What are you playing?

Does anyone know of any premium CCG-style games on iOS that doesn’t use IAP, but just in-game methods for growing your collection? I’ve already played Lost Portal but am looking for a similar experience. I think Thronebreaker is one and I was looking briefly at Spellsword Cards: Demontide, but I don’t know much about those games. I’m open to suggestions.

Note that I’m not looking at a roguelike game but a game that is more like a CCG where you are building your decks outside of combat.

Thanks!

2 Likes

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol - one of the best RPGs ever made just returned. It’s my birthday in two days. This is a sign.

4 Likes

Happy 70th!

6 Likes

2 Likes

Hi all, going on a work trip and only taking my iPad for games…

Reccomendations with no internet? Trying to pick between

• Wildfrost
  • Railroads
  • Is there an srpg or something?

I am mostly playing Slice and Dice on my current trip. Wildfrost looks interesting, I have not seen that before.

Forgot about slice and dice - will add to my iPad :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Wildfrost is great and it’s free to try until you beat the first boss, so …

Wildfrost has been fun so far.

Railroads is a classic, though, so can’t go wrong there, either.

So much of this goddamn game lately. Love it. Although I am kind of with whoever mehhed about pixel graphics.

2 Likes

What kind of modes are you playing on it?

Seems like so many options - almost too many options…

I think of this more like I do about Dream Quest - the game just overcomes the graphics.

3 Likes

Easy lmao? Just beat easy yesterday on all devices, playing normal now.

Do wish they synced achievements through iCloud though

1 Like

My complaint was more that it is physically difficult on my eyes rather than a dislike for a simple aesthetic.

Bounced hard off of Wildfrost - am I missing something?

I also bounced off it. I thought it was good at first and bought it, but then regretted that a few hours later. It has already moved off my main ipad screen into a folder.

1 Like

I love Wildfrost, but it took a while because it plays significantly differently than most deckbuilders. Unit positioning and the countdown timers are hugely important, so much so that I move units around almost every turn. Lost a ton of early runs by simply not paying close enough attention to see how and when my leader was going to get its ass kicked.

I also don’t think the art does the game any favors, because it looks like a very cutesy, “cozy” game, but it’s extremely difficult. Again, I like it, but I’ve played since its Steam release.

Agreed on the graphics, definitely an immediate turn off

This is why I like Wildfrost - these rogulike deck builders are a dime a dozen these days so one that tweaks the formula is always welcome. The positioning and countdown timers make this a fresh spin on the genre.

1 Like

Fights in Tight Spaces. I like this more than Slay the Spire; the 3D battlefield and turn-based card combat reminds me of the halcyon days of Metal Gear Acid. The ‘level’ layer is perhaps not as well-balanced as StS, but the battles are deeper.

5 Likes