1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

Well, darn, the British appear to be made of sterner stuff than hoped. The Continentals contented themselves with reinforcing the north. The Patriots were more immediately useful, taking South Carolina and clearing Loyalists out of North Carolina, and recruiting natives in Virginia. We gloss over the NC battle where the Patriots all fled on their first roll (3 from 3).

The militia are good for that, Iā€™ve noticed. Pretty much a given that most of them will flee a battle.

The loyalists received two turns in a row, choosing to reinforce with their first turn (mostly because the 1 space movement card didnā€™t allow for much else). On their second turn, a small skiff enabled a raiding party to slip in and capture northern NJ, but was uneventful otherwise.

The Regulars made life decidedlyā€¦ uncomfortableā€¦ for the rebels by using a man oā€™ war to sail up the Chesapeake and capture the last holdout in Maryland. They also slipped down the coast to lightly defended Georgia and, seeing all the finery that Savannah had to offer, easily routed the small force there to establish a southern stronghold.

So, Georgia appears to be the wrong shade on the map. Thatā€™s disconcerting.

The rebels take to their boats. A mixed force of militia and Frenchmen land in Maryland, and then Delaware receives an unexpected delivery of freedom. Itā€™s even gift wrapped, but the defenders are not appreciative.

I laughed aloud at that! :grinning: Thatā€™s the reason I deal with Hexwarā€™s awful MP, and it honestly almost makes me glad for the atrocity that is the multiplayer.

Speaking of atrocitiesā€¦ who gave the damn rebels boats! An attack from the sea? They might well set sail for Mother England and sow their raucous dissent amongst the good king loving folk. That would never do! This must be stopped! Just as soon as the Regularsā€¦ reinforce. Blah of a turn.

1 Like

Quite! They might get all argumentative and not meekly acquiesce to the demands of the Prime Minister of the day. What price strong and stable then, eh?

Speaking of the rebels, this was also a turn to burn 1-move cards. The Continentals chased Loyalists out of Norfolk, while the Militia did things with the natives that resulted in North Carolina turning a fetching dark grey. A light sprinkling of reinforcements elsewhere.

Ha-rumph. The loyalists were the lucky recipients of two turns in a row; the first saw a Pyrrhic victory in New Hampshire to disrupt the rebel control of that northern colony, but alas, I fear the line will not hold.

The second turn saw a raiding party in the south break the weakly defended South Carolina territory, and a command decision roll allowed one troop to move into North Carolina as well, making it 4-4ā€¦

The militia followed by the Continentals tidied up after the Crownā€™s rampage. The Carolinas were recaptured, the last Indian holdout in Virginia swept up, and a raiding party led into Georgia. Also New Hampshire came back into the fold. A nice rebellious map.

Hm- logged into another game vs Bgamerjoe, mentioned above, to find myself 0-8 down with nowhere to deploy reinforcements. Fortunately no one has played truce cards yet, but thatā€™s ā€¦ not going well.

Two loyalist turns and a regular turn left the mapā€¦ changed. Maine has seen the error of its ways and has been welcomed back into the fold. Georgia has also decided theyā€™d like to be on the almost winning side.

Most remarkably, a battle in western Connecticut pitted a combined force of patriots and continentals against loyalists, Hessians, and Regulars. Shockingly, the dice favored the crown, and left the colony in disarray. Much will change on the next two turns, to be sure.

Also, the Regulars had to play a truce card. Not that it matters now, as weā€™re in round 8, I think.

And the war makes it into the final year (!). It takes the militia followed by the Continentals to recapture Connecticut, and the Continentals break out of Delaware to dispute Maryland. In the next Continental turn, an all-out attack on Georgia courtesy of a late-arriving truce card is entirely successful on all fronts, and entirely obviated by a British unit command-decisioning into S. Carolina. Hmph. Things are still going the rebelsā€™ way, but theyā€™re braced for the Crownā€™s last-ditch answerā€¦

It appears that the crown will allow the rebels their freedomā€¦ this time. The loyalists managed to break NH, and the Regulars captured PA, but it was not enough. The score stands at 7-5 in favor of the rabble rousers, with the patriots yet to moveā€¦ GG, as always. Iā€™ll look for another invite if youā€™re so inclined?

1 Like

The rebels try to top off their victory by clearing New Hampshire and, Battle of New Orleans style, get wiped out to a man. Fortunes of war. 7-5 it is.

Excellent, I will set up a new game.

1 Like

And weā€™re off. Iā€™ve switched my thinking insofar as freedom, apparently, and have placed patriots and continentals in various locationsā€¦

Well, obviously you wouldnā€™t want to be a pro-tax Monarchist every time? :wink:

Reinforcements placed: the forces of misguided defiance of legitimate authority get the first shot. Good luck!

Continentals first attempt at the Boston Tea Party was unsuccessful. Apparently, they found it delicious with some little cakes and cucumber sandwiches minus the crusts. And the China patternā€¦ why, the missus would justā€¦

Methodical. All the regulars land in Halifax, and a mixed force of regulars and militia sail down to Falmouth, extending royal governance to Maine. All the militia reinforcements appear in Falmouth and pop over the border to Portsmouth to do the same to New Hampshire. In northern New York, Indians are recruited inn the face of others misguidedly joining the rebels. Neat, orderly, tidy. A nice tidy continent, thatā€™s what we want.

The patriots secured Georgia in the name of free tidiness. After all, weā€™re not animals.

They also attacked Boston and found their way to the same party that bewitched the continentalsā€¦ with the same results.

An elite squad of German cleaners lands in New York and with the help of the regulars and some slightly grubby militia, tidies up western Connecticut. A flying column of regulars from New Hampshire passes through the inexplicably robust Boston garrison and sweeps up in Rhode Island. Some casualties are taken, but neatly.

Edit: the opening strategy of yeah, just going to ignore Boston, Iā€™ve got better things to do with my cubes, seems to have worked :smirk:

The timely arrival of the French Foreign Legion and 6 Continentals into Savannah (the only place I could reinforce, incidentally), coupled with a warship, allowed successful attacks into both North and South Carolina, bringing both of those colonies into the fold of freedom.

It pained me, but my home in North Jersey will have to hold strong, fomenting the underground resistance and awaiting the arrival of reinforcementsā€¦ no Taylor Ham or good pizza for you, Redcoats!

The strategy of crushing the source of the rebellion continues. After using a redistribution card to lightly sprinkle garrisons across the north and bring regulars up to the front line, Eastern Connecticut and central Massachusetts were secured. The south can have its brief illusion of freedom, for now.