1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

After three turns in a row, with which you’d think I’d have accomplished more, Georgia has been rid of loyalists. The Army merely reinforced, and the militia were forced to sail a tiny boat on their second turn, resulting in potshots taken in North Carolina without any change of loyalty there.

I’m jealous - that trip is on my list! Not so much the wife’s, but…

The regulars took New Jersey from the sea, and with a spare warship stiffened the south a bit. The militia were forced to play a truce card and generally stiffened the lines and recruited some Indians, nothing too dramatic.

Well, finished my Ledaig, time to go shopping…

I went ahead and took the plunge last night, playing my first game against the AI.

Lost 6-4 as the Americans.

But it was pretty fun!

Thanks for the inspiration, guys.

I’ve never been so 50/50 about an app before.

I love the time period, the boardgame gets good reviews … but HexWar is no stranger to suckiness and it certainly ain’t free.

And the app continues to stare at me from my wishlist.

1 Like

Ardbeg Corrycrecken… it’s about $80, but well worth the price of admission if you like the peaty stuff. Good luck finding (and affording) a bottle of Supernova - they released it in '09, '10, '14, and '15. A bottle of the 2009 is near impossible to find, and even the 2014 (my favorite) is upwards of $500 now. If I had any left I’d send you a bit, but alas, its long gone.

And to the topic at hand… Continental Army used a warship, of all things, to take North Carolina and eliminate the force in Virginia… which I still don’t control for some reason. Unclaimed natives (not the best verbiage. Unallied?) prevent control?

The militia notionally* carried out an amphibious attack on Rhode Island. Intended to be a harassing attack, it succeeded - much running away on the rebels’ side. The regulars then reinforced RI and started to clear NY, sacrificing the native force to clear out the rebels’ own Indians, and pushing the blue-white lines back in the south of the state. Take ground and hold it, Mr Howe.

*notionally as it was two militia and four regulars. Plenty of glory to be shared around though.

The continentals awoke to an untenable board. Luckily, they were able to play an event card which recruited 8 Natives. Although they bravely fell in battle, they assisted in the reclamation of South Carolina and Rhode Island.

I do have to apologize, somewhat, as the battle in RI should have gone another way - the dice got “stuck” on their sides for upwards of a minute, with the results just spinning and spinning. The games solution was to reroll them, resulting in more hits for me on the second roll than on the first. Not that it’s surprising, but shows a surprising issue with the Hexwar programming. A game this dependent on dice shouldn’t allow rolls to hang like that. Nonetheless, we’re playing friendly games, but this does make me wonder about using this as a tournament game.

The patriot militia got a go afterwards and attacked into southeastern NY. Another bug popped up, in that the Betsy Ross event failed to occur. It should have replaced fled militia with continental Army immediately. The battle resolved in my favor, but no Army appeared to replace the two fled militia units.

The score stands at 6-6 with a truce card played on both sides. The forces of freedom are ensconced in the south and making inroads in the north, praying that a British man o’ war doesn’t make a sudden appearance.

That map looks a lot less good than it did… With lots of militia reinforcement - those guys must have run away a lot - a pincer attack from NJ and NH takes NY for the Crown. 7-6

I think the RI result is justice balancing the scales a bit, so no worries :smirk: According to the manual, the Betsy Ross card turns fleeing Loyalist militia into Patriot militia - that might explain why you didn’t see what you expected.

Dammit… that’s what happens when I make moves pre-coffee…

The patriots had 9 whopping reinforcements this turn, thanks to a surplus of men and some remotivated runaways. Although I was forced to play the truce card, I was assisted by the reappearance of Betsy Ross (do both decks have one? Am I imagining things? Is the AI taking mercy on my moronic move of last turn? Will we ever know?) and another event which allowed the patriots to ignore fled rolls (if only there were more of those).

A battle in western NY did nothing much more than allow the natives on both sides to disappear into the wilderness. No matter, the crown had more to lose than I. A battle in Albany may have had very different results were it not for my event cards; they allowed me to win almost without loss, brining it back to 6-6 and setting me up for a loss, considering the loyalists (?) still have a turn, I think.

That last bit makes me wish there were a counter of sorts showing who had yet to go this round…

Bottom left-hand corner :smiley:

The Crown plays the second truce card and attacks into Massachusetts and New York. The Massachusetts attack fails despite some very dubious command decisions from the local rebel commander, but New York is carried, granting the British a very marginal 7-6 victory.

Good game. :blush: Another round?

Hexwar gripes #12955; please have a game timer, or at least let me delete the 4 non-moving games from my mp list.

Sonuva… that’s the closest one yet! If only I hadn’t been forced to play the truce card…

Absolutely another one. And agreed on the gripe. I still have one in the queue from a million days ago. With a friend IRL who won’t take his damn turn!

Created a couple of games, so hopefully you can grab one. :slight_smile:

And we’re off!

Straight into battle. The French arrive off the bat, in RI. Emboldened, the Continentals sieze NJ and NH, and secure Boston. The militia then quietly reinforce, and recruit some natives. The rebels are in a mood to kick ass and chew bubblegum, just as soon as someone invents it.

Asked and answered. The Hessians, not to be outdone, answered the French with an appearance in Nova Scotia. A warship enabled them, along with a force of regular army, to sail south to southern Jersey. Not the Jersey anyone really wants, but it was less defended and closer to troops in PA and MD. It’ll do for now.

The loyalists had an uneventful turn, merely recruiting Natives in northwestern NY.

A geographically diverse turn. With 7 militia reinforcements, the rebels took Maine with French help. From this springboard, the Continentals struck into Quebec and Nova Scotia, carrying the fight to the so-called loyalists. In the south, more French reinforcements landed in Savannah and took Georgia with the help of local forces. Crises to the north and south -.which way will the Crown turn?

I do not care for that one bit. The forces of some-order, namely the loyalists, reinforced into their only available area of Delaware and moved into MD; their breeches must be in a bunch as they rolled three hits - the first time I’ve ever seen that. An easy victory. They also moved back into Quebec, assisted by the natives, and scored a relatively easy victory there as well.

Not to be outdone, the British played Benedict Arnold and convinced the lone continental in Nova Scotia that the cold north was no place for someone dressed in summer garb. Once issued a thick redcoat, they wisely switched allegiances and returned NS to its rightful owner. The lone Frenchman in Maine was also easily defeated (insert French joke here), reinforcing the northern border.

The British got to go again, attacking into northern NJ. Although unsuccessful, they did whittle down the defending forces prior to strategically exiting the battlefield into Pennsylvania.

At least it’s not 6-1 anymore…

1 Like