course, this trip down memory lane inspired me to re-download M:TG Puzzle Quest, so I guess it couldn’t have been all bad.

1 Like

My one experience with going for the top was also good/bad.

This was years ago … 2007, maybe 2008 … and I was playing a lot of Cosmic Encounter at CE Online (which is all but abandoned now). I had finished in the top 10 of the monthly standings a number of times, and had even finished second, but had never been the top player for a month.

The one month I decided to go for it was full of stress and heartbreak, mixed in with occasional elation. The staying up late on the final day of the month to keep an eye on the second-place guy seemed both silly and a possible harbinger of some mental-health issues.

But … I won it. Got my prize. Slept for a week.

Gaming is weird.

3 Likes

I find that Gems of War still scratches my casual match-3 itch, but needed to locate the old crew on an active forum to see what’s up, if anything, for this new Guild War patch and functionality.

Do we have any Guild War plans, either competitive or exploratory, that would benefit from coordination and participation? :slight_smile:

I haven’t played in a while, just logging in a bunch of times each day and donate that to help the rest of the guild (and to collect souls for my own benefit when I start playing again)
This new guild wars soumds like an excellent trigger for me to start playing again, so I am all ears. At least let’s give it a try.

at first let me welcome @Falkenstein on SP :kissing_heart:

i accidentally triggered the Guild War participation, but i think it’s ok.
we just had to give it a try, right?

i’m starting to save glory, souls and gold for spending on Guild Wars combat bonus statues.
i was a bit irritated that it seems like not the whole guild will be able to share these boni? only “higher ranked players”!? :flushed:

It looks like those bonuses only affect those of the Sentinel Rank within the guild.

I promote anyone to Sentinel once they have donated 1million gold. It’s about 2/3 of the guild.

I’ll have to thank the GoW guild for leading me to this nice site, which I didn’t know existed until yesterday. It seems most of the PT writers I enjoyed following back then are now here, which is very good.

As for Guild Wars, I’ll definitely give it a try. I’ve been on a “log in daily for reward, contribute weekly to the guild” beat for a while. This new mode is sparking my interest.

Would be looking for recommendations for daily color-intensive decks, as well as an effective defense deck. I’m doing quite alright with my PvP Soul Farming deck (Knight Coronet, Valkyrie, Giant Spider, Keeper of Souls), but I’m sure there’s faster/better out there.

1 Like

Re: Guildwars

While I would have liked if we had more participation yesterday, I certainly don’t want to make this a mandatory every week thing. I don’t usually play 5 PvP matches a day. I am on a family trip next week and will be doing nothing but logging in once a day. And that has always been how we have rolled.

I do think it would be good though if we tried to make a concerted effort once a month to get max participation.

thoughts?

i really thought that after all this buzz and all these weeklong preparations the interest might be higher at least in the very first Guild War week.

and the degree of ignorance was so overwhelming with only 17 of possible 150 attacks done :anguished:

up to now, there was not enough motivation left for me. all kingdoms 5 or 6 stars (except the two latest), all troops at Mythic level (except the latest), all traits for all important troops. so what to do? no reason left for extended play sessions. so i was ok with laid back casual style.

but now: 6 new powerful color specialized teams must be formed.
research must be done for further upgrading defense (installing new defense as own and then making test matches against own defense.)
reading through forum threads on gemsofwar.com.
discussing ideas.

devs have made GoW great again!
and i feel like a bear waking up after a long winter’s sleep and ready for some serious action.
and Guild Wars are here to stay! it’s perma action :flushed:
6 days a week, and week after week.
i’m ready for 5 matches each day.
but i guess 90% of TKK not :confused:

ok, so i must accept that TKK is just a casual guild or must try to find a more active and involved homeplace, like so many of our most active players have done before. Emos and Parker come to my mind, but there were more.

i’m uncertain which path to follow just now :rolling_eyes:

i might as well go back to low profile play in TKK and go on with Primal.
the real-time PvP feature is simply amazing and always fine for lots of exciting matches.

I am not opposed to trying to switch the guild into a Guild Wars focused guild.

I think it would have to be a compromise though. If we required 5 matches a day to stay in, probably not from perfect teams of all 4 in the days color. I don’t know that I could put together 6 teams that fast.

for the moment i just scrolled through all my teams and found a decent (old) 3x brown team (Gorgotha, Emperor Korvath, Succubus, Famine).

will take some time to find and form and improve the best possible teams.
and meta keeps changing. a neverending task. but isn’t that fine? :grin:

esp Devourers like Kerberos and Kraken are very interesting new options.

Yeah, for brown I had Gorgotha and Emporeor Korvath on my main team anyway. I need to get Famine’s 3rd trait, and then can just add a purple/brown weapon to my Sorcerer avatar for the 3 demon bonus. For Yellow, I can put Moloch in for Korvath. Brown and Yellow are the two easiest for me to work on, as I just need to finish Famine.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should just make Guild Wars mandatory. There will be no shortage of other guilds who don’t make it mandatory for those who don’t want to participate to go to.

3 Likes

for the 3rd war match i simply exchanged Succubus for Kerberos to go for a 4x brown win. that was an easy win because the defense was weak.

but now i’m facing some ugly defenders: Manticore/Manticore/Deep Borer/Bone Dragon.
the Manticores start half-loaded and have 34 attack. they will load up with one match and improve their attack for +15 and deplete my mana. BD will spam skulls for Manticore doing serious damage. Borer will load up BD.
i should better play no foul games and switch back to heavy duty team.
or? go for a gamble?
this Guild War feature is so enjoyable :nerd_face:

but wait…i just looked back into the game and the opponent has changed his defense :flushed:
so the thinking starts from scratch again. i love it :grin:

many friends are playing in TKK, so it won’t be an easy leave.
in fact i don’t really like the idea at all.

re Guild Wars mandatory: 5 games each day should be possible.
and not every player must take it so serious as maybe our top guns.
so we speak of 5 “easy” games which count for ranked play too btw.
and if someone is away for days or longer, that would be no problem too.
it would be already much better if we reach about 50% of possible attacks :upside_down_face:

I got lucky on the Manticore/Manticore/Deep Borer/Bone Dragon deck this morning, I was able to power Gorgotha on turn one, and on turn 2 was able to power Korvath, Crescendo and Moloch.

I guess making up for that horrible loss I had against that Spirit Fox/Assiante game I had, where he defeated me on his 2nd turn. 3 times he hit 10% chance in two turns. It was insane.

wait, you can play all 5 of your matches at the lowest guild wars level? I just assumed once you beat the first guy, you had to move on. I never actually tried to repeat, except for the game I lost today, I had to fight at that rank again.

To be honest, I lost track of Guild Wars starting, guild chat ingame was pretty quiet and now it seems to have exploded. Gems of War ingame chat was traditionally so broken and unreliable that I don’t look to get any real info from it, but is it now fixed and where we should communicate?

But, it’s not all my fault, 25 days ago Jamma Tal posted that he “triggered the Guild War participation” … and then nothing. I registered on these forums 25 days ago asking “Do we have any Guild War plans, either competitive or exploratory, that would benefit from coordination and participation?” and it’s only 6 hours ago that we started discussing it, so I’m not surprised at all that “the degree of ignorance was so overwhelming”. :confused:

I certainly missed the word that Guild Wars involved 5 daily attacks under the “Guild Wars” button on the guild interface, I was expecting to see something show up on the PvP interface, that shows how uneducated I am about it.

Where do folks recommend we go to read about all the options and how best to optimize our participation? For example, there is a “Skip this Guild” button on my “Attack” screen, but have no idea what or when I’m supposed to use it. On the “Sentinels” screen, how do I apply bonuses to guildmates?

Where should I go research “6 new powerful color specialized teams must be formed”? I don’t have any color specialized teams, I’ve always just enjoyed casual matching all the colors on “Warlord I” difficulty, so my teams have been the multi-color teams that I have found to deliver the most Gems of War casual fun at an appropriate difficulty setting for me.

I have no idea what these words mean, where do I view/set “the lowest guild wars level”?

It that Primal Legends? I had looked at it briefly in the past but did not get sucked in, are you enjoying it more than Gems of War? I’m likely more of a casual match-3 player than you, tho. :slight_smile:

I have a setup and mindset similar to you Falkenstein: playing multicolors on Warlord I, some weeks skipping PvP and doing only daily login, missing most of the mythic cards. I played my 5 Guild games yesterday and lucked out that 2 of my troops were yellow. That same setup only has one Brown, so would score less today. I can look a little bit for a different deck, but won’t spend hours on it, and the GoW forum isn’t very helpful to find team listings.

Still I’ll make an effort to play my 5 games a day, even if it isn’t optimized for colors. If we want to do more as a guild, I’ll see what I can do.

I can’t guarantee that I can play every day the next weeks. But it is a lot of fun so far, as an additional motivation I put a new record in guildwar so far… try to beat me :grin:

Nah, brown was my lucky day. Will be hard for me to keep up such a good score :laughing:

1 Like