[FINAL RESULTS] SP Race for the Galaxy Three-Man Challenge

How do you guys skip turns?

Take an action that you canā€™t do (like Develop when you donā€™t have any developments)

Or just press pass in error.
Happens me all the time especially on iPhone, costed me a lot of games.

Woot, I didnā€™t realize it was over already!!!

Round 6 result, GG guys!

What? Itā€™s over. I was just about to come from behind.

Great game! Congratulations SleepingGiant.

At the start of final turn I had 2 developments that would have been 7-9 points each and enough cards to use them and our scores were basically all tied, but also just drew improved logistics so I had to think hard about taking the risk to just end it before you may well have caught up.

I also got quite lucky to start with 2 military and trade league and a bunch of cheap planets that fit well with the goals, so Iā€™m chalking this one up to luck over skill :slight_smile:

Updated standings, Round 7 matchups coming soon ā€¦ but, first: playoffs!

Three-Man Challenge playoffs format

Qualifiers: Top eight finishers after eight rounds

Format: A series of four, single-elimination three-man RftG games

Matchups: Places 6, 7, and 8 will meet in the only Quarterfinals game. The winner will advance to Semifinal A.

Semifinal A: Places 4, 5 and the Quarterfinals winner. The winner will advance to the Grand Final.

Semifinal B: Places 1, 2, and 3. The top two finishers will advance to the Grand Final.

For those who care about theory (and this is optional reading), I like uncentered playoffs format like this, for two reasons: first, the plan here rewards regular-season performance. Two of our top three finishers are guaranteed a spot in the finals.

Second, it offers some hope for the mid-table. After all, an eighth-place finish could lead to a spot in the finals. But the road will be a long, difficult one.

TL; DR: Finish in the top eight.

4 Likes

Work is just all up in my grille ā€¦

Thus: Round 7 matchups coming Monday.

Hereā€™s your standings after six rounds, along with your color-coded seventh-round matchup. This is the second of our three Swiss-based rounds.

The top player in each grouping should send make the table and send invites: @SleepingGiant, @Snotty128, @JammaTal, @JaneHatke, @geigerm

See above post for playoffs protocols.

Woohoo! Second to last!!!

Almost achieved my goalā€¦

1 Like

Jason1002 57
@TheDukester 43
@JammaTal 29

Good game. I had the brown and blue planets goal, and I shipped a lot at X 2 . I played a 6 cost dev that earned me 10 pts at the end, for all my windfall worlds. I knew my opponents would choose develop at the end so I didnā€™t choose it.

Bah!

I mean ā€¦ good game.

Iā€™m going to miss the playoffs of my own event. I think drinking is the only answer.

1 Like

must have been a hard one for you, Duke.
you had a great start with military combos, jumping to an impressive lead.
but then jasonā€™s consume train built up steam power, closing in from behind and speeding over you in the very last turn :hushed:

Great game guys!!!
Last turn was tense!!!

Great win, @Pitta!

hardco 48
@Baelnor 40
@SleepingGiant 28

(My screencap is on another device, so the scores may be wrong)

Baelnor and I got early economies going, with me selling alien goods, him using double consume with some high card draw consume abilities. SleepingGiant couldnā€™t do much when we were drawing tons of cards. I got the Terraforming 6-development, and rode that with the double explore development to scoop up the Rebel worlds goal on the last turn. Good game all!

Well done and super fast paced!

I only realised halfway through the final turn that the correct play for me was to dig for a military world with scout, and not double consume. Still probably an impossible task!

Great game!

Shall we do it again? :wink:

Finished the second group game. The results:

KYakerDude 38
@Snotty128 37
@Zebracadabra 17

It was very close, I eked out the win by choosing double points in the hope that someone would let me play a production world. Great game.