1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

Ok Mr Rick. A new game is live :blush:

1 Like

The British are horrified by the events in Bostonā€¦

They quickly send a force of Regulars and Hessians into New York to reinforce and then promptly launch an attack into Connecticut where Benedict Arnold rears his head and brings his army over to the right side.

The rebels have 5 dice and roll command decisions on all of them. One Loyalist flees but the Hessians once again demonstrate their prowess by hitting twice along with a Regular.

2nd round, the militia flees but the Continental Army units take out two troops. One Hessian flees but two more hits are gained. 3rd round, the final remaining Continental unit takes out the last Hessian before succumbing to enemy fire.

The Hessians finally stop eating in Delaware and help launch an invasion of Maryland.

Patriot forces take out one British Regular before extremely accurate fire from the Hessians and Loyalists (the remaining Regulars forgot their gunpowder) take out the remaining rebels. Maryland is under Crown control again!

Plus a little reinforcing in Canada.

The the Loyalists start!

Heavy reinforcement in Canada for an attack to end this rebellion (2 truce cards in a row) before realizing that they forgot to tie up their horses and all of them ran away (didnā€™t realize it was only a 1 Move truce card)

But they all still launch a major attack to disrupt rebel control of New Hampshire and possibly pull the game out.

John Butler comes to teach everybody how to shoot before actually charging into battle, letting me roll dice in all battles before the battle begins and only resolving hits.

Which results in only one hit.

Continentals hit twice, knocking out two regulars. Then two Loyalist units flee but the Regulars wipe out the remaining Continentals.

Hopefully they can stand up to the onslaught before game endā€¦bring it on. :slight_smile:

Edit: And I just realized I really should slim this play-by-play down. LOL

1 Like

Enlivened by the Crownā€™s attempt to crush freedom, the rebels respond in kind. With the Patriotsā€™ truce card, the Indians in NC are brought into the fold of freedom, bringing that state over to the side of liberty. The last Loyalists are kicked out of Virginia (in fact, some of them join the side of freedom, courtesy of Betsy Ross, bless her), and the Army of Maine clears the north of that colony, where the defenders join the side of freedom (Betsy, again).

In the Continental turn, the French finally arrive in Rhode Island. The Continentals also play their truce card. The French reclaim western Connecticut, for libertƩ, and New Hampshire is liberated. A lone Continental recruits the last Indians of Virginia, side of freedom etc, and the Maine army attacks into Quebec.

ā€“

Bold move playing both truce cards :wink: 9-4 at the moment with the British last move to comeā€¦

Thatā€™s called ā€œIā€™ve played this game once and didnā€™t realize how things workedā€ strategy.

Bold move, Colin, lets see if it works for them.

Incidentally, I donā€™t have an email stating itā€™s my turn, but I just logged in and it says it is.

Glad weā€™re doing these AARs.

Iā€™ll take my turn when I have time.

Thatā€™s a bonus for the AAR, as a backstop for Hexwarā€™s quality notification system :wink:

In the first game with @js619, I also unwittingly ended the game by playing both truce cards, so wholly with you on that mechanicā€¦

Actually, it wasnā€™t unwitting.

What it was instead was not realizing that you would get two more turns before the game ended (and me one). I guess I missed that the turn had changed (which is stupid because both of my turns were for the same side, if I remember right!)

I thought I was doing a wonderful coup de grace and when I hit done, was expecting it to congratulate me on my victoryā€¦:disappointed_relieved:

Ah. Ok. :blush: Another game?

Speaking of which, @js619, I think youā€™re up in our game, unless MP has thrown a fit againā€¦

Sure, if you want to start one, Iā€™ll join it after Iā€™ve done my turn and get the loss.

Yes, sorry, havenā€™t had a chance to get to it. Tonight or tomorrow, certainly.

Andā€¦ after placing reinforcements, the Regulars have a go at sailing the seas. An attack from Halifax overwhelms the defenders in south jersey easily, leaving the great state of NJ under royal command. The loyalists merely reinforce in NY and recruit natives scattered throughout the north.

The British manage to disrupt control of Maine and Virginia, but not enough.

Americans win 7-4

Edit: Looks like somebody joined your game, or it expired. Sorry it took me so long.

Ah, New Jersey. Its loss wounds us deeply. To make for it, the rebel militias free Georgia and South Carolina, ok, with the help of some Continentals. The Continentals in their turn reinforce and, er recruit some Indians. The map is perfectly balanced.

No worries. Created a new one. Your turn to cast off the shackles of monarchy :blush:

Joined the game. Looks like itā€™s your turn to start.

And everything deployed. Northern New Hampshire is the place to be.

The Regulars have an uneventful turn, mostly the fault of unhelpful movement cards. They reinforce NJ and sail up to assist the garrison in Maine, choosing to allow the rebels their illusion of safety in the south.

The militia reinforced Connecticut and Rhode Island, and then took control of North Carolina. Alas, the accompanying Continental army fled, damn them, making the whole thing tenuous at best.

The loyalists decide to get in the gameā€¦ I feel a bit conflicted playing the British on the July 4th weekend, but not conflicted enough to keep Maine out of my royal hands. The loyalists attacked 5 on 2, and barely eked out a victory with 1 lone yellow cube left standing. The board is even again with the north starting to turn a nice shade of blushā€¦

Alarmed by the encroaching peach tide, the Continentals ā€¦ donā€™t do very much. Reinforcements are dumped into Connecticut and Rhode Island, and a couple of pockets of Loyalists are chased out of Virginia. A couple of the Continentals run away in the process, of course.

Same for the Regularsā€¦ the Hessians arrive into Nova Scotia, and eager to join the frayā€¦ move two spaces into Nova Scotia, where they hope their mere presence will instill fear in the rebels until a better movement card arrives.

ā€“

Gameplay question - if the Hessians and one regular attacked somewhere, and the regular died during the battle, would the Hessians then be unable to move as thereā€™d be no active army with them?

Good question, and I guess not. Just like the French and Indian units. They need locals to lead them into battle. :smirk: