What are you playing?

My boys taken to smash like a duck to water. The games really kid friendly. Unlocking characters is based on something he is doing already, and if he fails the unlock challenge you can try again in the other games menu. Classic mode is 2 player too, so I can help him to the final boss battles.

1 Like

Haha, god, I was playing some Subnautica, and I received a lifepod signal from 500m down in a part of the map I have never been to before, and I got to a point where I was just terrified to continue and just saved and shut it down. This might be the scariest game Iā€™ve ever played.

3 Likes

Hey, guys, I am new here and this is my all-time favorite topic to discuss. Apart from this do you ever think about the shooter video game like Destiny 2, Call of Duty?
I am not able to find the latest series of the game, well hopefully this new year comes up with the latest game. One can see the trailer of Sea of Solitude video game which is not yet released.

Welcome!

This may sound odd, but I happily play shooters (quite like Destiny and 2, for all its warts), but the only one I really think about is Overwatch. I almost wrote a piece here about the similarities between choosing stay-at-home parenthood and choosing to play Mercy, but felt weird about that since Iā€™d already written a piece about how well playing Reinhardt evokes feelings of fatherhood for me. Are there issues you think itā€™d be interesting to get the perspectives of Stately Players on?

But if youā€™re playing Destiny 2 on PS4, I never really developed a crew there after jumping ship on the Xbox. Be happy to add you as a friend.

I used to play shooters a lot more before I had kids. I do play Oberwatch from time to time, though.

Thank you and I really want to become a part of it.

The holidays were good to me, new acquisitions, good time spent dabbling amongst the games during the holidays. :sunglasses:

With the start of 2019, time to focus a bit. Been having the urge to purge and cleanse some xenos and heretics, while preparing for the Jan 24, 2019, scheduled release of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2. Despite having picked up Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach and Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus during the Steam Winter Sale, Iā€™ve started a new Battlefleet Gothic: Armada campaign to focus on in preparation for the sequel:

Set during the Gothic War, also known as the 12th Black Crusade in the Warhammer 40,000 lore, the game follows Admiral Spire of Battlefleet Gothic as he and the Imperium fight against the Forces of Chaos led by Warmaster Abaddon.

In a similar vein, with an urge to also enjoy a bit of Lovecraftian horror, going to hit the tabletop wtih some Arkham Horror gaming. As usual, Iā€™m late to the party but I did finally get Arkham Horror: The Card Game over Christmas, going to learn it this weekend:

2 Likes

I played so much Onirim over the Christmas break that I almost canā€™t believe it.

My father died on December 22 and this game just had such a calming effect on me. When my wifeā€™s grandmother died almost 20 years ago, Dr. Mario actually helped her because it was just such a mechanical game. It didnā€™t require a lot of deep thinking and it kept her hands busy.

Onirim did that for me.

6 Likes

Lost Worlds 0/50, eh?
Good old times :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

Condolences on your dad, man. Sorry.

1 Like

Iā€™m very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Iā€™m also very sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences, as well.

Iā€™m taking a page from some of you other folks here, in that I have decided to actually work on completing some games / campaigns on my list of games to play in 2019. :slight_smile:

In that spirit, Iā€™ve actually put a post in the VideoGameGeek thread to participate in their The 2019 Videogame Challenge! where the goal is to ā€œbeat at least 5 games which accumelate to at least 50 hours of game timeā€. Since I have over 13+ games that Iā€™d like to play this year, especially after getting a Switch for Christmas, and the recent Steam Winter Sale, I went ahead and put up a list for the optional hardcore challenge. The hardcore challenge is more of a ā€œstretch goalā€ for me, Iā€™m not really planning to stress about it, but a few of the games Iā€™m planning on playing this year are not long ones, so figured why not put up the list and see where it goes. :thinking:

Along with my desire to also have more games hit the tabletop, I also posted in the BoardGameGeek thread for 1 Player Guild / SGOYT - 2019 Solitaire Goals. Before heading down the rabbit hole of expansions and additional scenarios for Arkham Horror: The Card Game, one of my goals is to let it duke it out with other FFG Lovecraftian games I own for their place in the gaming budgets, for both time and money. However, I intend to embrace their philosophy of ā€œThere is no pressure to finish anything. If you donā€™t complete one goal by the end of the year, thatā€™s fine! Thatā€™s not the purpose of this list.ā€ :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Um, list of these Lovecraftian games, please? : ) I have the TCG too, but Iā€™m always looking for some quality Cthulhu.

Perfect! I am similar in that I have so many systems and games. I donā€™t need more games, I need more time! The ā€œhitā€ from buying more games is no substitute.

1 Like

Itā€™s crazy how many FFG has! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/universe/arkham-horror-files

I donā€™t have their revamp of the classic Arkham Horror into a 3rd Edition, that recently came out. I believe those in the know are expecting it to receive an expansion announcement this month, Iā€™m still monitoring the situation on BoardGameGeek for that 3rd Edition. I do have the 2nd Edition with a few of the expansions, but Iā€™m not going to try to track down the expansions that I donā€™t have since they are out of print and so are now collectorā€™s items.

For me, the ones that Iā€™m evaluating this Winter are Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, and Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. Iā€™m tracking my progress in my BGG Solitaire Goals thread post.

1 Like

Ambitious! I picked up Mansions of Madness 2E on a sale before the holidays and am hoping to try that soon myself. I think it will have to be solitaire for me as wellā€“at least at first, so that if I want to bring it to the table for the group, I will be ale to easily teach it.

For what itā€™s worth, I had Arkham Horror for a while (2E) and we played it many times. But our plays began to feel more like, ā€œletā€™s give this game one more chanceā€, rather than ā€œthis game is greatā€“letā€™s play it again.ā€ We wanted to like it but just realized we didnā€™t. For me to try 3E, it would have to streamline some things and make combat more intuitive. Combat in 2E always felt clunky, like it had too many factors involved for a game with so many other aspects.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a sealed copy of Arkham Horror The Card Game for over a year now and still havenā€™t gotten it to the table. You are all motivating me to start up a solo session soon.

4 Likes

I have Arkham 2E, and always liked it, but had difficulty finding opportunities to play (kind of a theme with me, really). Itā€™s been long enough now that Iā€™d likely have to relearn the game, which isnā€™t tremendously appealing with so many other games high on my list. But 3E is supposed to do exactly what I think most of us would want: streamline the rules to make it easier to learn and faster to play, reduce table space requirements, and add modularity and narrative elements so brilliantly explored in their more recent Arkham Files games. These then feed back into the mechanics so as to add meaningful tactical choices. Much as I enjoyed 2E, my recollection is that early movement usually felt a lot like playing Betrayal at House on the Hill, where youā€™re basically bumbling around hoping good things happen and that youā€™re in a lucky position when gates open up. My understanding is that gates are now more predictable for reasons founded in narrative, with trade-offs between various destinations not arising out of purely random variance. Plus, there are fewer decks of cards.

So, if I were in the market for a game like 3E, it sounds superb to me. I think my kids could learn it with some commitment, but weā€™ve just taken on the ambitious projects of learning Cthulhu Wars and Talon while starting the My Little Pony RPG, and I have hope that Iā€™ll be able to get them interested in Victorian Masterminds and Imperial Assault, and maybe Heroes of the Aturi Cluster 2E once itā€™s finished. And War Chest. So I should really hold off on buying into yet another FFG system.

4 Likes

My eldest received 6 of these from friends for his December birthday and now both boys are obsessed with them. They kept trying to play on the wood floor so much with underwhelming results. So my Dad and I molded some spare plexiglass into two arenas for them over the Christmas break.

2 Likes