Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2016/10/27/willkommen-bienvenue-welcome/

I sat down to write an introduction for our new digs here at Stately Play Manor with the hope that someday a wizened Justin Bieber would be asked to narrate my words for one of the technological advances in Sid Meier’s Civilization XXXII. Something like Writing or Literature would be fine, but only because Hubris currently lacks a slot on the tech tree. As always happens when I wax rhapsodic about my writing skill, the end result tends to fall just shy [if “just shy” means not even close -ed.] of my expectations. I’m sure that you will also find this to be true, but I ask you to stick with it until the end anyway. You’ve already made it this far, after all.

Some of you may know me, but many of you may not. My name is Dave Neumann and I wrote for another site for many years, Pocket Tactics. Apart from the writing, I was also the News Editor for several years and the Editor-in-Chief for a few minutes longer than a fruit fly’s lifespan. Pocket Tactics was created years ago by the mysterious and dashing Owen Faraday who saw the future of mobile gaming and the free-to-play nightmares it contained. Thus, Pocket Tactics focused on games for gamers. High strategy games, war games, digital board games with nary a paywall in sight. It was pretty great.

The object of Stately Play is the same: focus on games that require strategy and thought and less on Skinner boxes in disguise. Unlike Pocket Tactics, which only focused on mobile gaming, we’re going to run the gamut here at Stately Play. We’ll cover games for iOS and Android, of course, but we’ll also be covering games for PC and the tabletop. We might even cover stuff that isn’t related to games at all. I’m planning on writing a monograph on the analysis of different tobacco ashes. It should be a humdinger!

Who is this “we” that I keep mentioning. If you were a Pocket Tactics reader, many of their names should be familiar: Kelsey Rinella, Alex Connolly, Tof Eklund, Tanner Hendrickson, Jim Cobb, and Matt Thrower. Of course, we may have more as time goes on. What you should know is that none of us are beholden to any master. All of us are writing what we want, when we want with no deadlines or influences from any external forces. Kelsey is the one who fronted the cash (and behind-the-scenes manpower) to get the site up and running, and none of us are getting paid for our contributions. If that ever changes, you’ll be the first ones to know.

Anyway, I’ve talked long enough. Sit back, relax, and add us to your RSS feed. I hope to bring news to you every day, while the other writers are already hard at work to review games that you, serious gamers, care about.

Thanks for checking us out, and we hope you stick along for the ride.

You can reach Dave at dave@statelyplay.com with tips or comments. You can follow us here or on our twitter page, @statelyplay.

2 Likes

Hooray! We’re live! Special thanks to Kelsey for making it all happen.

5 Likes

Does your reply improve the conversation in some way?

Be kind to your fellow community members.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas, not people.

Oh. You don’t want me to post. Okay. I get it.

5 Likes

This is awesome!!!

Welcome back guys!!!

5 Likes

Excellent–I’m so glad to see this site up and running!

4 Likes

Yes!:grin: I’m not to late for the party! Good to see you all again bitches! It’s been some while. These forums feel immediately very very good !
Thanks Dave, Alex, Kelsey and all the rest…
The best news of the year.

4 Likes

Good to be home, it must be said.

3 Likes

I just have to say, seeing familiar names in this fully operational forum is giving me goosebumps. So happy to have you all here!

2 Likes

hello Kelsey,
now i can better understand why you wanted to or had to leave the TS tourney on PT.
ok, i gladly admit that having invested your time and energy to help installing this good looking new beginning was a great idea :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks to JammaTal for alerting me to this here presence.

It seems rather comfy and classy already … although the way my profile picture appeared automatically was rather spooky. Maybe that was a Discourse thing - picking up from other forums? Eh?

Now to consider the subtle distinctions between OBollocks and OhBollox. Although “subtle” is probably not an appropriate epithet there.

3 Likes

Hi guys :slight_smile: long time no see.

4 Likes

Woo! Thanks for bringing this to life. Looking forward to future posts.

4 Likes

great to have you back, Gosenbach!

3 Likes

Good to see you too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t believe it. Goose is back​:grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Aloha, bitches!

Man, I’m ready to talk about some mobile strategy gaming. Not naming any names – ahem – but I just don’t feel like these’s much of a place for that anywhere.

We should celebrate with like a vanilla Ascension tournament or something.

8 Likes

I swear–although I obviously didn’t post it–that when I saw the post from @Goose, I thought, “It’s great to see him! Now someone should track down Duke.” Glad to see you didn’t need anyone to track you down!

Hope some of our other “lost souls” come out of the woodwork soon.

2 Likes

My yay knows no bounds. Yay!

2 Likes

Hello Dukester! glad to “see” you again.
i had missed your sharp and always enlightening and inspiring writings and argumentations.

guys, i feel like sitting in a rocking chair before a crackling fireplace, in other words: at home, again :relaxed:

1 Like

Nice to be able to waffle unfettered.

1 Like