1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

The loyalists were able to recapture the great white north, and the continentals reinforced the lines. An uneventful two turns, honestly. Time is not on my side here though, being down 8-4… the south is looking ripe for the taking, but without a ship on the horizon…

Raided into Quebec again and moved reinforcements to the Maine front. Recruited more Indians for a token bit of movement south of the Potomac. Not a ship or truce card in sight…

Reclaimed Quebec… but the same for awful movement cards. This is a slow one, and at this point slow is not in my favor.

Landed some French troops in Savannah, and freed NYC. Have we ever made it to turn 6 before?

An event card allowed 2 Regulars and 4 Hessians to infiltrate NYC… taking advantage of that, reinforcements moved from Northern NJ and seized NYC with the loss of all 4 Hessians.

Regulars got a second go at it. My hand looked great, with a two army warship card and an event card that gave me all fled natives plus two, for a total of 8. I attacked and conquered Boston, losing all the Natives in the process. I also attacked into RI, hoping to even the colony control a bit as the game nears its end (no, I don’t think we’ve ever gotten this far). Lost in RI, although I do have to call shenanigans on Hexwar - apparently, any die that doesn’t land flat (helluva balancing act, there) counts as a hit. Lost two this way when the die could’ve been fled or hit… just reinforces how much the dice hate me.

A warship card! The USS Languid shipped the French up from Savannah to reclaim Boston, while the USS Unhurried drifted north with a raiding party up the St Lawrence to annoy Quebec, again.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about the dice balancing on their edges too.

Haven’t made a move yet, but your ship names made me spit some good scotch lol!

I gained 6 Hessians. Then promptly stuck them somewhere in Jersey or Maryland, before looking at my movement cards. Blame that one on the Ardbeg and the lack of an undo button.

Regular loyalist reinforcements went to Nova Scotia and reclaimed Quebec by way of the HMS Hovercraft. I shit you not, these tiny boats sailed off to the southwest, disappeared off the map, and sailed into Quebec directly from north. Over land. Twice, mind you. The trip took long enough that I almost force closed the app, thinking my loyalists lost to scurvy or the Bermuda Triangle.

Had I known my warships could sail overland and forest and hill and dell, I’d have attacked the southern colonies long ago.

Bugs notwithstanding, this one seems to be a lost cause, with the rebellious rebels ahead 9-4. I have a truce card but am obviously loathe to play it.

1 Like

Well, distributed the militia reinforcements and moved my native battalions somewhere more potentially useful. Left Quebec alone for a change. Yeah.

Broke control of Maryland, but had to use the loyalist truce card to move. Time, I’m afraid, is not on my side.

Reclaimed Maryland, and captured Philadelphia, bringing PA into the rebellious fold. In Philly, the mass runaway of the Continentals was offset by the Betsy Ross card turning fleeing Loyalists into Patriots. Was annoying in Quebec too, after a turn’s respite.

The crown made some Hail Mary attacks into Maine, CT, PA, and Maryland. A success in Maine was followed by a bloodbath in Connecticut, with the defenders rolling five (count 'em, five) hits to start the battle. Pennsylvania was an easy and bloodless win, followed by an awful loss in Maryland as well.

Seeing no other options, the crown chooses to grant the colonies their freedom and sues for peace.

Do you see the lone French guy hanging out mid-Atlantic, btw?

Mr Washington gracefully accepts the Crown’s request for peace, and an amicable chat over 6 months of Parisian dinners seals the treaty.

Yes, that one French bloke in the sticking-out bit of Maryland that’s actually in Virginia confused me. The AI must have done one of its random command moves.

I think he fled a battle at some point… perhaps a raft was handy and he was awaiting the peace talks before rowing back ashore. Did you start a new one?

Started 2, to be on the safe side. :slight_smile:

Just had a satisfying last-turn turnaround in a game against Bgamerjoe (not an SPer, I think), where he was 6-3 up as the rebels with both his truce cards played and I had only the British regulars left with their truce card. I could guarantee dislodging GA from his grasp, had high-probablility battles which would give me NH and MD, and an outside punt at NJ. What helped was playing the Hessians in New York card and resolving that battle first so I could command decision reinforcements into NJ. A lucky command decision in NH meant I could move into Boston, and come out with a 6-4 win after being on the back foot the whole game. I guess that might be a wtf moment when he logs back in :smirk:

This all sounds very fun, but at $14 CDN, I’m hesitant to spring for this game given what else has been said about it and Hexwar in general.

Do you do these summaries with all of your games, even with non-SPers? Since there is no replay?

Accepted one of them - your go first. That’s quite a turnaround in that one - no wonder I keep losing our games lol!

Reinforcements deployed, mainly in NH, for a change. Bet the house on Boston seems to be a logical opening, but we’ll let them take their chances.

@whovian223 (and possibly @Snotty128 and @Ids and other who are interested), I feel like I’ve had my £10-worth out of the game, but largely thanks to @js619 being an excellent opponent. There seem to be enough random people on MP to also give a reasonable supply of players.

The major, major, issue is not being able to set up a private game, but @js619 and I have worked around that by co-ordinating here. Once the game’s live, there are rough edges but the core presentation, order flow and rules enforcement is actually done really well and the map and cards very clear and readable. It is quite a good-looking game.

For other games, I don’t make notes but just rely on the short-term log and the board state, which is fine: you can have a general long-term plan but the specific board state can change very abruptly (@js619’s and my last game was unusual in its slow pace and static lines). The AAR here is helpful as a supplement to the log, and therapy for rogue dice rolls.

Basically, if you know the base board game already or are confident you will, it’s worth a punt. More players and we can do a round-Robin tournament :wink:

Edit: @js619, I forgot to compliment you upthread on your choice of single malt to accompany the game. One of my favourites, although I’m currently working through a bottle of Ledaig from Tobermory. :+1:

Reinforcements placed as well, throughout the colonies. I think I may concentrate more on holding the line in this one - that seems to be a solid strategy, especially in light of my less than stellar rolling.

Great synopsis above, and I should add that I’d never played the cardboard version prior to this. It’s a pretty simple rule set with some minor things you pick up along the way (disappearing natives, for one), and getting used to the UI.

@SpiceTheCat - I enjoy the Ledaig a lot, although don’t currently have a bottle in the collection. I have some Tobermory, but it’s not my favorite - I need a little more of the Islay peat in my dram! If you have the opportunity, pick up the Ardbeg Kelpie - I think it’s their best release since Supernova.

After the Loyalist and British rounds, Maine and New Hampshire are back under the gracious rule of the Crown. Losses seemed to be about even in the opening battles.

I’ll look out for Supernova. Islay whiskies are definitely the best. A few years ago I went to Islay for a week and managed to visit most of the distilleries except Caol Ila and, oddly, Lagavulin. I did see Kilchoman, I think they’d only been running for a couple of years and so weren’t legally allowed to call their spirit whisky yet. Fascinating, went home with as many “souvenirs” as I could fit in a hopelessly impractical car. :blush: