1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

The continentals reinforce into Connecticut and RI, and then, faced with poor movement cards, recruit natives in NY and VA.

The patriots have an uneventful turn as well, recruiting natives in Georgia and capturing Norfolk, although a hasty retreat by a loyalist into unoccupied northern VA prevents the liberation of the entire state.

Is it confusing for you to have two games in one thread, @SpiceTheCat? We could start a second one if needed.

And I thought I’d prevent you wholeheartedly rolling over the north with that Army… now I just have to remember they’re there!

The brave British nationals stand their ground in Boston while the loyalists flee!

Of the four British regular reinforcements, three go into Nova Scotia and then a bunch (that’s the formal term, right?) of Regulars and Loyalists move to reinforce the beleaguered unit in Boston.

Not much else they can do.

And back to you, @SpiceTheCat

New Jersey returns to the Crown. The Regulars land in Delaware and contingents from there and New York march in. Some minor casualties, nothing too grim, and a couple of command decisions allow the north of the colony to be reinforced.

Happy to keep both AARs in one thread, providing it’s not too confusing for everyone.

1 Like

So many militia reinforcements! And, uh, so many units in Boston. A whole bunch, in fact.

The rebels instead deploy the famous Whackamole Strategy, capturing Maryland, chasing the one loyalist out of Mane, and recruiting some natives. Can the British wield the mallet?

Sensing an incursion with natives into New York, Loyalist troops and a regular army detachment move to recruit the other band and shore up support there.

And an army moves from Quebec to an open spot in Maine to make sure they know who really is the boss of them.

So far, I’ve been saving a lot of ammunition in this war…

The sudden and fortuitous arrival of six French into RI, coupled with 6 continentals, allowed an attack into Boston and secured Massachusetts for the powers of good. It might be a Pyrrhic victory though, as the dice gods wielded their anger tower once again. I fully anticipate an attack from NH…

Geo. Washington esq., not being a morning person, looks at the map and decides that the north is too complicated before the second coffee of the day. Hence, militia reinforcements are generally deployed across the north but don’t go anywhere. Savannah is captured to give an impression of activity before lunchtime, in case anyone checks.

A lot - I mean a lot, these guys have clearly been running away with enthusiasm - of militia reinforcements arrive in NH. As expected, they swamp Boston. The defenders roll 3 hits from 3, but the shambling hordes sweep them away. Au revoir, mes Violets.

Deciding to leave Boston to think about what it’s done for now, the patriots sweep out the last bastion of loyalists from Virginia; however, it appears that a tribe of natives needs some convincing before the colony will fully accept its liberation.

The continentals benefit from the timely arrival of three Frenchmen in Savannah, allowing reinforcements in the north to make a run on northern NJ. Against 4 defenders, my 8 attackers fall in two rounds. First roll, four hits. Out of four. I rolled one hit and a flee, and the defenders mopped it up with three hits. Out of three. The dice really, really, really, hated me this time.

I fared better in Savannah, with the loyalists being the loyalists and fleeing on the first roll. At least I have a southern bastion for the first time this go around.

That’s an especially bad roll.:scream: I’d be reasonable confident with 2:1 odds.

In my turns, the regulars reinforced Halifax and then a 1-warship card shipped everyone down to Maine to deal with the encircled rebels. Hessians also arrived in New York but didn’t do anything interesting. The militia reinforced NH and NJ, and a army strolled up to northern (western? Map north is 90°ish to compasss north, I guess) Pennsylvania to recruit some Indians and establish a presence in a “nice border you have there, be a shame if anyone was crossed it” way.

As would I. Some losses are acceptable, but 100%? With 2-1 odds? No thank you, dice.

An infusion of British regulars and a tribe of natives emboldens the forces in Delaware to move into Maryland and disrupt the filthy Americans’ control.

Rebels roll two hits out of three which is a horrible start to the invasion (though the one who misses actually runs, which is good) , but British regular sharpshooters take out the remaining soldiers and gain a foothold

In the north, a little rearrangement of forces in Canada. Who knows what they may be doing? Newsletters say they’re just sightseeing…It’s beautiful this time of year.

Ah- it’s still showing as your turn when I log in. Have you encountered the hilarious bug where it forgets your move?

Apparently I did! sigh

Same basic result, though one patriot fled from Maryland rather than getting killed.

And I did the same moves in Canada as I did the first time.

looks doubtfully at Canada

Hm, well, the north still looks awfully complicated. We reinforce New Hampshire, and with a move-1-army card liberate South Carolina instead. So, what are the proto-Canadians up to?

The Loyalists ate their Wheaties this morning, so they’re able to use a 1-movement card to go 3 spaces. Sadly, this is only used to reinforce an attack into northern New Hampshire.

Defenders roll three hits to start with. Not a good start. The remaining two units hightail it back north as they forgot to bring their good dice tower.

Further, Loyalists and Regulars advance to take total control of New Jersey.

Both American units flee like the cowards they are, not even requiring a dice roll on my part (which is a good thing, as I think the British army bought their dice towers in bulk.

New Jersey is returned to the crown!

Then, a rare double turn for the Loyalists. Hessians arrive in Delaware!

And then sit there eating our food as an attack into western New York takes place instead.

A heavily armed troop along with three native units invade. All of the natives on both sides look at each other and wonder what the heck they’re doing, then wander off, leaving the two patriot militia alone. One flees but the other one takes out a Loyalist unit.

The other 5 troops (3 Loyalist and 2 British regulars) manage one hit between them (and one Loyalist flees), but that manages to take the area as there is only one unit left.

Victory is sweet!

If a little muted.

The patriots managed to take South Carolina and Virginia, shockingly winning a battle in SC. Their turn was followed by the continentals, who nearly took NC but for a fortunate command decision roll by the loyalists, allowing them to escape to another county.

I’d like to be more effusive in this one but the heirs to my fortune are about to kill each other in the other room…

The Great Battle of Boston

The Patriots, aware that the commanders had plans for this season, had a quiet campaign. Norfolk was reduced, albeit without gaining control of the colony, and a large group of units assembled in New Hampshire. There, they were joined by the Continental reinforcements and a huge contingent of Indians under Joseph Brandt. The sole target of this huge army was the Loyalist fortress of Boston.

The defenders were well prepared. In the initial assault, every defender hit, the bulk of the casualties being borne by the Indians. The second assault was almost as costly for the attackers, many militia being lost and others fleeing the field of slaughter. Despite the vigorous defence, however, casualties among the forces in the city now meant that not every stretch of the wall could be defended. Two further assaults culminated in a gallant but ultimately futile last stand by the remaining Redcoats. Whether the city was worth the butcher’s bill incurred remains to be seen.

The Joseph Brandt card meant I could dump 8 Indian units on the board, so this seemed too good a chance to pass up :blush: 17 units went in against the 7 Boston defenders and I have 5 left… The defenders rolled 4 hits and then 3 hits, so it looked like it was all going js619 at that point. I think that’s the biggest battle I’ve yet had in terms of pure numbers deployed and units being taken off the board.

Taking advantage of the distracted rebel commanders, the British and Loyalists whip out their truce cards and end the rebellion. New York is cleared first, and and the first county in Maryland. The victorious troops push on, recapturing Maryland and crushing the last pocket of resistance in Pennsylvania. The birthplace of the revolution has remained untouched by war, but all around the map is a pleasing orangey-pink colour. (9-5)

Early truce cards and 10 militia reinforcements, plus all the Hessians on the board, did play into my hands. There were some fairly dire defender rolls but the attacker ratio was overwhelming anyway. I think that a human making the CD decisions would have chosen differently- there were a couple of Continentals I’d have saved to fight another day, and at least one chance to move into an annoying space to deny a colony.

Ugh, both truce cards at once? That’s an untimely development… play it again, Sam…