Gems of War News and Discussions

Yup, I’ll be one step closer to traiting out Plague after this week. Still need Arcane Venom stones to get the second trait, let alone the third.

Anyone know how many traitstones are required for the third trait on a true Mythic like Plague? I want to make sure I buy and save as many Swamp stones as I’ll need.

EDIT: Never mind–I have 2 traits on Death and used him as a reference. In case you’re interested, the third trait costs 12 of each type of Arcane traitstone plus 4 Celestial stones.

3rd Trait is 12 Arcane Swamp, 12 Arcane Venom, 4 Celestial

I finished his 2nd trait this morning, meaning I now have him available as Impervious. Even without the 3rd trait, having an additional Impervious troop for Blue, Green and Purple days is nice. I also picked up enough extra Arcane Swamp for his 3rd trait to save. But I have 0 Arcane Venom. So I will be waiting on that.

I know you figured this out, but just to follow up on this what I do is I look at http://ashtender.com/gems/troops, then click on the troop’s trait that I’m interested in to get a little pop-up window showing what’s needed, as well as the areas to farm for them.

4 Likes

@Falkenstein That page is awesome–thanks!

I’m going to beg for a little more help before tomorrow: what are you using for blue teams? My blue teams really stink right now. I’ve played with a bunch of combos and could use some help.

Blue is difficult because for Impervious you really only Behemoth and Plague (I only got that trait for Plague today too).

If you need to stun for like Famine, unless you have Stonehammer (which I don’t) you need Emperor Korvash with his third trait (because Famine will almost always be in the 3rd or 4th slot.)

If you don’t have those guys, then you need to be about speed (low cost spells), true damage and mana drain. Morthani’s Will is great in the first spot. Astral Spirit is a great troop (and has a double bonus this week). If they have something deadly in the last spot, Dragonian Rogue is great as he hits the last spot and destroyed gems help fill the team. If you need the Dragonian Rogue though, than you probably need Knight Coronet up front, so Astral Spirit also has to come out.

I personally plan to start with Morthani’s Will, Astral Spirit, Crimson Bat, Queen Ysabelle as a base. Will adjust from there.

All of these posts listing good teams have been very helpful–thanks : )

I have a random question: like many other people in the guild, I went 5-0 today, but when I look at my points on the results page in the guild, I have far fewer than most anyone else with that record today. Why is that?

@biffpow

You get 1500 points for beating all 5 opponents with a % bonus per battle for each of your troops used that matched the “colour of the day” (see Schedule tab) plus something for each troop that survives. I guess that those with higher scores on day 1 used more blue troops that you did …

1 Like

when using only troops with the “Color of the Day”, and when all your creatures survive in all 5 battles of the day, then you will get the absolute maximum of 6216 pts (for today’s GW. will keep rising a bit because we keep upgrading our guild statues for more bonus %).

but for trying that you need a vast library of many full traited and upleveled strong creatures.
going 5-0 vs the strong defense teams we are runnning into when ascending to higher and higher brackets is an amazing achievement anyway, no matter if CotD team or not :+1:

1 Like

I just noticed that Kerberos devour chance has been reduced to 40 percent which is a fairly significant downgrade. Good news for those sick of devour.

2 Likes

Yeah, they also modified Kerberos to only create a Warg 50% of the time if you’ve got the Gate Guardian trait. Pretty significant nerf.

My favorite recent balance change was the change to Ketras, which I just pulled–it now deals half damage to adjacent enemies of its target. That makes it significantly better–fire off that troop two or three times and the match is all but over, especially if it’s buffed up a bit. I’ve had some fun with Gorgotha*/Ketras*/Soothsayer***/Sunweaver*.

1 Like

General Spell Effect Changes
* Death Mark will now no longer activate on the first turn
* Barrier now blocks devour

I actually used Celestasia against Knight Coronet today, but I realize now I could have used her for devour also. And now I want to get that 3rd trait for Jotnar Stormshield.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement! And for explaining why the points have been so low for me. I usually don’t change up my teams each day, as I have one that I like and that has a good win ratio. But perhaps I should experiment a little. Do you receive bonus points for each troop of the day’s color, or only if all troops on your team are that day’s color?

Lastly, do people find that buying the bonus stats each week makes a big difference for their teams? I have not done that but have noticed that a lot of other people in our guild do, so I was curious.

@biffpow

You get the bonus individually for each troop that is the “colour of the day (CotD)”. As Debris pointed out, winning all 4 matches with 3 CotD troops is better than winning 3 matches with 4 CotD troops … so adding just one CotD troop helps.

I have been buying one level of each Sentinel bonus each week (when I remember) because I can afford it and it is relatively cheap. Sometimes the extra point can make all the difference, but in general I cannot say whether it is worth doing. By observation I am not prepared to pay for the second level of any bonus!

1 Like

with just 2 CotD troops you can double your total points.
so it’s definitely worth it.

but if you feel comfortable and confident with your team i would stick to it.
having fun in the GW battles is more important than points in the long run.
because motivation will stay higher that way.
and who knows? one day a fitting substitute might come along.

1 Like

I lost a troop in the first 4 battles today, they were tough. The final battle was all yellow though, so I just built a team around Desdaemona, and she was able to one-shot 3/4 of their troops. I don’t even have traits on her. I just ran her with Carnex and Lava Elemental to use explode to fill her and had Moloch in the back as a failsafe.

1 Like

Nice going. I actually have Desdaemona which makes a nice change, but would have been lucky (because lazy) to find her. As it was I lost a troop in each of the last two battles … much better than I did yesterday .I braved that 4 yellow Paragon team with yellow generator Alchemist on my team … perhaps foolish but it worked.

Our (your) guild is advancing up the ranking and that’s great - but of course we meet better defences.

2 Likes

@kennfusion I love that a tough day for you is, “I lost a troop.” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I went 3-2 on Tuesday–that was a tough day for me.

I’m pretty happy with my red team for today in general (Jarl***/Goblin Rocket***/Wulfgarok*/Death**), although I might look for a troop to replace Death that can help me get going sooner if the board isn’t red-friendly. Once Jarl and Goblin Rocket start firing, it’s usually smooth sailing.

Only played 1 so far today, though, so hopefully I still feel the same at the end of the day!

1 Like

I did actually use Jarl today against a Kraken team where I needed Carnex in the 4th spot. I like goblin rocket a lot but not as much as I like Molloch. I think I ran Jarl, crimson bat, moloch, carnex against the Kraken team.

1 Like

I’d probably like Moloch more if I had more than just the first trait on him.

I like that Goblin Rocket guarantees an extra turn–I’m all about board control. With this team, I often ignore potential 4- or 5-gem red/yellow matches if Jarl’s mana is full to increase the chance that his power earns an extra turn.

Lost only a single troop today–Famine one-shotted my Wulfgarok in the third match despite Wulfgarok already having devoured one enemy. Can’t complain about that result!

2 Likes

That third trait on Kraken is great. I tried out a team of

Gorgotha, Kraken, Kraken, Giant Spider

which does 6 damage to all enemy troops on 4 or 5 gem matches. Devour is usually not even necessary. The synergy between Kraken and Giant spider also works really well as each charges up the other.

1 Like