Gems of War News and Discussions

I feel as though this would be very helpful : ) But even more helpful (at least to me) would be a color-based line-up guide. As in, “On Blue days, here’s the line-up(s) I use; on green days, I use this, etc”.

Ghost Paw is very aggravating to deal with, PS.

Here are the main troops I use for each day. As I think the first position is very key, I will separate those. Here are 3, I can do more later this weekend.

Blue -
Tank/First - Krystenax, Knight Coronet, Moranthi’s Will
Moranthi’s Will - if not used in the first position, and I need drain. High utility.
Astral Spirit - usually a filler, good damage
Dragonian Rogue - primarily if I want to mana drain the last position
Behemoth - primarily only against Kraken and then he takes up the 4th position
Tesla/Crimson Bat - Tesla against higher armor, like Orcs, otherwise Bat.
Emperor Khovash - These days primarily against Famine and Death for the stun on 4 or 5
Lord Ironbeard - Triple Damage vs red, so if I need to get rid of a red and they have at least 2 red, this is finding its way on my teams more.

Green -
Tank/First - Krystenax (almost always now), but sometimes Gloom Leaf if I need another B/G somewhere
Famine - because
Cresendo - Rare weapon, one of my favorites
Spirit Fox - versatile, fast fill
Marilich/Desdaemona/Dragon Cruncher/Wayfinder - I usually have one of these 4 in most lineups
Manticore - when you absolutely need to stun

Yellow -
Tank/First - Gorgotha
Famine - because
Enchantress - I have been running her primarily in a Gorgotha, Enchantress, Famine Moloch lineup very effectively.
Moloch - When I need drain
Mainticore - If I need to stun
Dracos - If I need more stun, silence, drain, but generally with his slow 15 fill, I am gambling on the 25% destroy when I chose to play him. Otherwise, Manticore stuns better/faster
Faunessa - Great vs like high attack orc teams.
Lord Ironbeard - IF they have 2 red troops, he really pays off

3 Likes

I will put up my other three CotD lists later this week. Hopefully others will also.
Apparently no Guild Wars this week.

Glory Reward this week is Arcane Dark, some nice troops there. As I am a little short on time, here is a quick list: Amira, Carnex, Death, Elemaugrim, Flesh Golem, Infernus, Succubus, The Dragon Soul, Wulfgarok

2 Likes

I have a couple of non-guild wars related topics that I would like people’s opinion on.

Everyone I come up against seems to have a ton of mythics but they have been really rare for me. Is this just a case of spending money or is there a strategy to increase chances of getting a mythic?

I have also been trying to improve efficiency at soul grinding. I am currently using Celestial armour with the following setup

Dragon Soul, Warlock, Keeper of Souls, Kerberos

running at difficulty Warlord 1 (enemies die too quick on normal for DS ability). This will usually net me 295 souls an explore but matches are pretty slow. Just wondering if there is a set up out there for super fast soul grinding (I am jealous of anyone that owns Pharos-Ra).

i bought 15 Dark Stones for completing Carnex and for Death’s 2nd trait when the price was at 400 glory.
later it dropped to 300 glory! very annoying. i want my 1500 glory back!
so i bought another 15 stones while murmuring curses :rage:

i can’t confirm as i have no access to VIP chests, but i think chances for getting legendary and mythic troops are higher when opening VIP chests (very expensive: 475 gems for 10 VIP chests).

so might be a kind of “pay to get”. but if you are sure about the amount of fun GoW offers to you, it can be seen as “unlocking” the full game by a one-time purchase to reach VIP level 5.
for a FTP GoW is very fair. no timers at all, no restricted creatures. lots of awarded chests, gems and souls.
VIP status might help to get more faster though.

I have VIP access only for about 3 months now. I hold all gems until I have 2250 for VIP 50 chests, and have got no new Mythic troops from being VIIP with 150 VIP chests to date. All of my Mythics are from standard gem chests.

I think you might get that glory back by contacting support.

Try to log in every hour. Or as often as possible to get the tribute. It really adds up, especially if you have higher star kingdoms. (Double tribute chance and/or double tribute reward)
You can also aim to level up troops from a kingdom with low stars first. Now I level up troops sorted by lowest level. You can even increase only one level from your lowest level troop and move on to the next. That way you spend less souls to increase your troops level and thus increasing your kingdom stars faster.

I save up all my keys and gems besides the lowest lvl keys. When a new mythic is announced (you get a pop up in the game) the chance to get it as a reward is a bit higher, so I spend all my keys and gems then. I am lvl5 vip, so I buy vip chests with my saved up gems.

I did grind an awfull lot with Valkyria (it was the only troop with an extra soul-power back in the days)

You know you can disenchant extra troops for souls once you have more then 4 of the same troops upgraded to legendary?

1 Like

I have been doing that. I have most kingdoms to 5 stars now but I look at all those troops I still need to level up. I guess the point is that you need to do a lot of grinding so there is an incentive to spend money.

There is no great strategy to getting mythics other than opening a lot of chests : ( @Jules gave great advice about logging in each hour that you can and collecting those extra tributes. They really do add up and help towards getting more chests. You can often get the newest mythic in Event chests pretty reliably, but beyond that, it’s all just luck.

wow! very interesting insight. i had thought a legendary or mythic might be guaranteed in VIP chests :flushed:
i feel sorry for your bad luck, kennfusion, but must say the game seems less “pay to get” than i had thought.
of course you could just buy massive amounts of gems for opening lots and lots of gem or VIP chests.
“pay to win” is in every FTP.
but in GoW it doesn’t hurt so much as in many others.

i got my vip chest access a few weeks ago and in my first 50 vip chests were 2 mythics :confused:

Proof that RNGesus hates me! I am just about at 2250 gems again, we will see how I do in the next 50.

I just realized that I had a use for arcane dark traitstones after all. They can be used to trait out the deathknight hero class which seems to be one of the few viable hero classes at the moment.

Because of the Dark Channel trait on the Sorcerer, I have never used anything else and don’t see any reason to.

I hardly ever use my Hero in battles so I assumed the Hero Class Perks & Traits were irrelevant … would only apply if I was using my Hero.

I was not sure whether Gem Mastery applied even if the Hero was not being used, so I have tended to match the Hero Class to the CotD “just in case”.

I guess my question is … what, if any, aspects of the Hero’s characteristics apply in a battle if the Hero is not being used in the battle … ???

I think it only applied when you are using a hero in battle. I used to see deathknight used a bit, mainly for the deathmark to all enemies on death and the weapon which does true damage to all enemies. The recent nerf to deathmark might have made this unviable again.

Yeah, Hero traits only work when they are in battle. It just makes weapons equal to using troops, as they have both the weapon skill and the hero traits.

To aid with the CotD discussion, I set up a Google spreadsheet that anyone with the link can edit:

If you list one of the six mana colors in column B, everything in that row will automatically change to that color.

I think the list is most readable if you only put your username in once (for the first row), but if you sort the list by team color, the only way to get it back to the original order would be to “undo” your sort.

We can certainly tweak the way this is set up, but I thought this might be a good resource for info sharing, since CotD questions pop up fairly regularly in this thread.

I also considered adding a separate sheet where we can just list favored troops, their colors, and a few comments on usefulness (what position they’re best in, what they might pair well with, etc.).

1 Like