To alpha and beyond: Hades' Star

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2016/12/23/to-alpha-and-beyond-hades-star/

“Captain Drigo, sir, system VXG-0199 is now in view of our long-range sensors.”

Drigo turned from yet another review of the ship’s inventory projections to face the helmsman. “Visuals if you please, Mr. Gupta.”

A three-dimensional image of a star appeared before Drigo. It was a type-G, a yellow dwarf, as promised. Drigo let out an inaudible sigh of relief. That was one anxiety laid to rest.

“There she is, sir. A beauty, is she not?”

Drigo glanced at Commander Shin, his executive officer. It was well hidden, but the relief was plain on her voice too. The whole crew was nervous, Drigo knew, everything had hinged on this.

“Aye, XO, she is indeed. Nice and habitable, as promised. Looks like we have a new home.” A good captain sought to reassure his crew.

Old Man Vigabool had paid a small fortune for the rights to colonize this system and was happy for the opportunity, Drigon knew. The Hades rush was underway as soon as the initial scouting vessels confirmed what humanity’s mega-corporations had long dreamed—the Hades Galaxy was ripe with star systems to colonize and exploit. Millions of stars were said to have planets fit to terraform and asteroids to mine and those with the wherewithal to do so began snapping up rights to systems by the tens, hundreds, or even thousands. Thousands of expeditions were launched in record time.

[caption id=“attachment_647” align=“aligncenter” width=“500”]

It’s not much, but it’s home.[/caption]

Vigabool had been more conservative in his approach. He hired a data-mining team to find one solar system, the right system, to purchase. This was still a gamble, of course. Drigo had been monitoring the reports coming back from Hades. Many stars had simply not lived up to what had been promised. Many were actually unstable red-dwarf systems, quite dangerous to be close to, let alone colonize. If VXG-0199 had been one of those systems the entire journey and millions of credits would have been wasted, not to mention the risk to the lives of all those under Drigo’s command.

Mr. Gupta, any sign of company in the system," Commander Shin inquired.

Drigo’s attention snapped back to the task at hand. There wasn’t time to relax yet. For every report of a bogus yellow star there had been three of armed squatters lying in wait as the system’s rightful owners arrived. There were also the more troubling reports from the scouts to consider, the rumors that kept Drigo up at night.

“Scan all visible sectors on full power,” Drigo added to Shin’s order.

[caption id=“attachment_648” align=“aligncenter” width=“500”]

I’m givin’ it all she’s got, Captain![/caption]

Several of the scout ships had reported sighting technologically advanced ships not of human design. Those reports were readily dismissed back home as outliers. An intergalactic gold rush could not be held back by much of anything, there was too much money to be made, and Hades Galaxy had been cleared for colonization.

“No sign of company, Captain,” Guta announced moments later.

“Very well, Mr. Gupta, take us in. We will set up short-range scanners once we’re established our initial bases. I want to take a very thorough look as soon as we are able.”

This would not be easy, Drigo knew, but he hadn’t signed up for easy. It would be an adventure, and he was ready for it.

“Welcome home, people.”

=====

Hades’ Star is a space-based MMO where you take command of a new colony in the Hades Galaxy. The game is currently in alpha testing and already hits a lot of my 4x buttons. You start out with a small presence around a stable yellow star—your home system and (relatively) safe zone—and begin your inexorable march outward. You will colonize and improve planets, ship raw materials between planets and moons to earn credits, and mine fuel from nearby asteroids to run your burgeoning colony. You’ll look to grow your economy into a galactic powerhouse, build a formidable fleet of transports, mining vessels, and battleships, and take on the indigenous Cerberus—who won’t cede their territory willingly.

The action of Hades’ Star comes in the form of battles with the Cerberus forces within your own system, as well as high tension trips to red stars within the galaxy. Red stars offer a lot to lure adventurous colonists—there are asteroids to mine, for one, but more intriguing are the alien artifacts that lie upon the planets within these systems. These artifacts, once unearthed and researched, provide blueprints for technological upgrades for your fleet of spacecraft. With reward comes risk, however, and red stars are only stable for ten minutes and then boom: they go nova along with anyone and anything unlucky enough to be nearby.

[caption id=“attachment_649” align=“aligncenter” width=“500”]

This would be the “boom” he was speaking of.[/caption]

That’s where things stand in the alpha, and aside from the expected balancing issues and bugs the game is very good and offers a fun gameplay now and a great deal of promise for the future. Most of this promise is derived from something there isn’t a lot of yet: diplomacy and social interactions. The idea of a mobile MMO is a powerful one, and the potential is high here for something really great. At present you can band together with other players to form corporations. These corporations don’t do much more than provide a venue to chat in the alpha, but in the future it will be a way to pool resources and collaborate on challenges. The possibility of things like espionage (and counter espionage), bidding on contracts, waging trade wars, and initiating hostile takeovers are quite appealing. The stage is set for collaboration and competition to occur in something other than blasting your opponents to bits in open conflict.

I want to state very clearly that all of the above are my hopes for the game, not planned features. The developers have a long list of ideas and have gathered a great many more from players in the alpha. They intend to evaluate what works and what doesn’t and start trying things as the game moves forward. Hades’ Star will be a living, breathing game that evolves as the developers see what works and what doesn’t and how the player population grows and reacts. They are very hesitant to even enumerate some of these ideas—such things tend to be spun and remembered as promises down the road—but assured me that diplomacy and social interactions are integral to the game and one the game’s three design pillars. Their goal is to create a galaxy full of political intrigue, alliances (both real and of convenience), rivalries, and even betrayals.

Hades’ Star is finishing up alpha testing in early January. The open beta will start a few weeks later and will also serve as the game’s soft-launch. Hades’ Star will be a free-to-play title with no restrictions on progress or annoying energy bars that limit how much you can play. In-app-purchases will buy crystals which can be converted into credits and used to generally speed up your progression in the game. Based on my experiences in the alpha I can vouch for it being possible to make good progress and have a lot of fun without paying a cent. The developers have also been very clear to me that a goal of theirs is to make the game fun for free-to-players and recognize the importance of them for the game’s future. I for one will be happy to spend some money on such a fun game and invest in the promise of what’s to come. I can’t wait to go forth and colonize. I hope to see you in the Hades Galaxy.

So, how does pvp work? Is this the sort of game where people can attack you and wreck all your stuff? Or more like gems of war, e.g., where you have a defense team, but nothing bad happens if you lose?

Just started the game and enjoying it so far. I do see the potential. As far I can tell now, you have a secure homebase and the fighting with other players can only take place outside the base.
For those who are interested, I’m also JMH.75 in the game :grinning:

As far as I can tell there’s no PVP, players work together in instances to get artifacts from planets and destroy this other AI force before the stars go supernova.

Reviving this topic with the release of the full version yesterday… I’m enjoying what I’ve played so far, but one of my first impressions is that the F2P monetezation / timer nonsense is strong with this dev.

1 Like

Yup. I’m still working my way back up to the scale I achieved in the alpha. I still rarely jump to the red stars, but they’ve made it significantly less painful to lose your entire battleship fleet to cerberus units.

Ive been poking around a bit with this to see whats on offer (mostly empty sectors it seems) and Im still on the fence about whether Im wasting my time or not. The gameplay loop so far seems to be to plunder a red star, which is not exactly difficult, then let your research station unlock the goodies over 8 hours. I admit Im only on the 2nd red star so maybe the game opens uo a bit later. I also admit I do keep coming back to push my transport ships around my planets - even if I only get chump change for doing so.

1 Like

Exactly where I stand as well. Hoping it opens up at some point - only having five ships right now is somewhat limiting…

I know nothing of the corporations - guessing it’s an alliance of sorts? Do we want to form StatelyPlay, Inc.?

so far I log in, it has me build something, it asks me to use currency to speed it up, I think “to save a minute? heck no” and then I get bored in 10 seconds and close the app. I remember to come back an hour or two later and do the next tutorial task.

It asks you to use credits to speed things up during the tutorial, but seems to give you enough credits to pay for what it wants.

no, you can’t make me! I won’t! ha!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m not really wanting for credits. The yellow currency, though…

It seems like several other people share similar thoughts on this game. I picked it up based on coverage from here and PT, but I’m not sure it delivers on the promise of a 4X MMO. I seem to be spending a lot of time waiting for my transports to make deliveries between planets.

That said, I’m nearing on the 10k credits needed to create an alliance (or corporation), so if there’s interest in a Stately Play one, I will happily make it.

2 Likes

It’s strange… I can fully see the f2p mechanics, and the gameplay has yet to really reveal itself, but I find myself drawn to my little space transports, moving goods between the (beautifully rendered) planets and systems… I threw the devs the 4.99 permanent upgrade to ship production or whatever, but haven’t felt compelled to spend anything more. It’s satisfying enough to log in for ten minutes at a pop, do some shipping, and upgrade something or mine an artifact and have something to do when I login again four hours later.

(Mind you, part of me is screaming about the above and f2p being the bane of the App Store).

1 Like

I have softened my personal dislike of F2P a bit this year, mostly due to some really generous examples like Rogue Wizards, Fire Emblem: Heroes, and Eternal Card Game. I still dislike the fact that most mobile (and even many desktop) MMOs have gone the F2P route with pay-to-win mechanics.

Hades’ Star is a weird hybrid. The dev states on the website that they don’t want to create a game that needs to become and all-consuming obsession to get ahead. One where you can check-in, do some stuff, and leave for a few hours. They seem to have succeeded at that. Unfortunately, they made some design decisions that hurt the core gameplay.

I keep seeing in the global chat that the game gets much more interesting at higher levels. Seeing some of the upgrade modules higher-level player have, I can believe this (teleports, delay nova, EMP, oh my!). The problem is that the two early game loops are boring. You have the shuttle ships around for credits loop (mentioned above), and you have the red star mission loop. At red-star level one, its drive your battle ship at the Cerberus ship, maybe activate a shield, and grab as many artifacts as you can. There’s no tactical choices. These get better as the enemy ships become more varied at higher levels, and you unlock more ship modules, but there’s not a lot to recommend to someone starting out other than, “It gets more fun. Trust me.”

Offer still remains for a Stately Play corporation so the fine folks here can cooperate on red star missions (I hear this is another necessary, interesting facet of gameplay at higher levels). My economic engine is decent so I can afford it, but I would like to gauge interest before spending 10k credits.

I’d be up for it, but I think we’d need more than two of us to justify the expense.

I’d likewise be up for it. Though the main benefit of corps comes into play once you can afford system to system trading, or are able to be online at the same time to help out in red star excursions.

That’s three. Not a huge start, but a start. I will see what I can set up tomorrow as I’m just shy of 10k. Post or message me with your game tag, and I will send the invite.

I was thinking of not tying the name directly to Stately Play website so we can recruit from outside. How to you feel about “Dignitias” as an homage to Stately Play’s dignified pace, and the fact that corporation are measured on influence?

I can also attest to the fact that the shipping gamely gets more fun with a transport ships at lvl 2 and the shipping computer. With the computer, you get an 8% bonus if it picks up a shipment in-transit, so it’s like a puzzle to figure out fuel efficient routes to maximize your credits.

Dignitas is the name of a swiss euthanasia/assisted suicide group. I’d still join, but thats the first thing the name brings to mind for me