Gems of War News and Discussions

Ahhhh…I see. Thanks. I’m 3/6 for GW defense using an orc team for today’s GW. Defense results for PvP in general are a little better than normal for me using the orcs.

Just a x1 Arcane Shield this week.

The most notable that used Arcane Shield is going to be Emperor Khorvash, and if you have him and don’t have him traited, his 3rd trait is great. This is your week.

The other notable troop with that is going to be Behemoth. I just completed his 3rd trait myself this morning. On Blue and Brown days, he can certainly fill in a spot, especially since he generates and does aoe…but overall he is kind of unimpressive. I generally use him in the last spot against Kraken teams or other devour teams. Against a heavy devour setup, I often run Carnex, Stealth, Stealth, Behemoth with those stealth being some combination of like Mist Stalker, Spirit Fox, Amira, Desdaemona, Wayfinder Tyri.

While there are a few other interesting Blue/Brown troops, none that I think really need 3rd traits enough to buy at 1x. Ettin maybe because of Empowered, and I have been thinking about using empowered more, he fills fast and generates. But not a whole lot this week.

Edit: I forgot about Stonehammer, since I don’t have…but I would probably get for him if I had him. Also War probably uses some, although I don’t think he is that great, I would probably also try to trait him if I had him just for CotD stuff.

1 Like

you thought you have seen it all in GoW?
then look at this screenshot! :flushed:
it’s all about this week’s special human darkstone team.
be prepared to run into this kind of defense this week.
so ‘1000’ is definitely the upper limit for all stats.
and at last a 1000/1000/1000/1000 creature emerged.
and i thought the Anointed One would be overpowered. but then Sorceress created the Remnant.
you will need a blown up Remnant to kill this Remnant.
or devouring would be especially tasty. Archer’s lethal damage or a Deathmark will be helpful too.
btw this fight went on for 25 minutes realtime.
and was boring like hell. new creatures were created much faster than possible skull matches came up.
“some” potential in that team, but it must be pimped.
total dependance from skull damage sucks.
ok, was just a first exploration of this week’s potential…
GoW is a wonderbag. always something astonishing around the next corner.

4 Likes

Traveling with my family this week, and can see I’m not having an easy time getting time for the game–I may be sort of pointless this week. But I’ll be back next week as usual.

The counter to the Queen Ysabelle, Corrupt Sorceress setups are…Gloom Leaf! He is all, feed me more armor, attack and red gems please!

Also, my annoying human defense team this week is winning 40%, so I am happy with that. Knight Coronet, Ferit, Queen Ysabelle, Tesla.

So this week our Glory reward has 1x Arcane Forest.

The highlight for this would be Famine, if you have Famine, this is a good week to get your Arcane Forests for him.

Other notable troops that use Arcane Forest are:
Dragotaur is a staple in many dragon decks. If you play dragons a lot, this might be worth traiting up.
Goblin King - Back in the day, goblins ruled…not so much anymore. Still, he is resilient with that 2nd trait.
Ketras the Bull - If you have, might as well trait if you can.
Sylvanimora - I don’t have, but wish I did, great troop, probably the 2nd best choice for traiting this week.

Also, this is week of Maugrim Woods, so expect to see a lot of Kerberos troops, so prepare your impervious and stealthy troops for the week. Remember how this works, 40% means 20% chance for you, and 60% chance for your opponent :grinning:

4 Likes

The Wulfgarok - Fenrir combo is pretty nasty this week as well. Fenrir buffs health and attack of Wulfgarok by 60 each time so it can spiral out of control pretty quickly.

1 Like

I can confirm the awesomeness of Sylvanimora. The third trait (Dragon Vines) is sneaky-good–entangle the first enemy, and you can give up all the skull matches you want while you concentrate on filling your troops’ mana.

Happy to get my second trait on Ketras too …

1 Like

This is your soon-to-be-ex-Paragon speaking and I am here in case you are wondering why my score is low for 4 victories. Although - why would you? Better things to do right? Anyhoo …

I managed to field a red team today. I had a blue class in force to match the day - but still managed to field that red team. I like my blue team a whole lot better than than my red team … but now I won’t get to play them in this war. Unless I get my colours confused again.

Meanwhile 5 victories (already) by so many of the guild - strength in depth - Holsten Knight, Farm Dog Cody, Knight Rider 24, kennfusion, Diane +:), Sasha, Malinda.

At least my defence team is currently at 4 wins and 4 defeats.

3 Likes

I think I have played the wrong CotD a couple times myself in the past. It’s all good.

I actually feel the opposite about my blue/red teams, which leads me to ask everyone, out of curiosity: what are your favorite/least favorite CotD teams?

I like my yellow and red teams, but I think my current favorite is brown: Gorgotha***/Ketras**/Drake Rider***/Soothsayer***.

As for least favorite, I struggle with blue and sometimes purple, but green’s been the worst recently. I’ve got two teams that run a little too slowly for my liking: Sylvanimora***/Forest Guardian**/Ketras**/Spirit Fox*** or Fenrir***/Forest Guardian**/Soothsayer***/Wulfgarok*. Hopefully Arcane Light traitstones show up in a pack soon–getting the 2nd trait on Forest Guardian would go a long way toward making these teams more effective.

2 Likes

confessing fumbles day :innocent:

i suffered a “battery down” defeat today. just in the moment i was about to win.

Curious as well. I’m still trying to piece together solid CotD teams. Need to collect more traitstones. I’ve been using Krystenax***/Dragon Soul*/Sylvanimora***/Dracos 1337* as my main team. I’ve been swapping out 1-2 troops to make a decent CotD team. Blue and Red Day’s are a little better for me. Also trying other combos with some other troops I have, but all have been pretty clunky and slow.

@geigerm My green team is Sylvanimora*** | Dark Maiden*** | Krystenax*** | Spirit Fox***. I don;t have Wulfgarok.

As you said, Sylvanimora’s third trait to Entangle the first enemy is lovely. Krystenax can fill an empty troop space which is handy … and Enchant sometimes gices a surprisingly beneficial edge. Dark Maiden uses up the yellow gems that Spirit Fox could use so that is a slight pity…

Today I came up against a dragon team of Celestasia | Krystenax | The Dragon Soul | Sylvanimora that looked good … but I beat it so maybe not. I used Gorgotha*** | Green Seer*** | Moloch*** | Famine***. I had started out with Paladin in last place … consistent damage whereas Famine depends on well charged enemies for full effect … but if Paladin gets armour damage (from, say, “hit the whole team” troops like Sylvanimora & Krystenax) then its effectiveness is much reduced.

All in all … the game is keeping us engaged …

For this week at least my favourite colour of the day team is green

Wulfgarok, Wulfgarok, Forest Guardian, Fenrir

One trigger of Fenrir is usually enough to guarantee a win.

Does Impervious defend against Aspect of Famine and Tentacles? Multiple Famines*** and Krakens*** have been decimating my teams. I have 1 Impervious troop (Manticore) and it’s only Epic level right now.

Impervious does not help against those unfortunately

1 Like

traveling this week, so will be playing, but intermittently. Actually I think yesterday was the first time I have not played my 5 GW battles, and this morning was the first time I saw what happens when you play catch up. I actually did not know if you had to play the makeup games in the previous CotD or that days until this morning.

Of the 8 battles I just played, 6 had at least 1 devour troop. Of those 6, I played full impervious teams (so not CotD, I generally go Carnax, Dracos, Plague, Behemoth) against 4 of them. I won all 4 of those. Of the 2 that I thought I could get away without full impervious, there were 3 devour attempts, and all 3 were successful. So I now revise previous statements and believe that 40% actually means 80% for your opponent, and 0% for you.

@Diane For Kraken, you really just need one troop with impervious in the last spot. If you have Behemoth, I highly recommend grinding him up. The combination of impervious and gain life on 4 or 5 match means that is just could care less what Krakens do. Not to mention he does decent enough aoe damage and a little bit of a fill.

For Aspect of Famine, you generally want something in the first spot that can regenerate either life or armor regularly. AoF gets spread between life, armor, magic and attack. So as long as something is regenerating or you have some other way to regenerate, you can withstand it. Death bothers me more than Famine as his life drain of 2 per turn can go quickly. But even for him, I tend to focus on just killing him first. So this morning against Pison, Famine, Death, Famine, I went off CotD and brought in Amira, focused on filling her first and was able to one-shot Death out on my third turn.

2 Likes

Thanks to you both. No Behemoth, but will see what I can do for a life/armor generator.

Good stuff @kennfusion.

I have been sticking to a CotD team - which meant I lost one of my two matches against the Psion | Famine | Death | Famine team. The loss was an exciting game … but it was a loss (he said wisely). As @Debris pointed out up the thread - 4 wins with a CotD team is fewer points than 5 wins with an off-piste team, but I keep doing the “hope over experience” thing and going all CotD.

I need to spend a little time to work up some sort of “my favourite troops” gazetteer. There are good all troop references on the web but I need one for the troops that I have developed (and that I like using).

1 Like