Gems of War News and Discussions

Thanks. Will see what I can put together with what I have. Like geigerm, I still need the better troops and lots of traitstones.

Explode being my favorite mechanic in the game, I went almost all out BOOM today. Carnex, Lava Elemental, Crimson Bat, Goblin Rocket. Essentially just keep blowing up the board and filling Crimson Bat that way. Lava Elemental can pack a big punch if you can blow a few reds with it, and Goblin Rocket is a nice way to clear barriers from a Forest Guardian. But mostly, I just kept trying to blow up blue gems for the Bat. I did lose some troops though today.

1 Like

That looks like a great team! For my default Red team I’ve been using Jarl Firemantle, Moloch, Crimson Bat, and then either Mist Stalker or Amira (if the opponent is heavy Blue) in that last slot. I like that Jarl does a good job refilling himself and Moloch with his “Create 9 Red and 9 Yellow Gems”.

Basically I was working on a True Damage team, and I love Moloch’s mana drain. :sunglasses:

I do love Carnex (red/purple) now that I’ve recently got him fully traited, I can see working him in instead of red/purple Mist Stalker/Amira, while I like their True Damage but they don’t fire that often sitting in the bottom with Jarl changing gems to Red & Yellow. I don’t know if I would want to swap in Lava Elemental (red/brown) for Jarl Firemantle (red/brown), I really do enjoy his contribution.

@kennfusion: Hi, I logged into play today and discovered I’ve been booted from the guild. I’ve been in the guild for quite some time and thought I was complying with all the rules: I contribute gold, I play Guild Wars pretty much every day. Was I removed by mistake, or is there another requirement I’m missing? I appreciate any info you can share so I can understand. I play Gems almost every day and I really enjoyed being part of the guild.

Thanks,
Cyrddin

@cyrddin - Sorry, but no mistake. You had not contributed gold in two weeks. Perhaps it slipped your mind recently? You have been sitting at a total of 5,150,966 for two weeks now. If I know the person has an account on here, I check with them first, but I think until now you did not have an account on here. You are of course welcome to rejoin.

Thanks for the reply; that is correct. As I had only one kingdom at 10 (I had previously just been donating my extra gold to the guild), I took a break from donating to raise a few of the kingdoms. From guild chat, I had thought this was an acceptable practice; sorry for my confusion. I’ll get back to donating next week and would like to rejoin. Thanks again!

@Cyrddin - Sorry about that. Yes, while we do want people to focus on getting all kingdoms to 10, we have also always tried to stress that you should donate something at least each week. Partly to show you are active, but also, because some people are donating a lot every week and it is just polite.

Sounds good. Thanks for re-inviting me. I’ll be sure to donate each week.

1 Like

ouch, just lost a battle, that was a bitter one. He had Great Maw, Berserker, Famine, Mercy. I tried GloomLeaf, Spirit Fox, Queen Ysabelle and Manticore. My goal was to Spirit Fox the Mercy right off, but that was actually a mistake, as it takes all yellow off the board, and then I cannot power Manticore quickly to shut down Famine’s 3rd trait. So then I had to try to chase yellow, and he had an amazing turn where he was able to power up Famine by turn 3 and burn all my mana as my team was all about 75%. He took out Manticore, and that was about game for me.

The question about my high score from KnightRider24, if you play the Color of the Day (CotD) in all 4 spots and win all of your battles, its about 6k points I think for the day. You might not be playing CotD teams.

For that final battle for purple yesterday I played Carnex***, Morthani’s Will***, Spirit Fox***, Kerberos*** So only one was impervious in that battle, but the idea was to just drain mana with Morthani’s Will and Spirit Fox as they fill so fast, and Carnex helps fill them quickly.

Also for Green, my main team is GloomLeaf**, Spirit Fox***, Queen Ysabelle*, Famine**. As you can see, only Spirit Fox is fully traited, but this team does not need it. Although I have been grinding Drifting Sands to finish Famine’s 3rd trait, only 7 more Arcane Mountain’s to go! But essentially, if you can get Gloom Leaf off early and then the Queen on him once quickly also, he will take out most troops at that point on skull damage.

There is also a small points bonus for not losing any troops in a battle.

@Debris A while back (April 27) you mentioned sticking with a 3 CotD team for Red … which is something that I am still doing.

… but now … a blatant attempt to benefit from other people’s hard work …

Did you - or anybody else for that matter - develop a good 4 Red team since then?

I have been running Carnex***, Lava Elemental***, Crimson Bat***, Goblin Rocket*** as a core Red team. If I have to have mana drain against someone, Moloch goes in for Goblin Rocket. If they are running 2 blue team like Khorvash, Queen Mab, then Lava Elemental moves up to the tank position and Amira takes up that 2nd spot. If I desperately think I need a 2nd mana drain, than Succubus sits in the 2nd spot behind Lava Elemental.

Thank you @kennfusion.

I don’t have your first three fully traited up which is no doubt part of my problem with a good all Red team. However, I do have Succubus & Moloch at full potential so I will get some tinkering done …

1 Like

What are you guys running for defense teams? I was running a Knight Coronet team for a while that became steadily less successful, then switched to a dragon team that’s fun to play but still mediocre on D. Any tips?

@robthomasson I made that post when guild wars was very new and at the time I was unable to come up with a reliable 4 red team. It is still the case that you are better off winning 5 with a 3 red team rather than 4 with a 4 red team.

Saying that I have found a 4 red team which I have been using whilst banned from posting here

Jarl, The Dragon Soul, Moloch, Wulfgarok

Wulfgarok is not really key to this and could be replaced with a lot of other troops like crimson bat, dark monolith, maralith, another moloch, sir gwayne, etc. I like the combination of the first 3 as there is a lot of gem generation for Moloch and Moloch is great for preventing the other team from getting off abilities.

All my troops are fully traited and level 20 so that is probably helping.

Thank you … I must trait up Jarl. In the end I went with … Succubus, Dark Maiden, Crimson Bat, Lava Elemental.

Succubus and Dark Maiden fill up quickly so the idea is for the Maiden to keep Succubus alive to drain the enemy, and maybe get a Death Mark kill, whilst the Bat & Elemental get charged along the way to do some damage.

But it was all rather irrelevant. In the third match I killed the first enemy which put a Death Mark on all my troops … which eventually killed them all. None of them ever shrugged off the curse. I had actually managed to kill his next two troops (Famine & Death) but the march of the mark of death was not to be mollified. The next two battles were fine.

Good question on the Defense Teams, because mine apparently suck. I have only defended successfully in Guild Wars like 8 times this week, so quite low. I have been changing it up a lot, last night I tried switching to Carnex, Kerberos, Astral Spirit, Spirit Fox…but I just woke up to 11 losses. So I guess try something else.

@Debris I like your team, but I don’t have The Dragon Soul or Wolfgarok. But the Jarl/Moloch pairing is really nice, so just tried it against a Double Kraken team with Carnex in the 4th spot with Impervious and Crimson Bat. Worked well. I do wish I could get a Dragon Soul though.

also, I really should not have tried a 4 red team against Famine Famine Death

I am contemplating trying

Jarl, Carnex, Wulfgarok, Wulfgarok

just to avoid the deathmarks/devours which have become so prominent.

For Red offense, as my default I usually run Carnex***, Jarl Firemantle***, Moloch***, Crimson Bat***. I enjoy running it, but if I need more mana drain or more Impervious for anti-Devour, I back off the Red “requirement”.

For my Defense, I’ve currently got Carnex***, Giant Spider***, Forest Guardian***, Kerberos***. I’m as happy with it as I am with about any team I’ve put to defend, but am always looking for better options. :slight_smile:

The Anthea Pack in Glory Rewards this week includes 2x Arcane Swamp. There are a buch of good Blue/Green troops that need this. Giant Spider, Plague, Green Slime, Mercy, Queen Ysabelle and Webspinner,

3 Likes