Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome

Yeah, I thought it would be sort of jerky of me to announce the new site on the PT forums, and I couldn’t think of a good way to keep participating over there without communicating my excitement for the new venture in some way–I feel like it’s leaking out my pores. I definitely felt bad about leaving y’all in the lurch, though.

This is awesome! Thanks to JammaTal for letting me know about this.

Now I just need to go find my wizard avatar again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! Looking forward to our new community over here. Glad to see some familiar names.

Maybe a Star Realms new expansion tourney to kick this place off?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guten Tag!

Nice to see the PT crew :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Athros! How are you my friend?

2 Likes

Already said this on Twitter, but it’s good to see you all “back”. Best of luck!

4 Likes

Indeed, Welcome! Thanks for creating this place. Looking forward to many hours of previews, reviews, tournaments and discussions.

3 Likes

Thanks @Blackfyre for the rather clever hint he dropped somewhere and then somewhere else.

Also a hearty “Hulla!” to some of the lost souls (and also to the ones who toughened it out ;-P)

2 Likes

Pfew… glad someone got my “hint”. :roll_eyes:

I do not want to start a PT rant, but I am glad to leave it behind me. I had felt totally “lost” with the changes 2015/2016. What kind of bothers me is, that this guy “ElCJoe” whoever he was named before in “old PT” seemed like a decent guy. Can’t help the feeling it’s not him to blame the old site didn’t attract me.

I absolutely agree that Joe seems like a solid dude. I think his background gives him a perspective I don’t relate to all that well, but it also helps him relate better to industry insiders. To a substantial extent, Owen’s original version of PT and now our SP run on the illusion that the market doesn’t have to go the direction it’s manifestly going. While I still have hope that our niche can not only persist, but grow and draw in new gamers to introduce to the joys of the sorts of games we like, I have the impression that Slitherine want to at least remain somewhat abreast of broader trends. I doubt they’ll abandon their crunchy wargame roots, but I get the impression they want to draw in at least a part of the crowds attracted to more competitive and/or free-to-play behemoths. If that involves some productive cross-pollinating of ideas, I’m all for it, but obviously I’m also worried about any move in that direction. But if that’s the audience they want to cultivate with PT, I think it makes sense to suspect it’s because they’ll be trying to release games more suited to that audience in the future.

I thought Slitherine wanted to basically abandon mobile because it wasn’t worth the effort. The reissue of DoM might be an indication I’m wrong, as it seems much easier to develop multi-platform games in Unity, but I recall them dismissing the idea of porting the Panzer Corps engine to 64-bit platforms, thus rendering it eventually obsolete on mobile devices.

If this discussion grows, perhaps we should move it into its own “What the heck is Slitherine doing?” thread … ?

It will be interesting to see how many of the old timers come over here. I have posted my own feelings on the changes and I understand some of them.

Looking forward to finding a place to rant in any case.

4 Likes

I prefer SP already, amazing job guys! As a simple consumer of gaming with no horse in the race, I will still read PT too. I’m sure the irony doesn’t escape anyone that PT originally carved out its niche by focusing on a very specific type of games and gamers amongst a flood of general mobile gaming sites, and now SP is that niche and PT is stretching out to a wider market. But that’s not a bad thing, just progress. I sincerely wish both both websites the best, I’m all about the love of the games!

1 Like

Where’s the “donate for review” button?

J/K.

Curious, do you think metacritic will pull in your reviews?

Can’t. Metacritic has some pretty specific requirements, including that we can’t edit our reviews, must assign a score, and must mention our review hardware in every review. I’m not totally opposed to any of that, but we decided we’d rather just conclude with an idea of who might be interested in checking out a game and who should probably give it a miss.

That said, we’re our own bosses here, so pretty much anything is up for grabs. If you can think of a policy change you think would improve things, tell us what and why!

EDIT: I am apparently behind the times! I just glanced at reviews for Dishonored 2, and there is a section for “in progress and unscored” reviews. I’ll have to check into that once we’ve expanded a bit.

Oh so that’s where you were hiding :slight_smile: Glad I found this site. I was actually trying to find where ex-PT writers had gone, is anywhere, then found the link in Dave’s Twitter bio… Also good to see you now write about more varied topics.

2 Likes

Well alright! I actually never got over to PT much back in the day, but I’ve been an avid reader of the iOS feed on BGG for years.

Let’s do this thing.

2 Likes

So this is where the party went! Nice to once again see many of the old faces.

And congratulations to the hale and hearty mutineers!

2 Likes

Hey! Just stumbled across this site thanks to Dave mentioning it at BGG. Glad to see this site is up with all those great writers.

My first thought was “I must inform all the old-PT members”, but when I joined this site’s forum I immediately felt at home. Very nice to see all your familiar faces/avatars/names.

3 Likes